including washer + dryer in a rental

including washer + dryer in a rental

Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote

I am preparing to rent out my property. It has a washer and dryer hookup. I am wondering if I should include a washer and dryer with the rental.

With a washer and dryer in the unit there is the potential Pro of increased rent. However there is the potential Con of having to keep the machines operational. 

What is the general consensus in regards to adding a washer and dryer to your rental? Is it better to include them, or is it better to just rent the unit with a washer and dryer hookup? Additionally is there anything anything else that I should be considering?

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Kenneth GarrettPro Member
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

@Ryan Y.

You need to look at what the trend is in your area.  Are other rentals offering w/d.  In our area we provide all appliances.  If we did not provide it, we would be at a disadvantage.  There probably isn't much of a monetary advantage as far as rents are considered, but it might give you an advantage from your competition.  

Good Luck. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Ryan Y.

    You need to look at what the trend is in your area.  Are other rentals offering w/d.  In our area we provide all appliances.  If we did not provide it, we would be at a disadvantage.  There probably isn't much of a monetary advantage as far as rents are considered, but it might give you an advantage from your competition.  

    Good Luck. 

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Good advise, thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 71 votes
    8y

    @Ryan Y.

    Hi Ryan,

    I have 2 washers and 2 dryers in my duplex. Part of the reason is the layout of the property, the basement is literally split down the middle and its either I have washer/dryer for both units or none at all. 

    You can get a good working appliances 2nd hand and cheap. I have it in the lease that these are provided but the tenants are responsible for any maintenance or repairs. The pros are that you will probably be able to find tenants quicker and charge higher rent, cons are you could have everyone in the neighborhood over using them. 

    I increase the rent accordingly. Overall I've been happy providing them.

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thank you @Brian S great advise. I think that's a great idea to make the tenants are responsible for any maintenance or repairs. 

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    8y

    Depends on the norm for your area, make some calls and see what everyone else is doing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Caledonia, IL · Member since 2015 · 289 posts · 213 votes
    8y

    I love it when a tenant wants us to provide a W/D. We always buy new about $800 - 850. Allows us to pocket another $40/ m and they rarely ever balk at the price. Once in a while I have to move here / there but I have 30 units in the same location so it's an easy transition. Bonus when I go to sell we leave them behind to sweeten the deal. Worse case paid for < 2 years!

  • Investor · The Creek, WV · Member since 2014 · 890 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Depends on the class of tenant. I provide them in my rentals as most of mine are mid to cheap level or rentals. I charge an extra $50/month but they never complain.

  • Jackson, MI · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hey Ryan.  I have 9 rentals and only 2 of them have provided washer/dryer.  One of those units we have not had any problems with, but the second unit has had nothing but problems.  We even purchased the stackable washer/dryer new with the thinking it would attract a good tenant quickly.  That did happen but unfortunately we have had multiple issues with the washer/dryer.  We will not be supplying a washer/dryer in future units.  Just one more thing that can go wrong.

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    That is all great information. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience. I'm showing the property to a few prospective tenants today.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.