3-day notice in Florida - Tape to door in envelope?

3-day notice in Florida - Tape to door in envelope?

Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 1 vote

I understand the ways of delivering a 3-day notice to quit, and I prefer to deliver to the tenant and leave at their door. Question is, do I tape the form to the door or put it in an envelope, and tape the envelope to the door, to give the tenant a bit more privacy. If I do that, what do I put on the outside of the envelope? Will this method alone be ok with the judge, or should I use some sort of backup? - Thanks!

0Reply
32 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Kai G.

    If privacy is a concern, where I am you can theoretically use certified mail, but I normally tape the notice to the door and take a picture of it. There's no envelope involved.

    Keep in my mind, before you take this step, you should be completely versed in Florida law and also any local county and municipal limitations or addendums to that law. If you don't know, hire a lawyer to walk you through the process, consult with a more experienced landlord.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Kai G

    I have posted notices plainly and in envelopes on tenants doors . I like to scan the notice with my signature the same day that I post it along with taking a picture of it on the tenants door. My attorney said that my account of this would stand in court but as Jim said, consult your attorney and also educate yourself on local laws.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    It depends. If I think the tenant is going to play games or there's a threat to someone's safety, then we'll have notice served by the Sheriff's office ($50 charge, passed on to tenant). If there's no real risk, we'll try to hand-deliver or post it to their door. IF you post it, be sure to take a picture for record.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    I post it and take a picture. 

  • Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thank you all very much!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.