Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Augustin Sell
Votes |
Would this make a good rental property?

Augustin Sell
Posted Nov 13 2020, 15:20

Would this property be a good deal? I have read a few books about rental property investing, and after analyzing some properties, I would like to know if this one would make a good investment. I believe that similar properties rent for about $1300 in this area (not completely sure). As far as I can tell, this is a good deal. Please let me know your opinion!

Also, would this make a good first investment?

link: 
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1224-Meadow-Stream-Rd-24-West-Valley-City-UT-84119/2077461341_zpid/?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Passey
  • Investor
  • Missoula, MT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Missoula, MT
Replied Nov 13 2020, 15:27

I didn't run all the numbers on it, but the $650 a month lot rent is probably going to kill the deal. 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Nov 13 2020, 16:30

@Augustin Sell Welcome to BPThe pictures are excellent all the finishes and appliances look great. But it is essentially a MH in a park and they are charging 650/mo and you have to buy the place. At the end of your mortgage you will have no real investment and probably zero cash flow due to the monthly fees. So it would not be for me.

Also, unless you are completely familiar with the RE buying process, and know what can go wrong, and have done it dozens of times, don't get into an FSBO deal. All the best!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Nov 14 2020, 00:36
Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

@Augustin Sell Welcome to BPThe pictures are excellent all the finishes and appliances look great. But it is essentially a MH in a park and they are charging 650/mo and you have to buy the place. At the end of your mortgage you will have no real investment and probably zero cash flow due to the monthly fees. So it would not be for me.

Also, unless you are completely familiar with the RE buying process, and know what can go wrong, and have done it dozens of times, don't get into an FSBO deal. All the best!

I agree. I also don't like any property with a homeowners association, because it's like having a bunch of strangers in the middle of my investment who can change rules, etc., raise the dues, on and on. In my experience, HOAs aren't worth the money, and they can foreclose on you for unpaid HOA fees. Same with these mobile home park fees.

I did want to mention that I think a new investor could buy a for sale by owner with their own buyer's agent and do the deal through a title company or attorney (depending on how it's done in that state - some use attorneys, etc.).  You could offer to pay the buyer agent what they would have received in a buyer's agent commission or work out a deal to split it with the seller.  

User Stats

Votes
Filipe Pereira
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Replied Nov 14 2020, 04:26

@Augustin Sell 

As others have mentioned, this deal would be a pass for me. Right off the bat, it doesn't even meet the 1% rule, and once you factor in the lot fees it gets pretty ugly pretty quickly.

Starting your investment strategy off with a bad deal is not a good plan, so no, this would not be a good first investment property.

I see that you are new to BiggerPockets, welcome! Are you familiar with the term house hacking? That is usually the most profitable first form of investing for most people.

Connecticut Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Nov 14 2020, 22:15

@Augustin Sell It all depends on your specifications and what you're looking for on your return on investment. Look at your goals, both long term and short term and your minimum cash flow requirements. Figure out how long the unit will take to fill and what type of clientele the park will attract. Also, be sure you've got a good relationship with the park manager and/or the owner to make sure you're both on the same page if you plan to do business in their community. 

Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Maryanne Cameron
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Finger Lakes, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Finger Lakes, NY
Replied Nov 15 2020, 02:27

STOP! Before you do anything with Mobile Home Parks (MHP) listen to the Podcast with John Fedro. He's been on at least once. His main point is if your looking at MHP investing you can generally get in for under $10,000!! Manufactured homes in parks usually go for pennies on the dollar - resale - because as @Filipe Pereira mentioned above, you don't actually own the land and it'll cost between $8k -15K to move the unit. If you don't want to listen to the podcast check out mobilehomeinvesting.net which is John's website which has so much free information. 

There is a profit to be made, just probably not this one.