How much cleaning do you require of guests?

How much cleaning do you require of guests?

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

This host has a healthy balance of what she requires guests to do during their stay or at checkout. What do you require?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/i-was-one-of-those-airbnb-hosts-who-made-guests-do-chores-before-checking-out-then-i-realized-it-was-a-ridiculous-ask-here-s-where-i-landed-on-who-cleans-what/ar-AA12NLuI?li=BBnbklE#image=AA12NPVD|4

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
2
Topic locked
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 993 posts · 1k+ votes
3y

I'm not gonna hold back here because these childish complaints are really a pet peeve of mine. I say that as a guest that has been staying in STR's since the 90's as much as I do as a host.

Maybe some of the disconnect is big city condotels vs. full houses in the mountains or the beach.  I could maybe understand some of the whining about having to be a grown up adult for 5 minutes at the condotels that are more meant to be direct competitors to a hotel.  But at a full house at the beach or something like that, if you're comparing a few minutes to load the dishwasher in this full house that has to be turned over in a few hours to a 150sqft hotel room that doesn't even have dishes, you're being ridiculous.

Most of the people that complain about this stuff are 16 year olds on Tik Tok just hunting for clicks.  It's become popular in that circle to whine about it, so it's a great way to get clicks.  Seeing full grown adults on an investment forum acting like it's some great burden is frankly kind of sad. 

Why should I have to clean when I'm already paying a cleaning fee?

Throwing your dirty towels into a pile on the floor isn't "cleaning".  99% of hosts ask little more than to start the dishwasher and pile up dirty towels, and 99% of that 99% won't actually ding you in any way if you don't do it.  Maybe some hosts ask to strip the beds or take out the trash.  Plenty reasonable.  The nonsense about being asked to vacuum or mow the lawn is reductio ad absurdum.  A lame form of discussion where someone references the extreme outlier and creates their argument around it as if it is the norm.  "I'm tired of hosts asking me to mow the lawn and re-tar their roof for them!".  Please.

I don't have to do my dishes at a hotel

Well, duh.  Because you don't get dishes at a hotel.  Again, maybe this is a disconnect between tiny NYC condos in the hotel district and your typical vacation rental, but if you rent a 4br Marriott Vacation house in Hawaii you are expected to do your dishes.  If you rent a condo in Aspen through Whyndam they ask you to do your dishes.  If you stay in a timeshare they ask you to do your dishes.  It's been this way for 30 years.

I got a good chuckle out of someone above acting shocked about having to take the trash to the dump 6 miles away, while at the same time mentioning that the checkout list is getting harder, not easier.  I bet he'd be shocked to know that for 20 years prior to Airbnb that was actually the standard, rather than the outlier exception it is now.  I've been staying in cabins in Tennessee, NC, and Georgia since the 90's and it was always expected that you'd take your trash with you when you leave.  Often much further than 6 miles (I remember driving all the way home with it a few times because we couldn't find anywhere to take it.  There just wasn't the infrastructure in a lot of these vacation destinations back then like there is now.  Now, in 99% of cases, you don't have to do that anymore. 

If anything the checkout list has gotten easier and easier (not harder and harder) to the point where it's almost nothing now in most cases. 

Renting a house is just different than renting a little hotel room.  Maybe some people just aren't cut out to be trusted with other people's property.  If you want to check into a place and act like a toddler so some big corporation's $7/hr staff can fix your disaster, then go for it.  If you want to be an adult and stay in a nice place with a kitchen, private pool, and room for 4 families, then do that.

And yea, if you're family is getting into a huge fight because you had to load a dishwasher than that's definitely a "you" problem.  Every day all around the world millions of people manage to successfully load a dishwasher without breaking up their family.  Crazy, I know.

Cosmic Vacations4.9172 Reviews
9
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

68 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    This host has a healthy balance of what she requires guests to do during their stay or at checkout. What do you require?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/i-was-one-of-those-airbnb-hosts-who-made-guests-do-chores-before-checking-out-then-i-realized-it-was-a-ridiculous-ask-here-s-where-i-landed-on-who-cleans-what/ar-AA12NLuI?li=BBnbklE#image=AA12NPVD|4


    [1] I own zero of these by choice.

