Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 74 posts · 35 votes
Hey Guys, my wife and I are wanting to get into the STR game and we live in the country of texas LOL; however, i do have some questions...
1. we have a strategy idea of 'airbnb-ing' the property in the summertime and trying to use the home for Snowbirds in the winter. does anyone have a history of using their properties as a snowbird home?
2. if so, how does that agreement look?
3. is there a lease involved?
or is it more like a traditional STR on a continuous rotation?
Real Estate Agent · Pearland, TX · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 34 votes
4y
Hi Joseph, certain properties seem to draw in the snowbirds more than others and I personally haven't found a good way to connect with the snowbirds (also, my STRs probably wouldn't be their first choice). As Luke said, it works well with small properties and properties that are waterfront (If you are investing near the water). You would definitely want a lease in place.
Sure. Super common with smaller properties in my markets. Yes you would want a lease for anything over 28 days in most states
awesome! I greatly appreciate it i did not receive e-mail responses from BP that someone responded to my post. I was getting ready to repost this!
how does this look as you flip between STRs and the month-to-month. like the utilities? do you just keep the utilities and configure the cost into your lease agreement? and what amenities do you find popular that mesh well with both STRs and the Snowbirds? and most importantly price ranges. it looks like youre in different markets im just looking for like ballpark figures.
Hi Joseph, certain properties seem to draw in the snowbirds more than others and I personally haven't found a good way to connect with the snowbirds (also, my STRs probably wouldn't be their first choice). As Luke said, it works well with small properties and properties that are waterfront (If you are investing near the water). You would definitely want a lease in place.
you know honestly i think i am going to try and use a mailer service like list source or something and target a certain age group in some northern states and see how this fares out, if this is something my wife and i decide to move forward with.
Hi Joseph, certain properties seem to draw in the snowbirds more than others and I personally haven't found a good way to connect with the snowbirds (also, my STRs probably wouldn't be their first choice). As Luke said, it works well with small properties and properties that are waterfront (If you are investing near the water). You would definitely want a lease in place.
you know honestly i think i am going to try and use a mailer service like list source or something and target a certain age group in some northern states and see how this fares out, if this is something my wife and i decide to move forward with.
Ohhh, please keep me updated if you do! I’m curious how that works out. Best of luck!
Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 74 posts · 35 votes
4y
Yeah, of course, because I was in the same boat as you of not knowing how to reach them and then the idea of using a direct mail strategy, but instead advertising my STR. I'm not looking for the perfect property, but rather a solid base hit to build off.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
@Joseph Medina Are you positive that you can't just go all STR? Are there any other competitors nearby that do STR all year round? Would a) be a lot simpler, b) avoid the whole tenant mess, and c) make you more money......
@Joseph Medina Are you positive that you can't just go all STR? Are there any other competitors nearby that do STR all year round? Would a) be a lot simpler, b) avoid the whole tenant mess, and c) make you more money......
@Bruce Woodruff, Yeah we could do that, my thought was the summer is the popping months high occupancy, money is good, you know basically making hay while the sun shines. But, as you, I live in a southern state ( I see you're based out of AZ), so I know the snow birds fly south for the winter. So, I imagine having them in the property during the winter to help out during the low months. its more or less a hedge aginst the winter months.
I am currently still narrowing down the location we want to jump into. the great country of texas LOL is massive so we are looking more or less southern texas. i dont think there are many HOAs out there and the area is not new to STRs as its a poppin spot for the winter texans.
so in a long winded way i dont know if there are year round STRs but once i do ill keep the post up dated!
plus how can you tell if it is a year round BnB'er?
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
@Joseph Medina I'd just keep this simple and do a year round STR. Do your research and find that town, plenty in Texas I expect. Make more $$ and stay away from acquiring a guest that suddenly has 'tenant rights'. I'm not even sure why you're considering doing this snowbird thing to be honest....