This happened to me a few months ago. I hope you can learn from my mistakes and experiences.
My last eviction taught me its easier to work with a problem tenant getting them out versus forcing them out with their feet dragging. This eviction altogether cost me $20,000 - legal fees, lost rent, and rehabbing. The first month they were late on their rent they explained they couldn't pay and asked for their security deposit in exchange for the keys. That way they could have money to move out to another place. At the time, I was not going to say yes to that and I began the eviction process. In return, they dragged out the whole process and let their family move in without my consent. Because the extra family members weren't on the original eviction, I had to wait another 3 months to get them out. 6 months altogether. Wow right? Well the family members trashed the apartment and left me to clean it up and rehab it. Have to say, not my proudest moment in real estate. But what did I learn? If I just bit the bullet at $1,000 dollars and gave it back to them so they could leave I would have saved $19,000 and 6 months of time. Remember, the goal is to get them out the quickest way possible. Lesson learned.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Navigating the eviction process can certainly be challenging. Unfortunately, relying on a "nice card" approach doesn't always ensure that tenants will vacate the property in good condition. In real estate, you experience both wins and losses.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
Navigating the eviction process can certainly be challenging. Unfortunately, relying on a "nice card" approach doesn't always ensure that tenants will vacate the property in good condition. In real estate, you experience both wins and losses.
True, people can be unpredictable. Maybe the path I chose was the best, but my wallet would disagree. I still think if I would have worked it out with them rather than jumping straight to court, I would have taken a smaller loss.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
Agreed. I’ve been doing this for almost 10 years, you’d think I’d know better. As long as someone can learn from my mistake and not do it themselves then that’s all I ask.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
the only thing with that is protecting future landlords.. but then again thats a personal choice..
@Nick Rutkowski Thanks for sharing this very painful experience. Wow!
I've seen some doozys as well. I agree that working with people is easier and more cost effective than the alternative.
As I read this, I'm considering creating a Cash For Keys written program that I can give my tenants at lease signing to remind them to come to me rather than just stop paying. I'm not quite sure what it would look like, but I definitely want my units back in rentable condition with as little down time as possible.
Thanks! Have an amazing weekend
I really don't get it. They wanted to leave but you chose to evict them. Was the reason to evict so you can pursue them or sue for something? If they were only there a month you could re-rent easy with little to no turnover renovation. I assume you know at this point but in general, the goal is the screen for a very good tenant and keep them there as long as possible. You see all the expenses you had in just that. People who fail to keep good tenants and turn over every year, they lose.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
the only thing with that is protecting future landlords.. but then again thats a personal choice..
Exactly this and why you should not do cash for keys to reward poor tenant actions. You are training the tenant on exactly how to $crew the next LL. If everyone took the cash for keys approach, then the odds of a LL getting such a tenant increases.
I have never had to do a cash for keys. I have been asked quite a few times. I suspect most who requested cash for keys had previously received cash for keys.
What I do instead is explain:
- the housing shortage in my market and that an eviction will forever make it difficult to find a quality rental in this market.
- I will ding their credit such that all credit cards and other debt will cost them more.
- I will keep their security deposit for funds owed.
- I will do my best to garnish future wages until their debt to me is paid in full.
This has worked 100% time so far. Zero evictions and zero cash for keys. My family has had rentals almost 50 years. I think it is good screening, luck, and that my tenants believe what I tell them.
Do not reward tenant bad behavior!
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
the only thing with that is protecting future landlords.. but then again thats a personal choice..
Exactly this and why you should not do cash for keys to reward poor tenant actions. You are training the tenant on exactly how to $crew the next LL. If everyone took the cash for keys approach, then the odds of a LL getting such a tenant increases.
I have never had to do a cash for keys. I have been asked quite a few times. I suspect most who requested cash for keys had previously received cash for keys.
What I do instead is explain:
- the housing shortage in my market and that an eviction will forever make it difficult to find a quality rental in this market.
- I will ding their credit such that all credit cards and other debt will cost them more.
- I will keep their security deposit for funds owed.
- I will do my best to garnish future wages until their debt to me is paid in full.
This has worked 100% time so far. Zero evictions and zero cash for keys. My family has had rentals almost 50 years. I think it is good screening, luck, and that my tenants believe what I tell them.
Do not reward tenant bad behavior!
Dan your market/assets/tenants are on a totally different level than a good majority of the rest of the country. One of the things many who think CA OR WA are too expensive or are anti landlord.. this works two ways.. and exactly how you describe it.. Tenants fool with you and they will end up in the Barrio..
in my court house steps days these were not tenants these were very pissed off homeowners who just lost thier home.. completely different their credit is already trashed etc.. So cash for keys got them moved and kept them from destroying the house on the way out.. I mean one family on one home i bought basically stripped down to the studs .. everything was gone by the time I got them out.
Hi @Nick Rutkowski,
Yeah evictions are always tough. I'm in CA and you're in NY so we have it a bit harder than most states to evict a tenant. Thanks for sharing this, I will be mindful of this myself when moving forward.
No offense, but that's a terrible idea! You are telling the tenant in advance that they can break their lease at any time and get paid to do it. If they want to leave, for any reason, they just have to pretend they can't afford the rent. You'll let them break their lease and hand them cash.
I manage 400 rentals. I get rid of bad tenants regularly and have never paid any of them to leave.
