Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
I think shower inserts instead of tile are fine, change my mind

Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorPosted Jan 15 2019, 11:07

I see so many comments that tile showers are better than shower inserts.

For ease of installation as well as cleaning and mold/mildew resistance, I like a shower insert better. While I'm taking a shower, I don't look around and think, "oh, it's just an insert, that's bad."

Why do people like tiled showers better, and does anyone have any recommendations for a tile-look shower insert? 

User Stats

Votes
William W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • south Alabama
Votes |
  • south Alabama
Replied Jan 20 2019, 17:42

@Pete Barrow

I used FRP as a surround on my last bathroom remodel (SFH rental). I ran it up the way up to the ceiling in the shower, and then put crown molding around the whole bathroom. I also used it to line the bottom of the kitchen and bath cabinets, and came up the sides about 4 inches, so if there's a leak it won't ruin the cabinet.

User Stats

Votes
Pete Barrow
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 20 2019, 19:05

>I also used it to line the bottom of the kitchen and bath cabinets, and came up the sides about 4 inches, so if there's a leak it won't ruin the cabinet.

I've been lining our cheap big-box cabinet bottoms with lauan with a tough varnish proactively. This sounds far superior. 

You can put FRP on your bathroom ceiling too. Easy to clean off the mold, if it even forms. 

I wish this stuff was a little better looking, because it sure does solve a lot of problems. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 21 2019, 06:04

A lot depends on the market you're in and the expectations of the grade of home a renter or buyer is willing to accept. From a practical standpoint- installation, maintenance, etc.- there's no difference. Tile can be tougher to maintain and repairs (such as the replacement of a leaking shower pan) will cost more. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 21 2019, 17:58

Hi! 

I work full-time as a maintenance guy at a property management company and we do these types of projects weekly! 

Here is my two cents: 

I love tiling. There is nothing better than a bathroom with a full-tile floor and walls. It adds aesthetics, clean-ability and durability. And, from a maintenance standpoint, is much easier to clean when the tenant moves out...and much harder to damage. 

However, tile is much more expensive. Shower inserts are nice, look nice and provide water protection just like tile would at a fraction of the cost. The downside to shower inserts is that they look cheap fairly quickly - the caulking yellows and they can peel away from the wall when water gets behind it (water will get behind it)

At the end of the day, either option is good but I always push to do the tile. The unit just looks nicer. When a resident walks in and sees tile it immediately feels like a much more upscale unit.

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Lang
  • Savage, MN
Votes |
  • Savage, MN
Replied Jan 22 2019, 08:47

Awesome posting! I myself feel that inserts work great in rentals in that they are much easier to clean and maintain for tenants than tiling. I leave the tiling for the flooring and a nice vanity and that seems to work for my area.

User Stats

Votes
William W.
  • south Alabama
Votes |
  • south Alabama
Replied Jan 22 2019, 08:53

The problem I see with tile is that the grout needs to sealed periodically, which can be tough to do if you have a long term tenant.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 22 2019, 11:01

Greesed Lightning One Gallon.  Home Depot

User Stats

Votes
Kris Bolzniak
  • Turbotville, PA
Votes |
  • Turbotville, PA
Replied Jan 22 2019, 12:19

I actually prefer the look of a shower insert in most cases. I have seen too many showers that look terrible because of the choice of tile colour and pattern. At least an insert looks modern and elegant on it's own with no further work needed. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Carroll
  • Central MD
Votes |
  • Central MD
Replied Jan 22 2019, 16:16

Maybe it boils down to, it depends. If i'm doing an upscale single family tile looks nicer. If its an apt complex, especially with a higher turnover, insert it is. 

For us personally, I'm tired of regrouting my shower tiles, so I'll be putting an insert in soon.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Oliver
  • New to Real Estate
  • Decatur, AL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Decatur, AL
Replied Jan 24 2019, 15:43
Originally posted by @Arther Casillas:

Greesed Lightning One Gallon.  Home Depot

Do you mean Thompson's Water Seal?

