Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Christian Wathne
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA
Votes |
Does Transunion SmartMove replace a rental application?

Christian Wathne
  • Investor
Posted Jun 24 2016, 19:47

Hi BP, hoping to get some help!

I've been reading all about transunion smartmove tenant screening, there's a number of features I like, but I cant figure out if this service actually replaces the typical rental application form, or if I still need applicants to fill out a standard application form then also go through the transunion smart move screening. Can you help me shed some light on this?

User Stats

Votes
Christopher B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Jun 24 2016, 22:38

I use mysmartmove but also utilize a std application. There's personal information that I want to capture from my tenants and keep on file that transunion doesn't share. I also review the application before submitting it to transunion to make sure they meet the basic qualifications of being approved for my property. This saves time for both of us, prevents me from losing out on a good tenant by having the property tied up with an applicant that won't qualify, and will save the applicant money if they don't qualify. 

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jun 25 2016, 05:30

My application first. I call all references. If things are good then I plug their email into smart move.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 25 2016, 06:01

Application first, then if the paper application and references are good I do smartmove. The only fee to them is smartmove so if the paper doesn't check out they are not out the fee.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Wathne
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jun 25 2016, 08:01

Thank you all, that makes complete sense.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jun 25 2016, 19:27

Agree, you want all that info.  Plus, it gives you a reason to deny - if they lie on the application, which gets revealed by the credit report.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Miller
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grants Pass, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grants Pass, OR
Replied Jun 27 2016, 11:25

As the others have said, you should still be getting your own application so you can collect past landlord references and also verify their information.  Smartmove will be giving you background information, but I do not believe they provide any info about past landlords.  You can do your application in person with pen/paper or there's a number of services that help you accept fully electronic applications these days too.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Jun 27 2016, 11:46

Agree all the way around. Smartmove is the supplement after they pass your basic criteria. You don't want to charge people that you wouldn't rent to anyway. And there's stuff Smartmove doesn't care about, like number of pets or kids. 

User Stats

Votes
John Kerchner
  • Bishopville, MD
Votes |
  • Bishopville, MD
Replied Jan 6 2018, 06:15

Does anyone have a digital application that I can use to send to applicants? New investor just bought a 4 plex with one unit vacant. Thanks