SECTION 8 Tenant help

SECTION 8 Tenant help

Springfield, IL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 7 votes

Hello all, I'm seeking advice for a multi unit property. I inherited a high maintenance tenant. She pays on time but she recently asked me if I would accept section 8. I told her I would in order to continue receiving payments on time and avoiding the work of finding a new tenant . I made the necessary changes in order to pass the inspection, however aside from her high maintenance needs such as tightening a door knob she has requested a exterminator for her unit. I ordered a spray for her unit but she continued to have an issue with the insects and she called terminex on her own and they said they were bed bugs. I called the other tenanats and none of them said they were having insect issues. 

So I'm really just wanting to get rid of her without breaking any rules. Would it be ok to tell her we are no longer going to accept her section 8? The section 8 is not finalized as I have not turned in my landlord paperwork information. 

Any help, experience, thoughts would be much appreciated!

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Frank Nguyen

Drop her now and do not turn in that section 8 paperwork. If you do then you will be forced to deal with her for at least another 12 months since that is the minimum amount of time their rents can be.

I rent to Section8 tenants all the time in my properties so I have familiarity here.

The good news is there are PLENTY of good people on section8 that would love to have good landlords like I'm sure you are.

Check your local eviction laws to make sure you can evict your inherited high maintenance tenant and then find another renter ........

I

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Frank Nguyen

    Drop her now and do not turn in that section 8 paperwork. If you do then you will be forced to deal with her for at least another 12 months since that is the minimum amount of time their rents can be.

    I rent to Section8 tenants all the time in my properties so I have familiarity here.

    The good news is there are PLENTY of good people on section8 that would love to have good landlords like I'm sure you are.

    Check your local eviction laws to make sure you can evict your inherited high maintenance tenant and then find another renter ........

    I

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    This is not a Section 8 issue. This is a tenant issue. This is also a property maintenance issue.

    Make sure your rental agreement covers pest management. You do your part and make sure the tenants do their part.

    If it is indeed bed bugs, you have a tough road ahead of you. Especially since it's a multi-family property. Verify the report. First and foremost, address the the pest issue immediately, with the help of qualified professionals. Bed bugs can enter a home in any number of ways, including hitch hiking on furniture brought into the dwelling from elsewhere or from traveling bugs who stowed away in a suitcase. Bed bugs become a habitability issue and your unit may no longer meet Section 8 standards.

    If you want to terminate this tenancy by refusing to participate in the S8, it may be viewed as discrimination on the basis of source of income. Which may or may not be legal, depending on the jurisdiction of the rental unit.

    If you want to terminate this tenancy for any other reason, make sure it's done correctly, in accordance with landlord-tenant law.

  • Springfield, IL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Marcia Maynard Thanks for your response. Do you know how it works out if I don't want to terminate the tenancy but just not participate with the S8 due to not being able to provide some of the information requested like my social security card?

  • Springfield, IL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Marcia Maynard Thanks for your response. Do you know how it works out if I don't want to terminate the tenancy but just not participate with the S8 due to not being able to provide some of the information requested like my social security card?

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I would call the housing authority that administers S8 for your area and let them know you changed your mind and decided not to participate in the program at this time. Take guidance from them about how to withdraw your application. Notify the tenant, so she can take steps to move forward with whatever she decides to do.

    Then tackle the problem you have at hand.... the bed bugs. Whether she stays or vacates, you need to address the problem head-on without blame or shame. Bed bugs can happen to anyone, but are more likely to happen with those who are more careless. Bed bugs are difficult to eradicate. If you delay in taking action, then the problem could escalate and affect other tenant units. Nip this in the bud. It's a separate issue than S8 or a "high maintenance" tenant. It should be your top priority now. Good luck.

  • Investor · Homewood, IL · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    I Agree with others that regardless if you decide to accept section 8 or not, you need to address the bedbug situation. A licensed professional can take care of it and depending on the level of infestation,  you may require a follow up treatment. The professional will let you know. Bedbugs don't discriminate and can come from anywhere! If the infestation is bad and furniture or mattresses have to be disposed of ( this is extreme cases) be sure to follow appropriate protocol so that you don't spread the bugs further in the building. For example, don't let an infested mattress or boxspring spring sit in the hallways, etc. 

    Regarding section 8, you ultimately decide if you want to participate in the program or not. If you choose not to and the tenant has a voucher, they will likely initiate the move because it is to their advantage to find a rental that accepts their voucher. There is no law that says you have to switch over and go through the section 8 approval process just because the tenant now has a voucher. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Get rid of her by not renewing her lease. In the future set up a clear and detailed business plan. It needs to cover every aspect of the business right down to choice of wall colours. You never agree to tenants requests that are outside of that plan.

    You also need to become professional quickly in this business. You decision to "avoid the work of finding a new tenant" is a hobby landlord approach to doing business. Decisions based on laziness will not get you far in business.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Frank Nguyen - The Housing Authority asked for a copy of your SS Card?  I've never heard of them doing that. The payee in my case is an entity, so there wouldn't be a SS Card, but nothing on any of the required paperwork shows this requirement.  Are you sure about that? They do require you have a SSN or EIN so they can report your income to the IRS on a 1099.  Is this what you mean? Even non-citizens can get TINs (temporary identification number) as long as they are in the US legally, so even that shouldn't be a pro

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.