Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bob Booth
Votes |
Security Deposit Return

Bob Booth
Posted Aug 7 2024, 22:57

I failed to return a tenants SD within 60 days. Because of this I refunded his entire SD. Can I now sue him anyways for what I would have deducted? 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 03:28

@Bob Booth, it looks like you can based on this resource. Look at the section called:

"What do I do if my landlord does not give me back my security deposit?"

https://www.coloradolegalservices.org/node/341/tenant-rights...

That said, you need to consider whether its worth the time, effort, and expense when there is no certainty of being paid. Having a deposit in hand guarantees being paid but suing in small claims court even if you win probably means you will get paid LESS than 50% of the time in most states. The courts do nothing to make sure you get paid, only determine who owes who. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 8 2024, 05:07
Quote from @Bob Booth:

I failed to return a tenants SD within 60 days. Because of this I refunded his entire SD. Can I now sue him anyways for what I would have deducted? 

Yes, you can still take them to small claims court. I would only do it if the amount were worth the trouble and I had strong documentation to prove my case.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Booth
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:26

Would they enact triple damages from me to him on his SD to offset what I'm asking for given this matter is now in court? 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:35
Quote from @Bob Booth:

Would they enact triple damages from me to him on his SD to offset what I'm asking for given this matter is now in court? 

No clue, my guess would be no since they have accepted the return of the deposit, but check with a real estate lawyer in your state because I'm just guessing here.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Booth
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:36

I don't see what is point of 60 day rule. If Landlord can just never return the SD. Give it back whenever they want then immediately sue afterwards. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 11:07
Quote from @Bob Booth:

I don't see what is point of 60 day rule. If Landlord can just never return the SD. Give it back whenever they want then immediately sue afterwards. 

I don't understand your confusion at all.

MANY landlords just don't return the deposit at all! So, there is a set time so that tenants can sue to get it back plus additional damages.

Even if a landlord returns a deposit promptly, damage may not be apparent or known at that time. So, that suing after the return of the deposit is possible although probably not common. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Booth
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 11:10

But they aren't really getting it back if Landlord is just going immediately sue them for damages. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 02:59

@Bob Booth, yes they are for a couple reasons:

1. The landlord may lose the lawsuit suing them for damages.

2. If the landlord does win the lawsuit for damages, the tenant may simply not pay it. That happens ALL THE TIME. The average tenant is very difficult to collect from depending on your state's laws. The court doesn't force the tenant to pay the judgement. The landlord needs to do the legwork and pay the costs associated with forcing collection of the judgement debt.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 9 2024, 05:38

I agree with Kevin. Suing someone is not a guarantee of success. In fact, the judge may be far more lenient to the tenant.

I never charge something against a deposit unless I have visual proof (pictures, video, documents) to back my claim. If I can't 100% prove my case, I avoid court like the plague.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 9 2024, 08:03

I mean you could sue, I don't know if I would. It's a financial and time cost, it's a distraction. If you have the evidence that there's real damage to the unit you didn't see before you returned the deposit, try contacting the former tenant first with said evidence to work it out. If they really did damage something and you have hard evidence, they might want to avoid court and just pay you. For a judge to take your side, you'd probably need to have demonstrated both that you have hard evidence and that you acted reasonably, trying to reach out to the former tenant first, anyways.