Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Albert Olivarria
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Soundproofing an upper lower duplex

Albert Olivarria
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Nov 29 2018, 08:42

I need soundproofing advice, I have an upper lower duplex and live in the lower unit myself. The sound from the tenants above is obnoxious, I can hear everything. My home was built in 1957 and there are hardwood floors under all existing flooring (carpet and linoleum). The floorboards also squeak and it doesn't seem to be confined to certain areas.  What are my options for decreasing the sound transfer, and reducing squeaky floors?

User Stats

Votes
Jaysen Medhurst
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greenwich, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Greenwich, CT
Replied Nov 29 2018, 10:12

@Albert Olivarria, there are various options for helping with squeaky floors, depending on the situation. Some may be fixed with a well placed screw, but in other cases there isn't much you can do without pulling up parts of the hardwood floors.

The best fix is, unfortunately, a pretty big job. You pull down the ceilings in your unit, fill all the joist bays with mineral wool insulation, seal all floor penetrations with sound-proofing foam, and finally hang new drywall using resilient channel. Do that and you won't even know you have tenants until the rent check arrives.

User Stats

Votes
Albert Olivarria
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Nov 30 2018, 17:01

Thank you Jaysen, appreciate the information.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
John Kim
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Dec 2 2018, 18:36

@Jaysen Medhurst @Albert Olivarria

I have been contemplating the best and cheapest way to soundproofing my 3 floor apt building.

I do not want to demo the existing ceiling because it is very heavy plaster.

I believe the best solution without demolition is to:

1) add 2" metal channels to existing ceiling. You can add RC clips for better results.

2) add 2" pink insulation between the metal strips

3) add a new 1/2" drywall ceiling. Add 2 or 3 drywall layers for best results.

Read this test (look at test #5)

http://www.mjm.qc.ca/publications/en/177881_Floor-CeilingAssemblies.pdf

The most critical mistake that people make is not leaving a 1/8" gap between the new ceiling and the wall.  The new drywall ceiling should not touch the wall to prevent sound transfer.

User Stats

Votes
Jaysen Medhurst
Pro Member
  • Greenwich, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Greenwich, CT
Replied Dec 3 2018, 07:03

Thanks for this, @John Kim. That's a good technique, especially if you can give up a few inches of ceiling height.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Johnson
  • Utah
Votes |

How how did your son proofing go? Are you satisfied with your results?

We have torn down the ceiling in our basement apartment, and are prepared to fill the cavities with roxul safe and sound insulation, install metal resilient channels, topped with 5/8 drywall. I will also be looking for holes in the ceiling to add acoustical caulk. I'm hoping this is enough, but I've been reading about isolation clips, also referred to as whisper clips or channel clips to hang the resilient channeling from. They are pricey, at five bucks a piece. does anyone know if they are worthwhile or not? Also, if we do one layer of drywall currently and find out later we want to add more, is it okay to have another layer added with green glue to the previously finished and textured layer? We are okay with spending some money on this project, but would like to keep it under control.

And for your humor, you should know that we found four if not five sheets of chip wood/mdf screwed to the ceiling in our basement! They then proceeded to finish the rest of the basement ceiling with drywall. You can imagine our shock finding out half of this room is covered with wood! Still scratching our heads trying to think of a decent way to get it down. Best solution we've come up with is to set the skill saw to the wood depth and start cutting between the joists. 

User Stats

Votes
Jaysen Medhurst
Pro Member
  • Greenwich, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Greenwich, CT
Replied Apr 18 2019, 13:42

@Laura Johnson, considering the other measures you're taking, I would skip the iso clips and do a 2nd layer of drywall with the green stuff between.

User Stats

Votes
Albert Olivarria
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Apr 18 2019, 18:05

@Laura Jonhson, I realized my issue was more in the master bedroom of my home, and after further research I found that three of the four walls in Master bedroom have heating ducts running up to the upstairs unit. This is most likely the cause of the easy transfer of noise from upper to lower units. 

I dont think there is a good way of fixing this without extensive work and money, but I am open to any suggestions.