Need help responding to a tenant problem

Need help responding to a tenant problem

Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 5 votes

Hello,

I recently moved into a new house and am renting out the townhouse I previously lived in. It's the first time I am renting to a tenant. The new tenant moved in Sept 1. Shortly thereafter (within a week) she told me she found mouse droppings so I paid to have an exterminator visit the house and do a treatment for mice.

The tenant contacted me yesterday stating there was still evidence of mice. So I called back the exterminator this morning--they offer a discount if they need to make another visit within 60 days. When scheduling the exterminator to revisit the house (which I planned to pay for again), she mentioned that the technician noted in the report from the first visit that the tenant had a pet rabbit roaming around the house, and that rabbit food and feces attract mice.

My lease states no pets allowed, and I also wrote that on the listing. I texted the tenant today asking if she has a pet rabbit. She replied that she is petsitting for her friend who is temporarily in Texas and that the rabbit is providing her daughter emotional support during COVID because she is not socializing as much. She texted me a photo of the rabbit in a cage, stating that she keeps it contained.

I realize I can reply to her and insist "no pets allowed" but how much can I actually enforce this if I am not inspecting regularly, which I don't want to do? I value being understanding with a tenant and the fact that they can feel emotionally attached to pets, but I feel I also have valid reasons for not wanting a tenant to have pets--potential damage to the house and case in point that them having this pet could be contributing to new pest issues. 

How would you suggest responding to this tenant? Do I draw a hard line and insist they get rid of this rabbit (I don't know whether it is their pet or they are just petsitting temporarily--I'm not so sure it matters all that much to me)? Do I make an exception? I feel angry that they went ahead with this without being honest with me and asking permission first, and am now worried about what else they might not be telling me about. Do I negotiate with the tenant and charge an extra fee/pet surcharge each month to cover exterminator costs and the potential for any damage? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

I would send them a bill for the exterminator and a lease violation notification. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NorCal · Member since 2018 · 399 posts · 222 votes
    5y

    Respond with the truth - what the exterminator told you, plus a reminder about the lease terms. Having said that, if it were me, I'd also add that if it's temporary, I'm fine with the rabbit, but based on the exterminator report, it does appear that the rabbit is contributing to the problem. Any more mouse extermination appts she must cover, out of fairness. That's the compromise for you making a lease exception. The other option is we all stick to the terms of the lease. Get rid of the rabbit and you pay for the extermination visits, but not the next one or two as they will be to clean up after the rabbit. 

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I would send them a bill for the exterminator and a lease violation notification. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Hey I know that rabbit His name is Stew!

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    You need to familiarize yourself with the emotional support pet laws.   
    https://www.texasrealestate.co...

    I make all the tenants we deal with sign a form that says "no pets" including visiting pets....been there done that before...

    In our lease extermination is the responsibility of the tenants.   Most of my owner clients and myself pay for the 1st treatment if legit, but after that it is up to the tenant, because it is what is in the lease.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    The tenant apparently didn't claim this was an ESA, she said it was providing emotional support for her daughter. I would absolutely enforce the lease. If they try to pull the ESA trick, then they weren't pet sitting, were they? If tenants start lying to you about things, that's time to be firm but fair. I suspect that this is going to be the first in a series of pushing the limits.

  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Thank you all!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.