Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Flagg
  • Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
How to ensure that your Property Manager is checking in on your houses?

Tyler Flagg
  • Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Posted Mar 22 2015, 15:00

Hey folks,

Quick question for you. I recently took a look at a rental property that I wanted to buy...and it was in a state of utter disarray. It was clear that the property manager hadn't checked on the property in years, because it looked like a 'hoarder' house. 

I've got three properties currently and my PM does a great job of making sure they're in good shape throughout the year. However, I'd hate for this to happen to me in the future if I ever branch out to another market and get a different PM. 

Is there anything that y'all have done in order to make sure that property managers are ACTUALLY checking in on houses throughout the year? Is there a sure fire way to prevent this kind of stuff before it happens?

Any advice would definitely be appreciated. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 22 2015, 16:50

Hmmm.  How about a checklist form that they do with the tenant and both sign it and your PM sends you a copy?  With photos of the outside of the property?  (Tenants would probably freak if the PM started taking photos inside the home.)

It's normal to do an inspection twice a year, where the tenant is informed they will be checking smoke detector batteries and for plumbing leaks and to inquire of any other maintenance issues the tenant has.  If it's phrased like this, tenants are usually okay with it - so they don't feel they are personally being inspected.

And if you phrase it right with your PM, they shouldn't feel like you're micro-managing.  "Hey, when you do that inspection every 6 months where you check the smoke detectors, etc., I'd like you to go ahead and complete a checklist for me of the sinks, toilets, windows, yard maintenace, etc., and have you and the tenant sign it and send me a copy, so I'm in good shape regarding damage and liability...Oh, and please take photos that are dated at the same time for my file.  Thanks!"

Something like that?

Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Big Bear Lake, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Big Bear Lake, CA
Replied Mar 22 2015, 17:58

I'm a Property Manager and @Sue K.'s answer is spot on. None of my clients have ever asked for a signed checklist and pics, but I do those things anyway and would be happy to send them a copy, if they asked. I can't imagine your PM refusing.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Rothlisberger
  • Fort Mitchell, AL
Votes |
  • Fort Mitchell, AL
Replied Mar 23 2015, 13:08

I think @sue kelly's response makes a lot of sense. For us personally, we chose to manage all of our own rentals so we are not going through a third party to check in. 

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Mar 23 2015, 13:22

We have found no matter how good the manager is or how often they inspect, they aren't the owner and don't seem to notice things an owner would, so we try to plan a trip and check ourselves at least once a year.   We've caught several problems that could have turned ugly had they not been handled early, been able to check up on work they had done for us, and I think knowing we do check up on them ensures that they take better care of our property versus an owner they might never see.  

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Flagg
  • Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Mar 23 2015, 15:45

Awesome ideas all around. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate all of the input.