Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Angeline Mentor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Tenant Screening Services - Best Software

Angeline Mentor
  • New Jersey
Posted Jul 25 2019, 10:54

Hi all,

I am interviewing tenants and would like to do a background check on them. Can you provide what service you are using for this. Also, if anyone has a great landlord/tenant lease for the state of NJ. Please share. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
  • Blue Springs, MO
Replied Jul 25 2019, 13:59

Disclaimer: I only have one property so far. I am not affiliated with any sites mentioned.

I use Cozy.co for background checks and collecting rent. I don't use the other features they offer (application, maintenance requests, document sharing, listing syndication). I wrote a detailed post about it here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

I am not in NJ, so I can't help with a lease.  Sometimes a local landlords' association or real estate investors' association will have a lease you can use, if you are a member.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lee
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jul 25 2019, 16:23

I'm actually using a property management software to manage my rental property and the app is Tellus. They partner with Naborly and they have a free screening service. I've used their reports to choose my tenant and the report is comprehensive and thorough. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Wick
  • Ankeny, IA
Votes |
  • Ankeny, IA
Replied Jul 26 2019, 09:59

@Angeline Mentor

MySmartMove for credit, nationwide eviction, and criminal history. I like that the applicant pays them directly so I don’t handle any money. I also do free prescreening of verifying employment, calling prior landlords, and open source internet of social media and state/county criminal court systems.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle McCann
  • Lender
  • Collingswood, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Collingswood, NJ
Replied Jul 26 2019, 14:00

Angeline,

Here is a link to the NJ Realtors standard residential lease:  http://www.shorehomes.com/images/form%20125%20-%20residential%20lease%20-%20pdf.pdf

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
David Michael
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Closter, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Closter, NJ
Replied Jul 27 2019, 08:54

@Angeline Mentor

If your working with an agent. They have a service that charges 25$.

If not and your in this for the long game I’m a hugeeee advocate for getting your license.

BiggerPockets has discounts I believe for screening websites.

User Stats

Votes
Angeline Mentor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • New Jersey
Replied Aug 7 2019, 06:46

Wow! I love Bigger Pockets. You guys are tremendous. Someone is always "Paying it Forward"  Thanks for the feedback and responses. 

User Stats

Votes
Leo Grinberg
  • MN
Votes |
Originally posted by @Mike Franco:
Originally posted by @Jason Zimmer:

I use https://www.myrental.com

They are actually offering 15% off of your first screening when you use the code NEWUSER. They have 3 packages ranging from $20-$35, but they all at least include background checks and previous address history. I usually go with the Premium package because it also offers credit reports and a "tenant score" which ranks a candidate on their likeliness to default on a lease. 

there are better coupons online. CAA20 takes off 20%

However, with naborly being free, why use paid services at all?

I tried the Tellus app on android, and it's buggy as hell. I stopped using it immediately

I always wonder how a company who give their services for free makes money. Do you know how naborly does it? I'm not sure if I want to create a liability for myself by putting my potential tenants in security risk. I know that some other screening services sites will bill prospective tenants directly so I don't even have to collect fees for it.