How do you terminate a lease and what qualifies as legal?

How do you terminate a lease and what qualifies as legal?

Flipper/Rehabber · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 0 votes

I am a new owner of a duplex and have to be residing in the house within 3 months. The lease states that I need to give a two month grace period after notice of termination. How do I go about doing this? Do I need a signed legal document, do I need to consult a lawyer?

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    You will need to find out what your local or state laws require but In Kansas I need to mail them the notice and keep a copy of what I mailed.  Are you saying they are month to month or are you trying to actually break their lease?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jacob Sampson their lease ended and now they are month to month but I have to give them a two month notice before they are required to leave. I am in Virginia so I will have to look up the laws.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    CLICK HERE for instructions specific to Virginia.

    I highly recommend you bookmark this site because they have a lot of good information specific to your state. I also recommend you purchase their book Every Landlord's Legal Guide. Well worth it!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.