AirBNB to cancel all Washington DC rentals during inauguration

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y

Every DC resident I know is happy with the decision including those that list on AirBnB. Most had already blocked out the dates for the next week to avoid problems. While many in othet parts of the country may not understand the seriousness that we took it here, let me just say I had one friend who had to make a phone call to his kids during the event to say goodbye because they believed they would be dead by the end of the day. So a few airbnb books, no one gives a care about.

9
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    5y

    From The Washington Post: "[Airbnb] said it will refund guests and reimburse hosts for canceled bookings. Airbnb has also banned from the platform all people associated with hate groups or involved in last week’s abortive insurrection at the Capitol.

    The announcement comes two days after Airbnb released a seven-step plan to keep its hosts and neighborhood residents safe, which included canceling the reservations of any guests associated with hate groups."

    0
    Topic locked
  • Robert GilstrapPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
    5y

    How sad, (but typical for Airbnb); I guess nothing surprises me anymore than hyper "woke" companies like Airbnb, Amazon, Facebook, Google virtue signaling...

    Hosts can't see potential guest pictures because you're probably a racist, you can't stay in a house because you're probably a terrorist and the new McCarthyism of the left...if you are even "associated" (not even sure what that means)  with some group you are banned.

    America just keeps getting better and better...

    7
    Topic locked
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Once again, AirBnB does not see themselves as a marketing platform. They are social justice warriors that will try to dictate what customers can do with their private property. I'm not advertising with them any more. I've stopped advertising through them.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
    6
    Topic locked
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    5y

    How is what Airbnb doing any different from airlines not allowing known terrorists to fly on their planes? It seems to me Airbnb is just protecting us. 

    5
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Carolyn Fuller

    Yes, the TSA is a government entity tasked with providing security at airports. Airbnb is a booking website taking a political stand. They didn't ban reservations when LA was being looted. Hold individuals accountable for their actions, not everyone in the broadest generalization of a group you can manage.

    Supporting treating or assuming something about one based on a broad generalization? Hmmm, where has that happened before? Oh right! That's that bad habit we are still trying to recover from.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    5y

    Sorry but I'm not seeing how banning people who are members of known hate groups is assuming something based on a broad generalization.

    2
    Topic locked
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Will everyone just move over to a Vrbo or will Vrbo follow suit?

    What about hotels, camp grounds etc? 

    I don't think a determined person or group will be swayed just from their Airbnb being cancelled.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Robert GilstrapPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
    5y

    @Carolyn Fuller I see the difference because I don't need Airbnb (or any other giant tech company) to "protect" me, what I need them to do is be a business and focus on business and not BS social or political issues. I ESPECIALLY don't need them to censor speech of ANY kind regardless of how repulsive or inflammatory it might be. Make no mistake; Airbnb could care less about you and they are certainly not out to "protect" you. They are out to do what is in their perceived best interest and I have no problem with that except for the BS virtue signaling. 

    As an aside, airlines don't refuse to allow terrorists to fly on their planes, our corrupt government does. It created and maintains the no fly list and contains hundreds of thousands of names of people who have never even been accused of a crime much less committed any crime (thus completely unconstitutional for lack of due process). 

    2
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Carolyn Fuller

    I'm referencing the original posters comment of canceling DC reservations, not banning members of known hate groups. Do you support Air BNB deciding to cancel reservations for "public safety"? That's just as inappropriate as the guy that runs down to a protest to "back the blue". They are just complicating a situation that's going to be better if they just don't get involved. Air b and b should leave public safety to public safety entities.

    And if a hate group or anyone wants to protest against the inauguration, God bless them and their right to do so. If the same or a different hate group or anyone else wants to protest Trump's last days in office, God bless them and their right to do so as well.

    Double standards will not prevail over double standards.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    OP
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    I don't want to get too political, but who decides what a hate group is? The Southern Poverty Law Center? They are by their own definition a hate group. If you don't agree with me, anything you are associated with is a hate group. That seems to be the standard these days.

    I wonder how many people that came to the BLM rallies that turned violent stayed in AirBNB's. At least here in the Northwest, many of the people setting fires etc came from out of the area. Are they going to ban those folks? I would have to guess that many of the people coming to DC for the inauguration just want to be there. Seems unfair to penalize them.

    Someone from AirBNB is probably watching this site and will ban us if we say the wrong thing...

    3
    Topic locked
  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Robert Gilstrap:

    @Carolyn Fuller I see the difference because I don't need Airbnb (or any other giant tech company) to "protect" me, what I need them to do is be a business and focus on business and not BS social or political issues. I ESPECIALLY don't need them to censor speech of ANY kind regardless of how repulsive or inflammatory it might be. Make no mistake; Airbnb could care less about you and they are certainly not out to "protect" you. They are out to do what is in their perceived best interest and I have no problem with that except for the BS virtue signaling. 

    As an aside, airlines don't refuse to allow terrorists to fly on their planes, our corrupt government does. It created and maintains the no fly list and contains hundreds of thousands of names of people who have never even been accused of a crime much less committed any crime (thus completely unconstitutional for lack of due process). 

