Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marc Dufour
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Late fee in CA

Marc Dufour
  • Denver, CO
Posted Sep 6 2014, 15:06
My tenants always pay a couple of days late every month. In my lease, there is no grace period and a fee of $70/day late. I haven't charge them anything. When they leave the property, can I deduct this late fee for all the late days? In California is it even ok to have this charge?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Sep 6 2014, 15:33

IDK if its allowed in CA or not.  In my lease I say money recieved can be applied to things such as the late fee first.  So, as far as I would be concerned the rent would still be incomplete and late.  I charge these fees right away.  You say "always pay a couple of days late".  That implies they have been doing it for a while.   And, apparently, you've done nothing about it.  I suspect you may have trouble collecting them at all.  You need to enforce these as soon as the rent's late, not when they move out.

As always, best to speak with your attorney about this topic.

User Stats

Votes
Mark B.
Pro Member
  • Morgan Hill, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Morgan Hill, CA
Replied Sep 6 2014, 23:17

If your rental is in SF you will want to check into the local rent control laws. The general guideline in CA is that the fee can not be punitive and has to relate directly to your losses. If you look at the CA tenant landlord guide it will reference two cases. The bottom line seems to be that if you have to defend your self in court be prepared to show the judge what your losses are due to the late payment. One option would be to say that you are going to be late with the mortgage and they charge x%. Naturally you are probably not cutting it that close and have reserves, so I'm not sure if that would negate the argument. If you have to sell securities are the taxes that you paid your actual loss?

This is the view from a pro tenant site: http://www.caltenantlaw.com/LateFees.htm

I think they go too far-the ca tenant landlord guide (while not binding) seems to indicate that there is room for reasonable costs to be apart of the late fee and not limits to the ridicules 10% annualized fee. When I search on those two cases it seems like the consensus is 4%-6% ish is fair but you can't charge an NSF fee on top of that.

My guess is that after a few days to a week the $70/day (your rent will probably drive how much) is not going to fly. I do mine as a percentage of the monthly rent after 5pm on the 2nd. As to what to do with the present situation I would not surprise them at the end of the lease with a charge against the deposit that you never told them through documentation about.  A letter restating the provisions of the lease and that you will be enforcing them beginning next month will be much more likely to withstand scrutiny. 

Just my 2 cents, not a lawyer and still trying to figure this one out myself! Yet another poorly written CA law.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Sep 7 2014, 00:54

I charge $100. I think you would have a hard time defending a per day rate if the tenant sued you in court for their security deposit. I've read a lot on late fees and the tenant laws are so ambiguous at one point I questioned if a late fee is even legal.

I used to have various late fees depending on how much the tenant paid in rent, but it became too much of a hassle keeping track of it and I wanted a number that certainly would feel like a penalty if paid and an incentive to avoid. Now, I'm $100 across the board. I just checked Quickbooks and last year I collected $200. This year so a far $200, but I've added quite a few rentals as well.

The prefect tenant - Stay, Pay and Refer.

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Sep 7 2014, 02:50

Fees and damages need to be assessed as they occur. Don't wait until move out and hope the security deposit will be enough to cover it. It rarely is. Also, I agree not to surprise them at the end, it will make a strong case for them and a weak case for you if it goes to court. Did I understand you correctly... $70 per day late? That would be considered excessive by most any court! Establish a reasonable late fee, in accordance with the law for your jurisdiction, and enforce it every time. Like @Jon Holdman , we apply monies received to damages, fees, unpaid utilities and such before we apply it to rent. Good to have a clause in your rental agreement that defines this.

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Sep 7 2014, 05:51

I would be careful about being excessive. I charge 10% late in California. Also if you provide no warning you can't just tack on a bunch of fees at the end. You need to give written notice and warning. It's not that you can't but it's that you are opening yourself up to being sued and LOSING.

Account Closed
  • Homeowner
  • Signal Hill, CA
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Signal Hill, CA
Replied May 1 2015, 10:02

when ppl say '10% late fee' how does that prorate at all?

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Hall
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied May 1 2015, 11:50

This is always a stick note.  Tenants are like any other relationship (especially kids), setup rules/boundaries and expect both sides to abide by them.  Please make this month the first month you reach out to them in writing letting them know that this will be enforced.

I looked at the site @Mark B. link and have to say from the it is one opinion of the law from a lawyer looking for work.

I personally prefer something found on the CA.GOV website as an anchor:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml

The truth is it's about the relationship - start with a good relationship and keep it by consistent action/communication.  If the relationship is not where you want it to be, use actions/communication and get it corrected.

*** This is my personal view of the situation - I am not a lawyer or giving legal advice.  Please speak with your legal professionals to determine the correct course of action****

User Stats

Votes
Mark B.
Pro Member
  • Morgan Hill, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Morgan Hill, CA
Replied May 1 2015, 13:16

@Aaron Hall My intent was to present an extreme example and I completely agree with your assessment of that attorney's site. When needing to know about potential outcomes I like to know what the boundaries are and the possibility for them to occur. Better communication = better relationships.