@Chris Martin Have they given you the deposit and are they able to pay rent? I wouldn't hand over the keys until you get the first month's rent....with a money order or something they can't cancel. I would also give them the option of getting out of the lease before it starts and finding a new tenant.
@Chris Martin Have they given you the deposit and are they able to pay rent? I wouldn't hand over the keys until you get the first month's rent....with a money order or something they can't cancel. I would also give them the option of getting out of the lease before it starts and finding a new tenant.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
How did you find out they lost their job? If a married couple did they both lose their jobs? Can one qualify solo? If you can confirm they lost their job tell them you’re sorry but they no longer qualify. Don’t let them take possession. If it’s not a temporary situation they should look for a home at 1/2 that price. If they know in their heart of hearts it’s a temporary situation I’d want at least 4 months of rent up front. Explain you’re sorry but with the unlnowns of the eviction moratorium you need to protect yourself.
Their job lost may have come at the ideal time for you and them. Before you started to count on that income and they locked themselves in to a lease they couldn’t afford. Or it may simply be a 30 day job loss? Depends on their position in the company and the size/sector of their employer.
They have made their deposit, but if they move in, I do not think they will be able to pay rent for long. I am thinking I will approach and see if they want to cancel.
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y
@Chris Martin talk it over with the tenant see what they have to say about this. It is possible they have or can get money. Make sure everything can work out before you turn over keys etc. If you do move forward maybe you need a bigger deposit? Check bank statements etc. Most tenants don't have an abundance of resources but you never know.
We do have another cheaper unit that is open. I think I will offer them that. I want to be fair and not leave them in the cold, but we also have mortgage to pay.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
What would the penalty be for not letting them move in? I mean in 2 or 3 months when the courts open? Might be cheaper than letting them move in and then not being able to evict. But yes talk to them. If the company is big enough to survive being closed and they’re important enough to rehire That would help.
Assuming a standard 3x income rule they were making over $100k combined. They should have resources to pay at least 1 more months rent (Through the end of May) it also sounds like they could have valuable job skills to get rehired and there’s always unemployment insurance.
Most people in that income range have decent credit and don’t want an eviction on their record 3 months from now after paying for a month or two. (Assuming the deposit is higher than a months rent and they don’t destroy the place you aren’t at high risk for the 3 month window.)
ps. I see now you have a cheaper unit also. I’d offer to let them move in to that one until they are fully re-employed and then tell them you’d be happy to move them to the other unit if it’s still available or if it becomes available again later.
They are on month-to-month. We are in a market where, when there is no pandemic, there is fierce competition for rentals, so month-to-month is works for us. I guess if we really wanted to be aggressive, we could tell them we plan to cancel the lease after the first month, but that seems like it could invite antagonism--and in the meanwhile, they are responsible for taking care of a pretty expensive asset.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
This is a common issue that Landlords need to prepare for. It sounds like you don't have a plan in place or a policy in writing, so you should probably just refund their deposit and try to find a replacement tenant as quickly as possible.
In the future, you may want to consider a termination clause. Mine says that if they fail to rent the property by the agreed date, they forfeit the deposit and I put the property back on the market. It's very clear and I make them initial the clause so they can't claim to be unaware. Works great.
OP here. Just wanted to update that we ended up offering the tenants an "out" of the lease, expressing that we understand that the pandemic was creating uncertainty but that we need them to pay rent. They still wanted to move in and have been paying rent each month. They've been very easy tenants actually.