Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Julie Verardi
  • Buy & hold real estate investor. Designer & animator.
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Adding carpet in basement. Who is responsible if it floods?

Julie Verardi
  • Buy & hold real estate investor. Designer & animator.
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted May 29 2019, 15:14

Question for land lords. 

My first set of tenants put in new carpeting in the basement that just had a bare floor prior. It did flood and did minor damage to it but we kept it and I told them prior they are responsible for anything that happens to it so we let it be. 

My new tenant who has been great and takes great care of the place wants to redo the carpet that she will pay for ( we have been flood free since but you never know). I told her that's fine but she's responsible. She followed up with, "If the issue is completely out of my control (i.e., flood or major leak that is outside of my control), I would assume that this wouldn't be my responsibility (just like it wouldn't be my responsibility if something major out of my control were to happen to the existing carpet). Please confirm."

Do I agree to replace the carpet if a flood is to happen? Do I tell her I'm responsible for the current carpet she did rent the place with but not the new one? I guess it's not her personal property since I want her to leave it when she leaves like the current one. Should she only be responsible if the instal isn't right or a problem happens because of the carpet not to the carpet?

I'm going back and forth on this because she did rent it with a carpet, she's a good tenant that I wouldn't want to lose but carpet isn't my first choice and I may or may not want to replace it with the exact carpet or be responsible for it. However it does make the place look nicer to have something down. 

Any advice would be amazing. 

Loading replies...