Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tim Johnson
  • Investor
  • Becker, MN
Votes |
Resort Valuation

Tim Johnson
  • Investor
  • Becker, MN
Posted

Hello BP!

I have a connection to an older couple that are interested in selling their resort in norther Minnesota.  It's been family owned for 60 years. It's beautiful...a dozen fishing cabins in Northern Minnesota on an entire peninsula of a lake surrounded by state forest land.  

The way I've valued multifamily properties is to calculate the Net Operating Income (Gross Income - Expenses) and then divide by desired cap rate.  When I do this for the resort, I'm not getting numbers that approach the properties value.  (I feel like the property is quite valuable, but current revenues are small).  

Are there any other considerations when valuing vacation rentals? Or does anyone have any advice?  I haven't really worked with vacation rentals before.

P.S.  The cabins are too close together to be split up and divided off.

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied

@Tim Johnson

There are essentially two ways (and a few variations) to purchase this deal, depending on how the owners are selling it:

As a going concern:  In this instance you are buying the business, so it is the business you evaluate: assets, liabilities, revenues (historical: 3 - 5 years), operating costs (historical: 3-5 years), future financial projections, goodwill, etc.    After all this, you arrive at a value of the business as it presently operates.   When it comes to the actual purchase, you might be able to {gradually} purchase shares of the business (depending on how it is set up and the appetite of the owners) rather than an all out purchase.  You may also have the owners stay on {part-time} for a season or two to help train the new management (you).

Acquire the hard assets:  In this scenario you would only purchase the real property and those hard assets (docks, boats, etc.) that you deem would be beneficial.  The existing business would be wound-down by the current owners.  This would be like purchasing any other real estate.  The owners may agree to carry part of the financing, but you won't need them to stick around to transition operations.

After acquiring the properties and assets you wish, you would either run your own business, or part-out and resell some of the assets.

From your post, it does not sound like parting out the properties is a viable path and where you admit to having no experience with vacation rentals or the resort business, you might want to explore purchasing the business with the current owners hanging around for a bit to help you get your feet wet.

Regardless of approach, it needs to have legs to be worth pursuing.

• Roy N.
  • User Stats

Votes
    Jeff B.
    • Buy & Hold Owner
    • Redlands, CA
    Votes |
    • Buy & Hold Owner
    • Redlands, CA
    Replied

Norther Minnesota resort - - but current revenues are small

So it's a seasonal operation. Mom-n-Pop are getting tired of too much work for so little return.  These kinds of places are Works of Love and a life style - - are you looking to live there and take on a new life, OR are you an investor looking for a return?  

Don't force fit a Value when the return just isn't there.

Hospitable logo
    Hospitable
    |
    Sponsored
    Free eBook: The Ultimate STR Guide Over 100 pages of focused knowledge to help you launch and scale your short-term rental business.

User Stats

Votes
    Tim Johnson
    • Investor
    • Becker, MN
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Becker, MN
    Replied

@Roy N. and @Jeff B. Thanks for your responses...you summarized the options well.

While the property might be beautiful, if the numbers don't justify pursuit then the right thing to do is walk away.  Regardless of how pretty the sunsets are.

Thanks again for your sage advice. 

User Stats

Votes
    Chad Olson
    Pro Member
    • Realtor
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Realtor
    Replied

Did this property end up selling? If so, what followed?

• Chad Olson
  • User Stats

Votes
    Tim Johnson
    • Investor
    • Becker, MN
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Becker, MN
    Replied

@Chad Olson, I walked away. I had thought the owner was going to transition ownership to his grandson.  But, looking at the website just now, it looks like they are still running things.