    They're trying to protect themselves.  AirBnB is constantly on thin ice with city regulations.  The last thing they need is some press coming out about some terrorists plotting to attack the inauguration from their Airbnb.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
    5
    Topic locked
  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    Will everyone just move over to a Vrbo or will Vrbo follow suit?

    What about hotels, camp grounds etc? 

    I don't think a determined person or group will be swayed just from their Airbnb being cancelled.

    No one is going to go anywhere.  A few internet virtue signalers are going to complain about it on internet forums for a day and then continue using them anyway.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
    0
    Topic locked
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    OP
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Looks like Hotel Tonight joined in as well.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Robert GilstrapPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
    5y

    Makes sense, because hotel tonight is owned by Airbnb. 

    1
    Topic locked
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    OP
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Thanks @Robert Gilstrap I wasn't aware of that!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    Every DC resident I know is happy with the decision including those that list on AirBnB. Most had already blocked out the dates for the next week to avoid problems. While many in othet parts of the country may not understand the seriousness that we took it here, let me just say I had one friend who had to make a phone call to his kids during the event to say goodbye because they believed they would be dead by the end of the day. So a few airbnb books, no one gives a care about.

    9
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I was considering renting out my timeshare for the occasion but no way in hell would I do it now. 

    2
    Topic locked
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    5y

    @Russell Brazil I am so very sorry you D.C. folks have had to endure that trauma. 

    2
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Russell Brazil

    Make sure you get your friend in front of a trauma counselor. Even if they don’t feel like they need it, PTSD isn’t something to be messed with and the sooner after the incident the better. I’ve had to do it a few times, and the results are well worth the process.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    ......

    0
    Topic locked
  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Once again, AirBnB does not see themselves as a marketing platform. They are social justice warriors that will try to dictate what customers can do with their private property. I'm not advertising with them any more. I've stopped advertising through them.

    They're not dictating what you can do with your private property, only what you can do with their platform.  You can rent your home on those dates if you so please.  Just not on their platform.

    There's a distinct difference.  But of course you know that.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 459 posts · 305 votes
    5y

    Wow, I wonder if the government is funding this?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    5y
    I'm with Russell.  I see this as way more of a safety move than political.  
    - Woke and Virtue Signaling Snowflake

    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Every DC resident I know is happy with the decision including those that list on AirBnB. Most had already blocked out the dates for the next week to avoid problems. While many in othet parts of the country may not understand the seriousness that we took it here, let me just say I had one friend who had to make a phone call to his kids during the event to say goodbye because they believed they would be dead by the end of the day. So a few airbnb books, no one gives a care about.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Todd Rasmussen:

    @Carolyn Fuller
    And if a hate group or anyone wants to protest against the inauguration, God bless them and their right to do so. If the same or a different hate group or anyone else wants to protest Trump's last days in office, God bless them and their right to do so as well.

    What happened on Jan 6, 2021 was not a protest. It was a violent attempt to overthrow our democracy. It led to the death of 5 people and the trauma of an entire nation but especially to those who were directly threatened. There is nothing anywhere that gives someone the right to do what was done on Jan 6.

    What is being planned for Jan 20, 2021 is not a protest:

    • “We are going to fight in a civil War on Jan.20th, Form MILITIAS now and acquire targets.”
    • “After the firing squads are done with the politicians the teachers are next.”
    • “White people need to ignite their racial identity and rain down suffering and death like a hurricane upon zionists.”
    • “We are coming with our list we know where you live we know who you are and we are coming for you and it starts on the 6th civil war… Lol if you will think it’s a joke… Enjoy your last few days you have.”
    1
    Topic locked
  • Robert GilstrapPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Cartersville, GA · Member since 2015 · 575 posts · 581 votes
    5y

    @Carolyn Fuller I'm sure you are a good person but I'm always baffled at how those on the left tend to live in constant fear and make judgements and knee jerk reactions based on a cursory understanding of the facts that are typically drawn from what they saw on TV or Facebook. Not saying thats you, but it seems to be for a large part of our population to a certain degree. I know I have been guilty of this at times as well.

    I don't see our nation in "trauma" and I don't think there was an attempt to overthrow our democracy. There were just a bunch of people who protested and some of those got out of hand and did illegal things and others used violence.  Not unlike BLM protests. I hope you and others were just as vocal and concerned when BLM protesters chanted "pigs in a blanket" calling for the execution of police officers, while others set entire city blocks on fire and looted millions from innocent business owners.  

    2 of the 5 who died at the capitol were from natural causes (1 suspected stroke, 1 heart attack), one was in question as a potential drug overdose but unknown. 1 was shot by capital police (the lady you've seen in the video) and one capitol police officer was hit in the head with a fire extinguisher and died shortly after.  All of their deaths are tragic and unnecessary so we certainly agree on that. 

    Unfortunately we have a society now where the media throws gasoline on every fire and seeks to craft its own narrative. Washington D.C. seems to have be reduced to political theatre on both sides of the isle and that brings out the nutballs who post garbage online about civil wars and militias but that doesn't mean our nation is in collapse.  

    I have no idea how this turned into a political discussion so sorry about that and I'll stop now...

    2
    Topic locked