How many applications to give/accept at one time?

How many applications to give/accept at one time?

Jeffersonville, IN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes

New to renting / landlording.  We are renting out my fiance's house and after only 36 hours of having the listing posted, we've had 16 inquiries thus far with several folks stating how very interested they are.  

Having followed several guidelines, etc. they all were provided with the forms:

1.  Application Process & Qualification Standards

2.  Potential Tenant Questionnaire

However, it has occurred to me that we will have multiple parties that meet the qualification standards at one time.  Given this, how are we to proceed?

1.  Give all that meet #1 and #2 above a application?  If so, how in the world do we justify charging a application fee (most likely $35 ... to cover Background and Credit checks) if we are only going to choose one?  

2.  What if we have multiple applicants who have No evictions, credit above 600, long job history, make well over 3x the monthly rent, No felonies, etc.?  In other words, if we choose the one we like the best based on all the information obtained ... how do we tell the other 3 or 4 or 5 applicants that although they met and possibly exceeded all the requirements, we chose someone else?  

Or, is this normal and typical?  

Should I only ask one applicant at a time (or 2 at most) to apply and do background and credit checks?

Just a bit confused as to how to deal with multiple applicants who may meet all our requirements and how to legally choose one and deny the others.

I live in Indiana and don't see anything specific in IN Fair Housing laws.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

1Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

Great article about this here: https://www.landlordology.com/order-of-applicants/

If you decide to go for the "best qualified" approach with several applicants/fees, be sure to document your decision carefully and avoid even the appearance of it being based on a protected class. 

Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 359 posts · 143 votes
    9y

    you are going to waste a lot of time if you run 1 application at a time. 

    Accept all applications and let them know you pick the best qualified tenant.

    You tell the ones you are not accepting that you found a better qualified tenant. Just make sure you base it off of business reasons and don't violate fair housing laws.

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    My process is a one page scoring sheet for each application.  I use the application to score the top part.  If they score low, refund fee and move on.  If they do well, run the info and continue scoring based on the additional info.  They should expect to pay the application fee at several places, it is part of the process.  If the initial scoring is middle of the road, put it in a holding pattern and concentrate on the strongest applicants.  Work on 3-6 of the best applications at the same time, looking for the best one.  As new applications come in, at least do the initial scoring to see if any are stronger than the ones you are working.  Expect to spend plenty of time showing the place and chasing applications.  Expect to run several credit checks for each vacancy, the credit data is great to have to see previous addresses and any amounts owing to landlords, get it and use it.  Work the best applications hard for 2-3 days digging up what you can, don't wait too long unless you are lacking solid applicants.  Don't let them bully you into a faster answer or higher priority, but they should have an answer in 3-5 days.  Refund what you can; you can wait and batch turn down at the end with "we rented the place to someone else, thank you for your interest."

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 183 votes
    9y

    @Brian Christoff I'm not sure that potential tenants will want to fill out a questionnaire and then fill out an application.  You can automate this process by referring potential tenants to apply through Cozy.co.  Cozy will also run credit/background checks which the potential tenants pay themselves.  What I did was direct tenants not to pay for the screening until I have had a chance to review their application and they have decided they wanted to move forward with renting.  I ended up with 3 applicants, and I accepted the first qualified one.  I knew which one was first because it was date and time stamped.

    Obviously, if your tenant pool is not tech-savvy, this won't be the best approach.  But if they are, you can then offer them the ability to automatic payments for free through Cozy.  This will save you the hassle of having to deposit checks and them the hassle of writing them.

    Finally, if you do deny someone for poor credit, you have to tell them in writing the reason you have denied them.  Otherwise, you don't have to give an explanation. But usually a simple "an earlier qualified applicant has signed a lease" will do.

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Letting people know up front that you are accepting applications, and will accept the best qualified application, and put a deadline on accepting them. If you get down to two or three that you like, contact all three of them and let them make their best and final offer. Sometimes you can get a higher price with a great qualified applicant y using this process.

    Everything needs to be transparent and outlined in your resident selection criteria to avoid any fair housing issues.

  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Great article about this here: https://www.landlordology.com/order-of-applicants/

    If you decide to go for the "best qualified" approach with several applicants/fees, be sure to document your decision carefully and avoid even the appearance of it being based on a protected class. 

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with other posters. I set a one hour showing time and pass out qualification sheet and apps. If they want to apply, I have all of them give a EM check. I filter through those and pick who I believe will be the best applicant. This could be due to no pets, earnings, length of time on the job, quality of the employer, etc. When I run the best qualified I deposit their EM check. If they are approved, I mail back the other EM check tell them thank you for their interest. I document the reason why that person was chosen in my files to protect against some claim of discrimination.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    one application will have superior credit, longer history of employment and superior housing verification over another. 

