Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James R.
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Beneficial Ownership Information Report for U.S. Government

James R.
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted

I originally set up my RE LLC through ZenBusiness. ZenBusiness adds reporting requirements every year. I received the following email below from them. The rule went into effect January 1, 2024.

Have any of your also received this reporting requirement for your LLCs? It appears the fee is for each LLC, so if you have multiple RE LLCs, you have to report each one and pay the fee. There's also an annual fee of $50. I have attached the hyperlink to the website.

"This is a final reminder to save $50 on filing your Beneficial Ownership Information report for XYZ, LLC. This filing is a legal mandate by the U.S. Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.

Until August 31, 2024, you’ll only pay $99 upfront instead of $149. Get it off your to-do list today before our discount ends.

Ensure compliance today to avoid the potential $500 per day penalty for late filing".

https://www.fincen.gov/boi/small-business-resources

User Stats

Votes
Ricky A.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chapel Hill, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chapel Hill, NC
Replied

I'm pretty sure you can do BOI filings for free on the FinCen site.

However, our CPA recommends possibly using a third-party service because many of them may make changes/updates (e.g., your address changes) easier.  He has a particular recommendation, but I don't know it offhand because I haven't done mine yet.

Also, my understanding is that BOI isn't an annual filing.  It's one-time plus updating it if/when the info changes.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@James R.

BOI takes five minutes to complete on fincen site

Absolutely no need to pay someone to do it

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied

You can file this for free in a few minutes. There are you tube videos that walk you step by step. 

If you have multiple entities you can get an ID number that makes it quicker to fill out for subsequent entities. 

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied

It's federal law so yes you need to file the info. How you do it and your level of comfort with the options, is entirely up to the LLC owner.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

My accountant did it for me included in what I pay him monthly, however I have new LLC he has not done/had to do any work so I did myself and it was free and under 5 mins on FinCen site. I think the site you used to start LLC is spamming you for more $$$

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I set up my own LLC and am also getting spammed from companies wanting to file for me. Like others have said, easy to do yourself or have your CPA do it.

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied

@James R. Yes, the Beneficial Ownership Information (BOI) reporting requirement, part of the Corporate Transparency Act, took effect on January 1, 2024. 

LLCs must report beneficial ownership details to FinCEN, and each LLC must file separately, with fees involved. You can file directly through FinCEN. Failing to comply can result in penalties of up to $500 per day, so it's important to stay updated, especially if you have multiple LLCs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Ashish Acharya:

@James R. Yes, the Beneficial Ownership Information (BOI) reporting requirement, part of the Corporate Transparency Act, took effect on January 1, 2024. 

LLCs must report beneficial ownership details to FinCEN, and each LLC must file separately, with fees involved. You can file directly through FinCEN. Failing to comply can result in penalties of up to $500 per day, so it's important to stay updated, especially if you have multiple LLCs.

Fees involved? There are no fees unless you use a service to file for you.