Renting to a Company

Renting to a Company

Rental Property Investor · California, PA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 8 votes

So I hope that I can explain this so that it makes sense without making my question too lengthy.

I have a rental that I self manage and use for college student rental.  I have a Christian Community that is interested in renting my property for two girls to attend the local college.  The Christian community is incorporated, and from what I understand this is how they pay for things as the individuals of the community share there resources and pool there money for expenses.  They have also sent me a letter of credit for the incorporated business.

I usually run background and credit checks online  for each student along with there cosigner through SmartMove.  Do I still need to run background checks on the two girls that will be living in my property?  If so I am not sure how to handle this as they do not have email address or use the internet.  Do I write the lease agreement with the Christian Community or with the two girls making the Christian Community the cosigner for the girls?  Also,  since they gave me a letter of credit what exactly should I do with it?  Do I need to get a W9 from them?  Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Curtis BidwellPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
9y

@John Frank if the letter of credit is from the bank you should be fine. if it's a small organization you could get info on the officers with a personal guarantee. I would also ask for business references. If they've been around awhile they will likely be fine, they have a reputation to protect.  I'd also get a copy of their insurance, and make sure they have current standing with the state.  They may give YOU a w9 as you are the one receiving payment from them, but that's on them.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    9y

    I would still do my due diligence on the people living in the home.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2013 · 584 posts · 353 votes
    9y

    I would put the two tenants on the lease and have the community as a fully liable co-signer.  Conduct your background checks on the tenants as normal.  This way, the tenants are individually liable for damages and paying the rent as well as the community.  If they tenants don't appear on the lease, then they may not have a sense of responsibility to take care of everything.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    9y

    @John Frank I rent a couple units to Community Youth Services who fill them with their clients.  I contract with CYS and reserve the right to approve/ dissaprove their placement.  Each resident gives me an application that I charge for and process so that I know whose living in my units.  I also meet with each new resident and give them a sheet with rules and regs that they sign (summary of lease).  In my case all liability is with the organization.  I have about 6 years with them and they have been positively responsive as needed. 

  • Rental Property Investor · California, PA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Curtis Bidwell thanks for the information.  What do you do in regards to a credit check on the CYS?  I did get a Letter of Credit from the Christian community but I am unsure what I am supposed to do with that letter to verify credit.  Call there bank and references or is there an official way to check there credit or is just the letter enough?  Do I need to get a W9 from them?

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    9y

    @John Frank if the letter of credit is from the bank you should be fine. if it's a small organization you could get info on the officers with a personal guarantee. I would also ask for business references. If they've been around awhile they will likely be fine, they have a reputation to protect.  I'd also get a copy of their insurance, and make sure they have current standing with the state.  They may give YOU a w9 as you are the one receiving payment from them, but that's on them.

  • Real Estate Agent · Gloucester City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    There is a biggerpockets podcast episode that refers to this.  I have, as many others, listened to so many that I cannot remember which one.   If anybody remembers please chime in!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.