'Holes' in AirDNA territories

'Holes' in AirDNA territories

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

When navigating AirDNA maps looking for areas that might hold promse as STR candidates, I see multiple times where Vrbo properties exist but are not represented in an AirDNA 'territory'. Pardon me if I don't have the terminology for 'territory' correct. The highlighted areas seem to be semi-random zones that don't coincide with town, city, or county boundaries. Below is an example.

In Vrbo I selected Chowan County NC, bordered on the west by the Chowan River. I zoomed out a bit and did a screenshot. In AirDNA I couldn't enter Chowan County, so I selected the Edenton 'territory' instead. The Edenton territory is identified with the blue dots representing Vrbo property, bordered by the river and sound to the west and south respectively. I then zoomed out to "see" the river (VA border to Albemarle Sound.)

In AirDNA, there are no 'territories' on the western side of the Chowan River. The closest I could get was Ahoskie (labelled and highlighted in the above image.) In the image below, I annotated the Vrbo properties that are Not represented in AirDNA with a No indication. I verified these properties exist on Vrbo and are active listings.

I am looking at areas in Virginia and see the same thing. Can someone AirDNA-splain what I'm missing? How is AirDNA helping me with territory selection when viable river front properties are not represented on their platform? Thanks in advance. 

1Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Better to check manually. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Chris Martin, AirDNA has spotty results and this is a clear example. The algorithm can only pull what it can find and it isn't perfect. What @John Underwood said is a better method IMHO. I checked each and every listing in my chosen area, weeded out the ones that were either too small, too large etc and ended up with my competition.

    Then you can figure out your best starting nightly rate and possible occupancy rates.

    AirDNA can do OK if there is a lot of comps to pull, but it is pretty worthless in areas where there aren't many rentals. The map you posted shows a fewer amount. Do that in Pigeon Forge to see the difference.

    I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.