    [2] I've never stayed in one (yet--maybe in the future) I like hotels.

    [3] If I did stay in one and it required me to clean it in any fashion--I would bypass that one. 

    [4] I think the cleaning crew/maid will do a better (Sanitary) job of cleaning anything better than the General Public in this type of rental.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Everybody can do what they want. That is the nice thing about running your own business.  Like @Michael Baum and other have said, there is a business reason for having the guest load and start the dishwasher.  I am in a high demand destination vacation location.  90% of my cleanings are done on turns as are most other STRs in my market.  My cleaners have a 5 hour window to take care of x amount of cabins every day.  The cleaner may not get to my cabin until the last hour to get it cleaned.  If they have to load and run the dishwasher (which others have pointed out takes a couple hours, then if the guests check in on time, dishes will still be in the dishwasher and need to be put away.

    So would you rather ask the guest to simply take 5 minutes and load and start the dishwasher prior to leaving, or have incoming guests be expected to unload and put away the week's worth of dishes from the previous guests when they arrive?  In my market you can't have it both ways.  

    My STRs are nothing like a hotel.  They are vacation destinations loaded with amenities.  If a guest wants to balk at a few simple rules, such as take the garbage out to the bear proof bins, or load and start the dishwasher, then I don't want them at my STRs. That simple.  These rules are not hurting my business in any way.   This is the norm in my market.  If it was not the norm then it would be a different story.  

    From what I can see the issue of having guests do these types of things is vary dependent on the market that the STR is in. There is no one size fits all here. I think things vary greatly between a vacation destination market and say an urban setting that picks up travelers to a city for work or whatever. In some areas it may be appropriate and the norm to not have the guests do anything and in other markets it may be absolutely necessary.

    But again to each their own.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    There is a simple solution. You've already charged the guest a fee for cleaning. Just have the cleaner load & start the dishes when they arrive. It isn't brain surgery. Having guests have to worry about it is insane and petty. 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    There is a simple solution. You've already charged the guest a fee for cleaning. Just have the cleaner load & start the dishes when they arrive. It isn't brain surgery. Having guests have to worry about it is insane and petty. 

    Yea maybe you were posting this right while I was posting my response but go back and read my post right above yours and you will see why that does not work in my market  and you will see the reason for it.  It is neither insane or petty.  
    2
    Topic locked
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    There is a simple solution. You've already charged the guest a fee for cleaning. Just have the cleaner load & start the dishes when they arrive. It isn't brain surgery. Having guests have to worry about it is insane and petty. 

    The STR owners I personally know do their own cleaning. Most are retired seniors. Having to throw dirty dishes in the DW and run it, then wait 2+ hours and unload it is ridiculous. We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in. No thanks.

    I think it is extremely rude of a guest to leave dirty dishes and pots/pans sitting there in a private residence so the owners have to clean up after them.

    These are not hotels with huge cleaning staffs and even then, c'mon people have a little courtesy. Do you leave a hotel room all messy just because you can? I hope not.

    4
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    This host has a healthy balance of what she requires guests to do during their stay or at checkout. What do you require?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/i-was-one-of-those-airbnb-hosts-who-made-guests-do-chores-before-checking-out-then-i-realized-it-was-a-ridiculous-ask-here-s-where-i-landed-on-who-cleans-what/ar-AA12NLuI?li=BBnbklE#image=AA12NPVD|4


    Have you noticed the increase in STR hosts who have said they aren't filling their STRs like they used to? It's a combination of things. There is a lot more choice now. Owner's will need to set themselves apart to attract more stays.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    There is a simple solution. You've already charged the guest a fee for cleaning. Just have the cleaner load & start the dishes when they arrive. It isn't brain surgery. Having guests have to worry about it is insane and petty. 

    The STR owners I personally know do their own cleaning. Most are retired seniors. Having to throw dirty dishes in the DW and run it, then wait 2+ hours and unload it is ridiculous. We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in. No thanks.

    I think it is extremely rude of a guest to leave dirty dishes and pots/pans sitting there in a private residence so the owners have to clean up after them.

    These are not hotels with huge cleaning staffs and even then, c'mon people have a little courtesy. Do you leave a hotel room all messy just because you can? I hope not.

