(sub)landlord rented to a thief

(sub)landlord rented to a thief

Member since 2010 · 14 posts · 2 votes

I'm (sub)renting a room from someone (Tom) who is renting the whole house. I buy and sell stuff on eBay, and right after I moved in, an expected package didn't show up.

Tom assured me that he's pretty much around the house all the time (since he's been laid off over a year) and he's never had a theft problem in the house and nobody steals mail.

Turned out that one of the other unemployed guys in the house (not laid off, just living off his father's money) was in his usual spot (watching tv in the living room) when the mail arrived, and he set down my package and proceeded to pile the Sunday paper (which he was reading) on top of it...and then forgot about it thus not telling me. So I got the package a week later when the pile on top was finally removed.

Fast forward a few months, TV Man is gone but now there's another unemployed bum (Joe) in the house. Someone - presumably him - broke into my room while nobody was home (Tom had a medical appt or something) and stole $1,000+ of stuff I had bought and was planning to resell.

Joe is gone and I'm never gonna see my stuff - some of which is rare and irreplaceable - again but I'm sore about the whole thing and I think Tom has some responsibility.

Tom just shrugs and continues to live for free and drink like a fish on my rent money.

What do you think?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
16y

Your best option is to move to a better quality place.

The landlord has no responsibility for your private possessions. Your renter's insurance might cover the loss if you filed a police report about the theft.

Seriously, are you waiting for someone to hit you over the head with a bat before you get the message that you made a mistake in the choice of your living place?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2009 · 624 posts · 559 votes
    16y

    I think you need to move to a place where the caliber of people around you is a little higher then what your are currently experiencing!

    As for Tom owing you anything... what does your lease with him say?

  • Member since 2010 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    I have a short cursory rental agreement with Tom that doesn't say anything. Perhaps I should buy renters insurance and deduct it from the rent?

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    16y

    It may also be that Tom is violating his lease by subletting to you and others, in which case you would all be in violation of the master lease and subject to eviction. I know I don't allow my tenants to sublet. As far as your stuff is concerned, you should always have a renter's policy because the landlord's won't cover your belongings. As Peter mentioned, I would look for a new place and get out yesterday.

  • Member since 2010 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    Okay, I explained it in the "rent out the whole house or by the room" item.

    My landlord is cool with the arrangement, his master tenant does the basic maintenance (is carpenter/contractor) and he gets the rent like clockwork without hassle.

    So there's no problem on that front.

    Now Joe the alleged thief was renting an illegal part of the house (which has remained unoccupied since Joe moved out), so I think Tom made money and screwed me at the same time. Joe and his GF and their kid moved in with a sob story and money from Joe's GF.

    So I'm thinking Joe shouldn't have been in the house in the first place.

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    16y

    What you think and what you can prove are two completely separate issues. For all you know, it could have been Tom or a stranger who broke in and took your stuff. I sympathize with your situation but imo, I don't know that you have any recourse legally speaking. You could try small claims but that is an uncertain outcome at best in your case. Did you file a police report when this happened? Doing so after the fact only makes your case look weaker. I would get out quickly, if you haven't already.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    Your best option is to move to a better quality place.

    The landlord has no responsibility for your private possessions. Your renter's insurance might cover the loss if you filed a police report about the theft.

    Seriously, are you waiting for someone to hit you over the head with a bat before you get the message that you made a mistake in the choice of your living place?

  • Member since 2010 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    16y

    I didn't have a choice when I moved in. I live on a poverty-level income and had to move when the rental I had been living in was short-saled on the brink of foreclosure.

    I had to move in a hurry and this was the only place I could afford to move into on short notice.

    Perhaps you assume that everyone has a stockpile of cash ready to tap for situations like this.

    And Tom was renting to Joe an illegal basement so Tom was at fault for illegally renting to the perp, and hiw gains from Joe are tainted.

    Now we seem to have worked out a resolution where I'm continuing to pay the rent on time like clockwork but I'm no longer paying the utilities, all of which are in Tom's name.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.