Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mayhew
Votes |
STR in Bentonville, AR how feasible?

Shawn Mayhew
Posted

Hello BiggerPockets, 

Ive been looking to purchase my first investment property in Bentonville, AR. My wife and I travel here often mainly for mountain biking and have noticed the growth potential. I've been following the Bentonville home prices for a year now and finally am in the position to purchase my first property. My question is, after running numbers on multiple properties utilizing Airdna data and running my own calculations from Airbnb and VRBO, is investing in downtown Bentonville feasible or worth it? Most homes near the downtown square average $400 per square foot; at that price with today's interest rates utilizing the data most potential properties only break even with a 0% cash-on-cash return using the property as a STR. With potential STR regulations, would purchasing a deal at breaking even be worth it for appreciation alone? Currently under contract for a property that was appraised for over 125k than the agreed purchase price.

Thanks for the insight. 

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

@Shawn Mayhew From an avid roadie, gravel, and occasional mountain biker I would buy the property. Bentonville is a growing market and way ahead of the curve. The Walmart family alone has dumped millions of dollars into infrastructure, trails, and public projects. Why only focus on the downtown area? Surely there's cheaper properties just outside of the hot spots for bikers. If the STR strategy isn't penciling after a few summer months (busy) maybe go LTR instead? Nothing stopping you from trying a strategy or switching during a turnover in the future.

You could specifically cater to mountain/gravel bike folks. Interior décor, outside wash station/tools, and even a garage for people to use. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied

Lets ignore the market and just look at you're real question here which is:

Should I buy a property to convert into a short term rental when my underwriting says it will provide a 0% return?

The answer is an obvious HECK NO! Even if this was a LTR at a 0% return I'd say heck no. But as a STR with all of the additional liability, headache, turnover, competition, and regulation? Not a chance.

You need to leave emotion out of this. I love mountain biking too. And I can't wait to visit Bentonville one day to ride. But unless I ever end up have more money than sense, I'm not going to invest there.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jingjing Yu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bentonville AR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bentonville AR
Replied

If it is in the downtown Bentonville area (East of Walton, North of 14th, South of Tiger, West of J St), it will appreciate for sure. If you are getting a property that's appraised at 125k more than the purchase price, it sounds like a good deal but I am hesitant to STR use if the numbers you crunched don't put you in the green. Would LTR be more profitable since there are lower expenses associated with it?

I have a small Airbnb downtown in my backyard and the bikers that come through mentioned usually it's not as important as the distance to the trail is but more ease of accessing the trail (like not having to go on main streets with your bikes to get to the trail) for them. For example, houses around Coler Mountain Bike Reserve are outside of "downtown" but would be great for Airbnb at the right price.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Whitcomb
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Replied

When you say "with potential STR regulations" are you saying that you've heard Bentonville is proposing regulations? Or are you just speaking generally?

I've never been to Bentonville but I have a buddy who moved there several years back and loves it. He's also doing a really cool vacation rental project out there, so it seems like there is a demand. 

From what you say, it sounds like the big draw is mountain biking so I'd lean into that. You'll want to determine your "guest avatar", which means figure out who your ideal guest is, why they'll be staying there, and what they'll be doing. From there you pick the property and design their guest experience based on that guest avatar. As I mentioned, I've never been there but gut tells me that most people are not mountain biking in the city center. If it were me I'd be looking at more rural properties near the trails with a house and a few acres of land, then add a tiny home or two. At that point you'll have 2-3 rentals which would be much more revenue and could make the deal much more appetizing. Depending on where you buy in that area, my understanding is there is little to no zoning requirements so you would have a lot of flexibility to build what you want. I have to say that's VERY appealing to me, coming from WA state where you need permission from the government to do the smallest things.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mayhew
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Andy Whitcomb:

When you say "with potential STR regulations" are you saying that you've heard Bentonville is proposing regulations? Or are you just speaking generally?

I've never been to Bentonville but I have a buddy who moved there several years back and loves it. He's also doing a really cool vacation rental project out there, so it seems like there is a demand. 

From what you say, it sounds like the big draw is mountain biking so I'd lean into that. You'll want to determine your "guest avatar", which means figure out who your ideal guest is, why they'll be staying there, and what they'll be doing. From there you pick the property and design their guest experience based on that guest avatar. As I mentioned, I've never been there but gut tells me that most people are not mountain biking in the city center. If it were me I'd be looking at more rural properties near the trails with a house and a few acres of land, then add a tiny home or two. At that point you'll have 2-3 rentals which would be much more revenue and could make the deal much more appetizing. Depending on where you buy in that area, my understanding is there is little to no zoning requirements so you would have a lot of flexibility to build what you want. I have to say that's VERY appealing to me, coming from WA state where you need permission from the government to do the smallest things.

