Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Letchford
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wyoming
Votes |
Damage from Neighboring Unit/Landlord

James Letchford
Pro Member
  • Wyoming
Posted

One of my tenants just contacted me and let me know that the unit (that is owned by another landlord and occupied by a tenant) sprung a leak from the washer unit in the laundry room. The water from the leak has seaped under the shared wall between the units, saturating the drywall and underneath my laminate flooring.

I contacted my insurance company to look for their suggested course of action, but they didn't really help much. I don't think I should be responsible for the damages.

Can anyone make some solid suggestions? Is this damage on the neighboring landlord or renter?

Thanks in advance.

• James Letchford
  • User Stats

Votes
    Jim Cummings
    • Residential Real Estate Broker
    • College Station, TX
    Votes |
    • Residential Real Estate Broker
    • College Station, TX
    Replied

@James Letchford. If you can contact the Owner / PM for other unit apprise them of the situation. Ideally, they will take responsibility for the issue and correct / compensate. Otherwise, it will be on your dime or your insurance company. 

User Stats

Votes
    Matthew Olszak
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Chicago, IL
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Chicago, IL
    Replied
    Originally posted by @James Letchford:

One of my tenants just contacted me and let me know that the unit (that is owned by another landlord and occupied by a tenant) sprung a leak from the washer unit in the laundry room. The water from the leak has seaped under the shared wall between the units, saturating the drywall and underneath my laminate flooring.

I contacted my insurance company to look for their suggested course of action, but they didn't really help much. I don't think I should be responsible for the damages.

Can anyone make some solid suggestions? Is this damage on the neighboring landlord or renter?

Thanks in advance.

File a claim with your insurance company and have your tenant file a claim for damage to their property with their renters insurance company. Those insurance companies will go after the appropriate party to recoup their costs.

• Matthew Olszak
  • [email protected]
  • 847-447-6824
  • CV3 Financial logo
    CV3 Financial
    |
    Sponsored
    Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
    James Letchford
    Pro Member
    • Wyoming
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Wyoming
    Replied

Thank you both, @Jim Cummings and @Matthew Olszak. I really appreciate your advice and participation.

• James Letchford