How do “ pro tenant “ “landlords make any money lol

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

The tenants are your source of income. They should be treated respectfully and fairly. The golden rule works here. That doesn't mean you don't enforce the lease, require late fees and such. Just don't have to be a jerk. Tenants are not the adversary.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    The tenants are your source of income. They should be treated respectfully and fairly. The golden rule works here. That doesn't mean you don't enforce the lease, require late fees and such. Just don't have to be a jerk. Tenants are not the adversary.

  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    Why do some landlords embrace their tenants?

    - I think that’s a weird view

     The quality of your tenants determines the quality of your returns. When you find good tenants you treat them well. Treating them well and being a doormat are not the same thing. You can be fair, considerate, compassionate, and hold steady to the lease terms.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    By "embrace" I assume you mean "coddle" or "treat especially well"? 

    It's important to treat tenants honestly and fairly. I'm nice and polite. I'm clear in my communication and expectations. I'm also firm in my policies.

    I do not treat Tenants like friends or family members.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    I am nice to my tenants I accommodate most requests. I have even had tenants that me after an eviction because they knew I bent over backwards to try and help them as best as possible.
    At the end of the day I treat this as a business, I have a strong lease and I enforce it. I do cut tenants a break that are trying and try to work out mutually agreeable plans to get someone that is struggling back on track. Sometimes this works out sometimes it doesn't. They know I was more than fair if I have to evict them.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.