User Stats

Votes
Sam Hopkins
  • OH (ohio)
Votes |
  • OH (ohio)
Replied Jan 25 2019, 07:40

I could not even imagine putting in a tiled shower with renters. That would be crazy. They can barely clean surrounds.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 28 2019, 01:21

same for me 

kd

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 28 2019, 03:08

User Stats

Votes
Laura Johnson
  • Utah
Votes |

As as beautiful as I think tile is, I despise cleaning grout and resealing it. We remodeled two bathrooms recently and have used these panels in both of them. I love them! Similar idea to FRP, but looks like high-end marble. They are panels you glue up. They have foam insulation on the back, so the walls are room temperature to touch, and not cold like tile. They look way nicer than an insert. We bought a tub for one bathroom, and a very sturdy shower base for another bathroom, and glue these bad boys up. You will have to caulk the joints, but we've had one of them done for two years and it's still going strong. The panels are vinyl, the same thing as a white vinyl fence you see outside. Very easy to clean. Very easy to install. Very easy on the eyes.

http://duraflexproducts.com/

They offer solid white or decorative choices. 

This company is located near Provo Utah, but they do ship. I don't know if shipping is affordable or not. For our bathtub, which is a larger than standard, I think the insert was around $425. Our 5x3 shower we took the panels to the ceiling, the insert was around $800. They come with trim. 

If I new how to insert a picture I would 😂 I'm new.

User Stats

Votes
Carter Owen
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 28 2019, 15:19

Well....if we are throwing looks off the table as an opinion thing (I would not!, then I would highlight as someone mentioned earlier that tile last longer. Granted it has slightly more ongoing maintenance than a surround but negligable. But for me a surround flexes and sometimes makes that cracking fiberglas sound and it just feels cheaper. I suppose that's because it is cheaper!

With that being said, if the budget is tight and the area is starter home style neighborhood, go for it! But if other houses are offering tiled bathrooms and you're the only one skimping out, you'll loose out on more money than it would've cost to just do tile. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Yeater
  • Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 1 2019, 10:15

Rentals, C+ , and B- area flips shower inserts are perfect. Anything higher end the tile will help your property stand out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 1 2019, 16:03

All I see here are people talking about inserts or tile. There is a good third option with a price point in between the two. Cultured marble. no grout lines. solid flat surfaces that are easy to clean. Comes in lots of different styles and colors. Of course cost depends on the tile or style you choose and if you are doing the install yourself. Typically with Cultured marble, the company that you buy from installs it. 

Me personally will avoid inserts. They just seem to make things look cheap and they chip or break easy. They do have there place, but Im not a fan. 

User Stats

Votes
Sandy Gelt
  • Professional
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 4 2019, 22:36

I think it totally depends on the price of the house. I'm doing a fiberglass insert in the basement of a rental but with the value of the house approaching $500k, I don't think I would

put one in the upstairs. I'm a broker and I feel it is a cheaper way to go which it is. It's okay in certain situations but it can hurt resale value. Just my opinion.

User Stats

Votes
C M.
Votes |

Our surround installs have lasted many years. Love that there is zero maintenance, compared to the tile,and grout. Personal preference I'd say.

User Stats

Votes
Mica Moore
  • San Antonio. Tx
Votes |
  • San Antonio. Tx
Replied Feb 11 2019, 12:48

Shower inserts for rental property's - 100%.  Cheaper and easier.  For my personal home? No way they look too cheap, so tile only for me.

User Stats

Votes
Diane Baker
  • Crownsville, MD
Votes |
  • Crownsville, MD
Replied Feb 12 2019, 20:31

Certainly the tenants for your market or resale determine the tile vs insert. FHA would rate a quality tile job with a 99year lifespan which adds to the appraised value. A benefit for BRRR refi or Flip. Surprised by the lack of confidence to get a good tile job done. There are cleaners and sealers that outperform the big chain convenience stores at the better tile/granite stores. Cleans walked in grime over 7yrs by 5kids,,,spray, wait, scrub, rinse, done. Seals for a year even with a hole in the liner of a shower big enough to put a finger through.