Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sass
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Cost analysis: Building costs to add a hot tub to my Smoky mountains STR

Sarah Sass
Posted Feb 1 2024, 17:25

Question 1: Does $4698 for materials and labor to prepare my house for a hot tub seem in line?

Question 2: Any 4-5 person narrow hot tub recs to speed up the process? I've been stalking the forum posts to narrow down what to get. e.g. One that is durable and easy to clean with affordable source-able parts. Home Depot's offerings seem tempting since I can view the price online, which has been an issue with hot tub specific stores in the Smokies.

Context:  I'm looking to add a 4-5 person hot tub to my STR near Pigeon Forge. It would run off my property's well water. I received an estimate to make room for a hot tub that does NOT include the cost of a hot tub. I'd have to widen my ground level porch and extend the roof accordingly. It would be installed in the middle of the porch, as circled in the below photo.

Per my handyman, "All materials and labor to build deck section and install hot tub supplied by you including water, drain and electric hook up. Estimated cost $4698." 

I did consider the far left hand corner of the porch, however it's double the cost of materials. Thus the unique middle of the porch location.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Feb 1 2024, 19:48

Doesn't seem out of line to me. You are doing a decent amount of work to accommodate the tub @Sarah Sass.

Maybe @Bruce Woodruff can chime in. I have no idea about labor costs in PF, but in my area, that is a pretty good deal.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Winget
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis IN + Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis IN + Poconos, PA
Replied Feb 2 2024, 07:17

Sounds like your handyman isn't trying to rip you off, and he's done this before. I come from the Poconos, PA market and have helped at least 30 clients coordinate hot tub installs in the last year.

Q1 Opinion*: Typically when underwriting property for buyer and mgmt clients, I'd give them a round number of $10k to assume for hot tub purchase / install / permits /foundation /electrical. Given you're at $5k for everything except the hot tub, with a reasonable solution I've seen before, sounds great.

Q2 Opinion*:
 Don't get a 110v hot tub. Whatever you do. A lot of them don't have proper heat pumps to keep the water hot in cold winter weather. Also, lookup the difference between Acrylic and Rotomolded tubs. I tend to suggest Rotomolded, they're more durable and less expensive, without all the fancy jets and colors. Easier to maintain. Perfect for rentals. Wayfair is a great spot to look - just make sure you read reviews and don't get 110v!

Sounds like you've got all your ducks lined up, and at a more than reasonable price, with a wise handyman. 

Hope this helps!

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Sleep Easy, Host Confidently. Manage your STRs while you sleep with innovative AI technology and an abundance of automation tools.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Feb 2 2024, 08:51
Quote from @Tyler Winget:

Sounds like your handyman isn't trying to rip you off, and he's done this before. I come from the Poconos, PA market and have helped at least 30 clients coordinate hot tub installs in the last year.

Q1 Opinion*: Typically when underwriting property for buyer and mgmt clients, I'd give them a round number of $10k to assume for hot tub purchase / install / permits /foundation /electrical. Given you're at $5k for everything except the hot tub, with a reasonable solution I've seen before, sounds great.

Q2 Opinion*:
 Don't get a 110v hot tub. Whatever you do. A lot of them don't have proper heat pumps to keep the water hot in cold winter weather. Also, lookup the difference between Acrylic and Rotomolded tubs. I tend to suggest Rotomolded, they're more durable and less expensive, without all the fancy jets and colors. Easier to maintain. Perfect for rentals. Wayfair is a great spot to look - just make sure you read reviews and don't get 110v!

Sounds like you've got all your ducks lined up, and at a more than reasonable price, with a wise handyman. 

Hope this helps!

Tyler, that's some really good info!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sass
Votes |
Replied Feb 7 2024, 16:41
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Doesn't seem out of line to me. You are doing a decent amount of work to accommodate the tub @Sarah Sass.

Maybe @Bruce Woodruff can chime in. I have no idea about labor costs in PF, but in my area, that is a pretty good deal.

Thanks Michael, it's good to get that additional verification.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sass
Votes |
Replied Feb 13 2024, 14:32
Quote from @Tyler Winget:

Q2 Opinion*:

Hope this helps!

Thanks Tyler! The quote includes trellising on 3 sides, a 220 volt outlet hardwired to the outside, and lockable gates that slide open on both sides. I'm glad it's in line with typical spending. 

Super helpful advice on avoiding the 110 V hot tubs and on going for a rotomolded tub. I'm limited with a maximum width x depth dimensions of 61" x 95". Given price, reviews, and durability, I'm looking at the following hot tubs and would love your opinion. All of my options are around the same dimensions so I've been looking at gallon amount as a more accurate gauge of how many people would fit.

Largo LS 5 person tub:
- $3,358.0: 200 gallons
- H 29.5 in, W 61 in, D 71 in
- Includes: Control Panel, Cover, Ozone water purification filter unit, LED Display, Power Cord, Pump, Sensors

Malta 4 person
- $3,589.00: 240 gallons
- H 30 x W 57 x D 81
- Includes: Cover, Filter Unit, [Ozone water sanitation system], Power Cord, Pump 

Ohana Spas dual facing lounger
- $3,705.99: 200 gallons
- H 29.5 x W 71 x D 61
- Includes: Cover, Filter, Ozonator, Light 

LS100DX
- $2999.00: 205 gallons
- H 32 x W 62 x D 71
- Includes: thermal locking cover, ozonator, multi-color underwater LED light, waterfall feature, two cup sliders, filter

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 3 2024, 09:36

@Sarah Sass Which hot tub did you end up going with? This has been a super helpful post for us! Thanks