    Let's see, you say
    "We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in" and
    "wait 2+ hours and unload"
    the math says there is plenty of time.

    I have to assume they aren't sitting on the porch smoking a corncob pipe.


    They are simple cleaning the rest of the place while the dishes run. If they can Properly clean your STR in less than 2 hours, bless them. The rest of the time they can read "Gone With the Wind" or "Eight Lectures on Theoretical Physics by Max Planck" whatever floats their boat, while they wait to unload the dishes.

    I'm not sure why that's so complicated.
    Or maybe you need a faster dishwasher.





    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    Everybody can do what they want. That is the nice thing about running your own business.  Like @Michael Baum and other have said, there is a business reason for having the guest load and start the dishwasher.  I am in a high demand destination vacation location.  90% of my cleanings are done on turns as are most other STRs in my market.  My cleaners have a 5 hour window to take care of x amount of cabins every day.  The cleaner may not get to my cabin until the last hour to get it cleaned.  If they have to load and run the dishwasher (which others have pointed out takes a couple hours, then if the guests check in on time, dishes will still be in the dishwasher and need to be put away.

    So would you rather ask the guest to simply take 5 minutes and load and start the dishwasher prior to leaving, or have incoming guests be expected to unload and put away the week's worth of dishes from the previous guests when they arrive?  In my market you can't have it both ways.  

    My STRs are nothing like a hotel.  They are vacation destinations loaded with amenities.  If a guest wants to balk at a few simple rules, such as take the garbage out to the bear proof bins, or load and start the dishwasher, then I don't want them at my STRs. That simple.  These rules are not hurting my business in any way.   This is the norm in my market.  If it was not the norm then it would be a different story.  

    From what I can see the issue of having guests do these types of things is vary dependent on the market that the STR is in. There is no one size fits all here. I think things vary greatly between a vacation destination market and say an urban setting that picks up travelers to a city for work or whatever. In some areas it may be appropriate and the norm to not have the guests do anything and in other markets it may be absolutely necessary.

    But again to each their own.

    I agree, the market will decide, as it should be the arbiter.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    There is a simple solution. You've already charged the guest a fee for cleaning. Just have the cleaner load & start the dishes when they arrive. It isn't brain surgery. Having guests have to worry about it is insane and petty. 

    The STR owners I personally know do their own cleaning. Most are retired seniors. Having to throw dirty dishes in the DW and run it, then wait 2+ hours and unload it is ridiculous. We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in. No thanks.

    I think it is extremely rude of a guest to leave dirty dishes and pots/pans sitting there in a private residence so the owners have to clean up after them.

    These are not hotels with huge cleaning staffs and even then, c'mon people have a little courtesy. Do you leave a hotel room all messy just because you can? I hope not.

    Let's see, you say
    "We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in" and
    "wait 2+ hours and unload"
    the math says there is plenty of time.

    I have to assume they aren't sitting on the porch smoking a corncob pipe.


    They are simple cleaning the rest of the place while the dishes run. If they can Properly clean your STR in less than 2 hours, bless them. The rest of the time they can read "Gone With the Wind" or "Eight Lectures on Theoretical Physics by Max Planck" whatever floats their boat, while they wait to unload the dishes.

    I'm not sure why that's so complicated.
    Or maybe you need a faster dishwasher.





     @Account Closed Maybe you just need to back off dude. Geez. You do it your way that is fine. I outlined the business reason for this a few posts prior. What you don't get in your math, is that although the cleaners may have a window of 4-5 hrs to do the cleaning, they are not just sitting on the porch smoking a corncob pipe either. They are busy with other STRs that all have to be done in that same timeframe in some of these markets such as mine. Which means they may not get to my STR until the last hour to get it cleaned. Which means I would then be stuck with a different issues which I outlined in my post a few posts above.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Ken Boone is right. Whether it is a professional cleaner or Mom and Pop, it should take, let's say 1-1/2 hrs to clean the average house, and then on to the next one, or what ever. No time to sit around wasting time.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Justin BrickmanBusiness Member
    Realtor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 502 posts · 274 votes
    3y

    Leaving a vacuum and other cleaning supplies is crucial 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    As @Michael Baum said, it's not how long it takes to load the DW, it's how long it takes to run it...

