Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Angeline Mentor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Tenant Screening Services - Best Software

Angeline Mentor
  • New Jersey
Posted

Hi all,

I am interviewing tenants and would like to do a background check on them. Can you provide what service you are using for this. Also, if anyone has a great landlord/tenant lease for the state of NJ. Please share. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
  • Blue Springs, MO
Replied

Disclaimer: I only have one property so far. I am not affiliated with any sites mentioned.

I use Cozy.co for background checks and collecting rent. I don't use the other features they offer (application, maintenance requests, document sharing, listing syndication). I wrote a detailed post about it here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

I am not in NJ, so I can't help with a lease.  Sometimes a local landlords' association or real estate investors' association will have a lease you can use, if you are a member.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lee
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied

I'm actually using a property management software to manage my rental property and the app is Tellus. They partner with Naborly and they have a free screening service. I've used their reports to choose my tenant and the report is comprehensive and thorough. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Wick
  • Ankeny, IA
Votes |
  • Ankeny, IA
Replied

@Angeline Mentor

MySmartMove for credit, nationwide eviction, and criminal history. I like that the applicant pays them directly so I don’t handle any money. I also do free prescreening of verifying employment, calling prior landlords, and open source internet of social media and state/county criminal court systems.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle McCann
  • Lender
  • Collingswood, NJ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Collingswood, NJ
Replied

Angeline,

Here is a link to the NJ Realtors standard residential lease:  http://www.shorehomes.com/images/form%20125%20-%20residential%20lease%20-%20pdf.pdf

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
David Michael
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Closter, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Closter, NJ
Replied

@Angeline Mentor

If your working with an agent. They have a service that charges 25$.

If not and your in this for the long game I’m a hugeeee advocate for getting your license.

BiggerPockets has discounts I believe for screening websites.

User Stats

Votes
Angeline Mentor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • New Jersey
Replied

Wow! I love Bigger Pockets. You guys are tremendous. Someone is always "Paying it Forward"  Thanks for the feedback and responses. 

User Stats

Votes
Leo Grinberg
  • MN
Votes |
Originally posted by @Mike Franco:
Originally posted by @Jason Zimmer:

I use https://www.myrental.com

They are actually offering 15% off of your first screening when you use the code NEWUSER. They have 3 packages ranging from $20-$35, but they all at least include background checks and previous address history. I usually go with the Premium package because it also offers credit reports and a "tenant score" which ranks a candidate on their likeliness to default on a lease. 

there are better coupons online. CAA20 takes off 20%

However, with naborly being free, why use paid services at all?

I tried the Tellus app on android, and it's buggy as hell. I stopped using it immediately

I always wonder how a company who give their services for free makes money. Do you know how naborly does it? I'm not sure if I want to create a liability for myself by putting my potential tenants in security risk. I know that some other screening services sites will bill prospective tenants directly so I don't even have to collect fees for it.