STR Market near Shenandoah in Virginia

STR Market near Shenandoah in Virginia

Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 8 votes

Hi there,

I am currently looking at some STR properties in the Bentonville, VA market and would convert them to STRs. Already talked to the Warren County office and they said it's a 3 month process to get STRs approved but in general the process seems to be pretty straight forward if you aren't in a HOA or in town.

I have a property in the area that is a smaller 2bed/1bath that does really well and I feel very comfotable with the 3 bed numbers, but once we get to the higher range properties 3-4 bedrooms and properties that I would consider to be luxury stays for large groups, I am finding it hard to make the numbers reallyyyy make sense at a $300 ADR. And I am not sure if that's because luxury property rentals just don't have the same ADR here in comparison to other markets - in a lot of other markets even as far as West Virginia in harpers ferry you can easily charge $800+ in those markets, whereas in


We haven't purchased the area in Airdna or Pricelabs as we are just looking at the data at a high level right now before we commit to that one area since we are looking at a couple of other properties too. But does anyone else have any other luxury short term rentals in the area? how has your property performed? would love to chat with you more!
Thanks!

Olivia

0Reply
70 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Is there a good draw for large groups to come there on vacation?

    Look on Vrbo and Airbnb and see if bigger houses are booked at good rates.

  • Investor · Nortnern Colorado · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 131 votes
    3y

    @Olivia Tati I have a friend who owns in Massanutten. It's either a 4/4 or 5/4. Rents very well. 

    That said, there is not a straight line correlation between bedrooms and rent. That is, say a 2 bed rents for $50k gross a year. One can't assume a 4 bed will do $100k. Other things to keep in mind: they appeal to a different market segment. Occupancy may vary. In our experience, a 2/2 has higher occupancy than our 6/5 (same neighborhood). Non-linear correlation between beds and rent. Also very different behavior as far as how far in advance they book (the larger tends to book much farther out). But higher rent per door for larger doos, with same number of calls/customer care (usually). Keep those things in mind as you do your math! 

  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    @Erik Stenbakken @John Underwood That totally makes sense! I do like the smaller properties because occupancy tends to stay pretty high and consistence and costs generally are low, but I know we are also missing out on the really great returns on some of the larger properties. There is reason to have some of the larger properties particularly near the wineries for bachelorettes, girls weekends, and such, and it isn't really being done. Will look into it further though!! Thanks so much for the input

  • Investor · Nortnern Colorado · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 131 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Olivia Tati:

    @Erik Stenbakken @John Underwood That totally makes sense! I do like the smaller properties because occupancy tends to stay pretty high and consistence and costs generally are low, but I know we are also missing out on the really great returns on some of the larger properties. There is reason to have some of the larger properties particularly near the wineries for bachelorettes, girls weekends, and such, and it isn't really being done. Will look into it further though!! Thanks so much for the input


     Glad to help! Much success to you. 

  • Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Olivia Tati, did you end up going through the STR approval process in Bentonville/Warrent County? I'd love to hear if the process was smooth/streamlined/ easy as we are also keeping this area in mind for an STR. Thanks in advance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.