    There is a simple solution. You've already charged the guest a fee for cleaning. Just have the cleaner load & start the dishes when they arrive. It isn't brain surgery. Having guests have to worry about it is insane and petty. 

    The STR owners I personally know do their own cleaning. Most are retired seniors. Having to throw dirty dishes in the DW and run it, then wait 2+ hours and unload it is ridiculous. We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in. No thanks.

    I think it is extremely rude of a guest to leave dirty dishes and pots/pans sitting there in a private residence so the owners have to clean up after them.

    These are not hotels with huge cleaning staffs and even then, c'mon people have a little courtesy. Do you leave a hotel room all messy just because you can? I hope not.

    Let's see, you say
    "We have 3-4 hrs between check-out/in" and
    "wait 2+ hours and unload"
    the math says there is plenty of time.

    I have to assume they aren't sitting on the porch smoking a corncob pipe.


    They are simple cleaning the rest of the place while the dishes run. If they can Properly clean your STR in less than 2 hours, bless them. The rest of the time they can read "Gone With the Wind" or "Eight Lectures on Theoretical Physics by Max Planck" whatever floats their boat, while they wait to unload the dishes.

    I'm not sure why that's so complicated.
    Or maybe you need a faster dishwasher.





     @Account Closed Maybe you just need to back off dude. Geez. You do it your way that is fine. I outlined the business reason for this a few posts prior. What you don't get in your math, is that although the cleaners may have a window of 4-5 hrs to do the cleaning, they are not just sitting on the porch smoking a corncob pipe either. They are busy with other STRs that all have to be done in that same timeframe in some of these markets such as mine. Which means they may not get to my STR until the last hour to get it cleaned. Which means I would then be stuck with a different issues which I outlined in my post a few posts above.

    @Ken Boone: Your Comment: "Maybe you just need to back off dude. Geez."

    Well, look at that. A Hostile Host over whether someone agrees with them or not. One that apparently can't or doesn't read. I already said "I agree, the market will decide, as it should be the arbiter."
    Guess the corncob pipe joke was a little too much? ;-)
    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Account Closed that the way he does business is insane and petty is already over the top.  So yea when I see those kind of comments with you continuing to give him reasons why he is wrong - I'm over it dude.  Not one of us is going to agree with everyone else on here man, it is a place to share ideas and learn from each other.  Again, I post my thoughts and reasons for them and leave it there.  I could care less whether someone agrees with me or not.  But I don't tell people what they do is insane and petty when I don't understand why they do something different than me.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    @Account Closed No dude.  I couldn't care less whether or not you agreed with me, but when you are basically telling @Bruce Woodruff that the way he does business is insane and petty is already over the top.  So yea when I see those kind of comments with you continuing to give him reasons why he is wrong - I'm over it dude.  Not one of us is going to agree with everyone else on here man, it is a place to share ideas and learn from each other.  Again, I post my thoughts and reasons for them and leave it there.  I could care less whether someone agrees with me or not.  But I don't tell people what they do is insane and petty when I don't understand why they do something different than me.

    Do you always butt in to other peoples business? I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. ;-) @Bruce Woodruff is a big guy who can handle his own. That's one reason it's fun to banter with him. He knows his stuff. But that doesn't mean we always have to agree. There is room for disagreement.

    He by the way, has contributed a lot more good insight & information to Bigger Pockets than I would expect Hostile Hosts to.
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    Nothing. I’m in the hospitality business

    1
    Topic locked
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    For goodness sake's. Those of us who have the guests do some very minor things before they check out are unethical, insane, petty and probably much more. How do we do get so many 5 star reviews? Our home is nearly booked for 2023 and booking for 2024.

    No one here is asking guests to scrub toilets, make the beds, do the laundry. We are asking for minor things they are happy to do. Just because you other folks don't want to doesn't mean everyone won't.

    The name calling is getting to be really annoying. There is no reason for any of you to call us names like that.

    So moderators, please lock this thread. It has just degenerated into useless drivel.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner, can you please lock this thread. No need for it to continue. 

    1
    Topic locked