    Run the top 2 applications, per the information you have now and if it checks out I'd wait until they have accepted signed the lease have their deposit paid before you decline or run other applications. tell them they have 24 hours to get the above done.

    I would mention one thing, either your under market price for your rental.. or in a very tight housing market,, which could demand higher rents.. I think from the number of applicants your priced low.

    Make sure your leasing documents are in order per your state law and requirements, 

    usually first application in that fits criteria highest,  is the order you take for processing. 

    You could choose to re run your ad increase the rent and start over.. but to tell these applicants you've decided to increase rent to new rate, you'd be creating an issue.. You could just say,, we decided to take the property off market and will re market in a few days. your free to re apply. I'll be sending your application fees back. 

    Did you check the comps in your area.. first???

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    one application will have superior credit, longer history of employment and superior housing verification over another. 

    Run the top 2 applications, per the information you have now and if it checks out. tell the most qualified they have 24 hours to to sign the lease have their deposit paid, because you have a qualified waiting list.

    I would mention one thing, either your under market price for your rental.. or in a very tight housing market,, which could demand higher rents.. I think from the number of applicants your priced low.

    Make sure your leasing documents are in order per your state law and requirements, 

    usually first application in that fits criteria highest,  is the order you take for processing. 

    You could choose to re run your ad increase the rent and start over.. but to tell these applicants you've decided to increase rent to new rate, you'd be creating an issue.. You could just say,, we decided to take the property off market and will re market in a few days. your free to re apply. I'll be sending your application fees back. 

    Did you check the comps in your area.. first???

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I post FOR RENT sign in the yard and / or online with Postlets (it has a new name now) and by the time I get home, I have phone calls.

    I send them an email application and tell them "Let's get this out of the way and then I can make an appointment to show you the unit".  Sight unseen, they usually fill it out and fax it back to me.

    My screening requires time to call the landlord, call the employer, get the CR.  The screening process skews the 'application completion' dates and that allows me to choose the Completed Application in date order for the best qualified.

  • Investor · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 110 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    And remember, that just because someone comes to look at a unit and takes an app, they do not all complete and return the application.

  • Jeffersonville, IN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all the suggestions and help on this subject.  I appreciate it.

    Deanna -- Yes, there are a handful of homes in the same area and they are either the same rent per month or a little less.  I've even had folks offer to pay an extra security deposit and an additional $50/month if we'd change our minds about allowing a pet(s).

    Also, we are going to use Zillow's online application and background/credit checking option for all applicants which are comfortable using online vs. paper.  If paper, then they can give me the cash to move forward with the checks.

    Jennifer L -- the first questionnaire is no different than me asking those questions in an email or phone call.  But, I simply am not interested in this stage of the process with so many folks inquiring about the property to do personal interviews.  If those interested parties aren't willing or wanting to fill out a 2 minute questionnaire prior to the actual application, then they aren't all that interested.

    Again, many thanks!  On to the next step of having the folks qualified to run by and see the property in person from the outside.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russ M.:

    And remember, that just because someone comes to look at a unit and takes an app, they do not all complete and return the application.

     which is why I don't show without the completed application.

  • Jeffersonville, IN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Good Point Jeff.  I'm considering just setting up a 1 hr block of time and tell those handful that are qualified and still interested after going by to see the property form the outside on their own.

  • Real Estate Agent · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Brian Christoff,

    First I don't know Indiana state laws, but I do work with a property management company in Alabama. What we do is make sure that all applicants are aware that multiple applications have been turned in and that we run on a first come first serve basis. This process helps eliminate any questions of discrimination or bias. (i.e. applicant 1 meets your qualifications applicant 1 gets first priority, if applicant 1 does not meet them then the next person who turned in the application that does will get priority)

    Hope this helps,

    Allison

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 200 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    Yeah my pet peeve is people who set a time to see the house then never show.  Get that about half the time.

  • Home Inspector · Crawfordsville, IN · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @BrianChristoff  Found this the other day and it kind fits for you. I'm sure you are further along than proceeding step by step but the BP fellas put together a cool infographic. (picture is worth a thousand words) https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/2...

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Terre Haute, IN · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    If you are renting in your area you can also do a druve by and see how they keep the outside of their home if it's a single family home.  Sometimes you can weed out some problems that way.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.