Tenant Screening Red Flag? Asking for advice and opinions

Tenant Screening Red Flag? Asking for advice and opinions

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

First some background: I am screening tenants to rent a room in a house I am living in.

tl;dr: Seems that the applicant was rushing when filling out the application and had many errors in the application - not obvious until after references were checked. Is the applicant hiding something? Is the applicant just careless? What is the best way to turn the applicant down legally? If we have been corresponding via email, should I send an email rejection? Am I legally required to send a written rejection? The applicant would be denied based on false and misleading information provided in the application, not anything in the credit/criminal background check.

The Details:

This applicant looks great and sounded great during the initial screening call, but their application has some concerns. The application looked acceptable until I contacted the applicants landlord references. From doing research, I know that both references are family members. One admitted to being family during the phone call, and I forgot to ask the other reference, but know that they are related due to publicly available information. The problem with the information from the landlord references is not that they are family, though. The problem is that the information in the application for each of these residences is all mixed up and doesn't match what the applicant's landlord references told me. Even if I assumed that the applicant unintentionally mixed up the addresses and landlords (listed current landlord as previous landlord, and listed previous landlord as current landlord), the residence information still does not match. The amount the landlords said was paid in rent does not match what is on the application (the rent amount on the application is inflated by more than 2x reality). Additionally, the number of rooms and square footage is extremely different from reality. The applicant also put his previous landlord's phone number as his own phone number (I verified with the landlord that they never shared a phone or phone number).

One of the first flags was that in the online screening application, the applicant put his/her previous residence rather than his/her current address that is on the application (only know that the address he/she put is his/her previous address after speaking to his/her landlord reference). Another flag was that the applicant put his/her previous landlord's phone number as his/her own phone number even though he was in contact with me using a different phone number.

Other potential red flags:

 - Applicant seemed to be very desperate and has texted that he/she "really needs this rental" (paraphrasing).

- Applicant needed a lot of help figuring out how to get the application sent (will be moving from another state).

- Applicant only provided one reference which he/she already listed as his/her supervisor at his/her current job. - And my gut is questioning whether the supervisor was legitimate or not. The supervisor has a linkedin with a title that makes sense given the rest of the information in the application, however, the linkedin account only has 1 connection. Additionally, the job title the supervisor gave me did not match the job title provided in the application (it was close word-wise, but not so close with regards to the actual job). I told this to the co-owner of the house, and they think I am just being paranoid about this part, but I was the one who did the interview, and my gut is telling me something was off.


Am I being paranoid? Is there any reason to ask the applicant for his/her residence history for the gap in the provided history? Or should I just flat-out deny them now. I really feel like this level of false information is ridiculous. The lack of attention to detail really concerns me and makes me feel like they do not value my time. Is this the definition of a scam? Given this information, could the applicant be innocent?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

I didn't even read your post. The shear length tells me all I need to know.

Applicants are required to provide me with a complete application. If it's missing information, I don't process it. If it has information that can't be verified, I don't process it. If I find anything false in the application, I deny it.

i also don't waste time chasing people down and asking for additional information. If they want my rental, they follow my instructions. If they don't follow my instructions, I don't waste my time.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    Yes the applicant isnt being truthful. I would decline stating another applicant was selected. "We will keep you application on file" bla bla bla 

    then throw it in the trash and move on. Your only obligation is that you dont discriminate . Can you say that you didnt discriminate? It sounds like you can. Dont go down such a rabbit hole. Find a quality tenant and follow protocol 

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    6y

    @Andrea Gillis I would hard pass on this person.  If they lie on the application or do not fill it out properly that’s a automatic denied. 

    Find someone else that A isn’t desperate and B knows how to be truthful.  

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Andrea Gillis you are not being paranoid at all. This is what screening is all about. There are a number of red flags with this applicant he follows a pattern of deceit accompanied with an urgent need for the premises. Good for you to weed him out. On to the next one!

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    People who have nothing to hide hide nothing.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    Some of the red flags are:
    - Bad credit or name appear on civil court records relate to unlawful detainer. This is an automatic "no" unless you are a slum law & can handle these type of tenants.
    - Fake reference / lie on the application (i.e. what are they trying to hide? and what else are they hiding?)
    - Desperate or want to move in right away (besides some special circumstances such as they are from far away & have just accepted a job in the city, etc). In general, they are desperate because all other landlords don't want to rent to them. 
    - Have pets, especially big dog & pit bull. A misbehaving dog can tear your house apart causing thousands in damage (I learned the hard way) & most tenants would just run instead of paying you to fix it.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 221 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrea Gillis:

    Am I being paranoid? Is there any reason to ask the applicant for his/her residence history for the gap in the provided history? Or should I just flat-out deny them now. I really feel like this level of false information is ridiculous. The lack of attention to detail really concerns me and makes me feel like they do not value my time. Is this the definition of a scam? Given this information, could the applicant be innocent?

    IMO, he's just playing you to see if his can skip the application steps & don't need to provide unfavorable information (if he has trouble filling out an online application, he will also have trouble holding a job & have trouble paying rent). Some bad tenants do that with multiple landlords to land some novice one. I would pass unless you are desperate. Leaving a property empty for a month or two to find a good tenant is a lot better than having to deal with a bad tenant, especially if you live in a tenant friendly city.

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    6y

    check this but if you are renting to people to live with you.  You can pick WHOEVER & don't owe them an explanation.

    Do your screening tests.  But then ask yourself is this someone you want to live with? If no then just say no.  Spend some time with the person.  Give them a tour.  Sit down at kitchen table & have cup of coffee.  getting money is good, but getting paid to live with someone you enjoy is better. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    I didn't even read your post. The shear length tells me all I need to know.

    Applicants are required to provide me with a complete application. If it's missing information, I don't process it. If it has information that can't be verified, I don't process it. If I find anything false in the application, I deny it.

    i also don't waste time chasing people down and asking for additional information. If they want my rental, they follow my instructions. If they don't follow my instructions, I don't waste my time.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Andrea Gillis  There are enough mistakes that it wasn't a case of accidentally flipping around two bits of info (ie mixing up phone numbers).  The fact that both references were family members, errors in the amount of rent they said they were paying, etc would make it a pass for me.  You don't need to say why, just that you've decided to rent to someone else.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Junction, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    6y

    @Andrea Gillis why is this even a question? Is no one else applying? Is it hard to find renters for this property? The others are correct - move on!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks for all the input! This is my first time ever screening anyone, so I wasn't sure what was normal. We are planning on renting out rooms in a house we live in/own. It seems that I was extremely naive going into this. I will be revising our application to make it more fool-proof and will be setting rules for what dictates auto-rejection to save us time. In the future, any false/misleading information will be grounds for automatic rejection.

    As for the reason we have a small amount of applicants, I'm not really sure. It could be the timing and current events - our city has community spread, so everyone is probably using social distancing right now. I did a market analysis, so the price should be comparable to other available rooms. We'll be digging deeper before advertising available rooms again, though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.