No offense, but that's a terrible idea! You are telling the tenant in advance that they can break their lease at any time and get paid to do it. If they want to leave, for any reason, they just have to pretend they can't afford the rent. You'll let them break their lease and hand them cash.
I manage 400 rentals. I get rid of bad tenants regularly and have never paid any of them to leave.
I did it the opposite way, I strong armed them, rammed them through court, and put a judgement against them. The "correct" way I'm assuming you're referring to. Maybe you're a better judge of people than I am, I admit I'm not the best at judging others and let a few slip through.
Just looking back, I've evicted enough people to see where I could have done it differently. For this case in particular, I think cash for keys or absolving them of past rent as soon as they hand me the keys would have worked better than going through a NY eviction. But each eviction is different. 9/10 I'm doing it the way you describe - no money back, get out asap, take them to court, judgement, garnishing. If I find out where they live next, I'll send them my contractor's bill and a small claims court paperwork. I posted this story because it was different, at least, in my experience it was. Hopefully it could help out someone else.
Hi @Nick Rutkowski,
Yeah evictions are always tough. I'm in CA and you're in NY so we have it a bit harder than most states to evict a tenant. Thanks for sharing this, I will be mindful of this myself when moving forward.
Our states are tough for evictions. Its easy for everyone else to say, "kick them out as soon as possible" not realizing "soon as possible" is 3-6 months. It's not a quick enough way, although cash for keys goes against all landlording lessons we are taught. I think it's a tool you should not count out if it means a tenant leaves in a month vs 6. I don't know what they tell you in CA but here in NY we are suppose to reject any sort of income during the time of the eviction. There goes months of income and fees paid to lawyers.
@Nick Rutkowski Thanks for sharing this very painful experience. Wow!
I've seen some doozys as well. I agree that working with people is easier and more cost effective than the alternative.
As I read this, I'm considering creating a Cash For Keys written program that I can give my tenants at lease signing to remind them to come to me rather than just stop paying. I'm not quite sure what it would look like, but I definitely want my units back in rentable condition with as little down time as possible.
Thanks! Have an amazing weekend
I really don't get it. They wanted to leave but you chose to evict them. Was the reason to evict so you can pursue them or sue for something? If they were only there a month you could re-rent easy with little to no turnover renovation. I assume you know at this point but in general, the goal is the screen for a very good tenant and keep them there as long as possible. You see all the expenses you had in just that. People who fail to keep good tenants and turn over every year, they lose.
Yes, the goal is to screen for good tenants, these guys were ones who slipped through. It happens, which is why I'm posting this story so others can learn from my experience.
Do you think they would have left if being paid the $1,000? Seems they are the type to take advantage and not follow the rules
Ego will do that lol. Hard part with business is separating your emotions from it. What's important is to learn and move on. Cash for keys is definitely the best way to get people out
in the day when I was very active at court houses steps cash for keys was by far the best way to get folks to move and bad tenants in a state with bad eviction laws to me would be the preferred method. you simply pay them when they are leaving the house not before.. that works fine and you give them more than 1k .. you make it worth their while.. IE motivate them for money.
the only thing with that is protecting future landlords.. but then again thats a personal choice..
Exactly this and why you should not do cash for keys to reward poor tenant actions. You are training the tenant on exactly how to $crew the next LL. If everyone took the cash for keys approach, then the odds of a LL getting such a tenant increases.
I have never had to do a cash for keys. I have been asked quite a few times. I suspect most who requested cash for keys had previously received cash for keys.
What I do instead is explain:
- the housing shortage in my market and that an eviction will forever make it difficult to find a quality rental in this market.
- I will ding their credit such that all credit cards and other debt will cost them more.
- I will keep their security deposit for funds owed.
- I will do my best to garnish future wages until their debt to me is paid in full.
This has worked 100% time so far. Zero evictions and zero cash for keys. My family has had rentals almost 50 years. I think it is good screening, luck, and that my tenants believe what I tell them.
Do not reward tenant bad behavior!
Dan, you have to reread what I posted, I did the opposite and evicted them. I admit, I could learn to be a better judge of character, even 10 years in I'm always learning. Id say 100% of my evictions are "no money back, get out now, see you in court, get my judgement, place it on public record."But this one eviction didn't have the same outcome as the others. Which is why I posted it with my own introspection.
This may be more due to the state you're in than the tenant.
This may be more due to the state you're in than the tenant.
This too, good point.
I really don't get it. They wanted to leave but you chose to evict them. Was the reason to evict so you can pursue them or sue for something? If they were only there a month you could re-rent easy with little to no turnover renovation. I assume you know at this point but in general, the goal is the screen for a very good tenant and keep them there as long as possible. You see all the expenses you had in just that. People who fail to keep good tenants and turn over every year, they lose.
Yes, the goal is to screen for good tenants, these guys were ones who slipped through. It happens, which is why I'm posting this story so others can learn from my experience.
Yes, valuable lesson learned. I get wanting to keep the deposit. I would want too as well. In this case I'd tell them I was keeping it, requesting they leave, and I wouldn't take action in court for anything. They would be free and clear. If they refused, I know at least where I am, it would be months of them getting free rent through evection.
Either way, thanks for posting so others can avoid this. No landlord here who has been in it for a while has not has some expensive lesson learned.
Thanks for posting...good to share the tough stories.
I can't invest in an area where it takes months to evict. Low probability but high risk.
In my experience it's always best to work with problem tenants than go through the eviction process. Did you self manage or use a Property Management Company?