What do you wish you knew starting out?

What do you wish you knew starting out?

Coventry, RI · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 0 votes

I just won the bid on a duplex that I plan to househack as an owner occupied.  I'm working on the inspection and rest of the closing pieces at this time.

As I get closer to closing I need to start thinking about renting out either the top or bottom unit.  As this is my first rental property I would love to hear from more experienced people to hear about the errors you initially made, or just things you had wished you'd done differently, so I can learn from you and start off on my best foot.

0Reply
5 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 172 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Warren West First of all congratulations! Second, I recommend hiring an electrician and a plumber to do an inspection in addition to a regular inspector. Also be very conservative with your numbers and always have reserves ready. Congrats!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    There's a lot, but one thing is that it almost always costs more to do repairs than you originally think. So make sure to inspect carefully and add a contingency for overages, because there will always be something more than you originally thought.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    Congrats! I started with a house hack duplex about 25 years ago...

    Here's what I wish I knew:  The main thing is to receive the rent.  I love the details of the lease and challenge of the tenants and even the hands on work that I still choose to do.  Don't get caught up in worries or disputes or details.  The main thing is to receive the rent.  If the tenant is paying, you can work through any problem.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Best single piece of advice: have a reserve. Something will go wrong and you need to have money on hand to deal with it so you don't derail your investment plans or destroy your investment portfolio.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.