Just in the future for potential regulations. 
Not that Bentonville is considered them at this time. 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mayhew
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Jingjing Yu:

If it is in the downtown Bentonville area (East of Walton, North of 14th, South of Tiger, West of J St), it will appreciate for sure. If you are getting a property that's appraised at 125k more than the purchase price, it sounds like a good deal but I am hesitant to STR use if the numbers you crunched don't put you in the green. Would LTR be more profitable since there are lower expenses associated with it?

I have a small Airbnb downtown in my backyard and the bikers that come through mentioned usually it's not as important as the distance to the trail is but more ease of accessing the trail (like not having to go on main streets with your bikes to get to the trail) for them. For example, houses around Coler Mountain Bike Reserve are outside of "downtown" but would be great for Airbnb at the right price.

Appreciate that insight, the property in question is in downtown, but I’ve also considered homes around Coler. 

User Stats

Votes
Andy Whitcomb
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Replied
Quote from @Shawn Mayhew:
Quote from @Andy Whitcomb:

Just in the future for potential regulations. 
Not that Bentonville is considered them at this time. 

It's always important to consider potential STR regulations, and I always recommend checking with city and county to see if there is anything being considered. With that said, my gut tells me that area is very low risk of passing any regulation that would prohibit STR's entirely.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied

Ultimately, only you can decide if the numbers work for you. However, barely breaking even is not a deal I'm interested in. Especially if there is potential STR regulations changing. I would look for a tried and true STR market

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Greenhaw
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Bentonville, AR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Bentonville, AR
Replied

Hi Shawn, 

I'm a real-estate investor/developer in the Downtown Bentonville market. I agree with you on pricing. I've seen $400-$600 per sq ft. The answer to your question really comes down to your own personal strategy. We've seen such appreciation over the past years that I'd personally lean towards buying something that has cash flow day one. That cash flow can weather the storm if the values drop for some reason. With that said, it's such an incredible market and I'm very optimistic at the future here. Best of luck!  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

You can never count on appreciation as a driver for cash flow.

As an investment, this is a loser IMHO.

Having said that, you love the area and ride there all the time. That situation makes it easier to give it a thumbs up. As long as you are aware you are buying it as a vacation home and are hoping that the extra $$$ from STRing the property might offset the cost of owning/using it.

User Stats

Votes
Jen LeViseur
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Replied

Hey Shawn, have you already purchased a property in Bentonville? My husband and I have been here for 5 plus years, and have definitely seen the market growth. In my opinion, it is not currently worth it to purchase in Bentonville, specifically the downtown area. The listing prices and the revenue projections do not make sense. We have also done some research on properties in the area that are not downtown and they still just are not pulling the right numbers. It is a fantastic spot for STRs, but because of all the growth in the significant increase in list prices, it just does not currently make sense (at least not from a pure investment perspective). If you plan on using this as a lifestyle property then that might make sense for you. There are currently no STR restrictions in place for Bentonville. Neighboring Bella Vista and Fayetteville do have restrictions. Happy to chat more!

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

If appreciation is the only thing your banking on, and you're willingly walking into an investment with 0% CoC return, I think you should reconsider. So many other markets to choose from with better returns, and I bet some of them still even offer some good Mountain Biking :). As @Scott E. said above, leave emotion out of this. 

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Host and Toast STR Networking Events Meet and learn from other STR investors at events in Orlando, Atlanta, Austin, and LA this October.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

@Shawn Mayhew Circling back. Did you find or buy a property that cash-flows? I'm still bias on that market! Surely something pencils out for a quality STR or long term buy/hold investment.

User Stats

Votes
Katie Linder-Jesse
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Northwest Arkansas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Northwest Arkansas
Replied

I know this is an old post but I didn't see anyone mention the other options for mountain biking and just biking all along the Razorback Greenway that stretches 40 miles through the entire NWA region and the amazing trails that are tucked all through the area. We recently had family stay at our short term rental in Fayetteville along the Razorback Greenway.  They have always stayed in Bella Vista and mountain biked up that way.  They were in love with the city of Fayetteville and the amazing mountain biking at Kessler Mountain. They said it was the best they had done in NWA and better than even Colorado mountain biking trails!  This region is special in how it is spread out and how there are plenty of cute communities that are growing quickly to each have their own unique vibe.  This allows for plenty of opportunities for all level of investors to start where they are comfortable.