Tenant Complains AC Not Cooling to 68 degrees, Outside Is 114 degrees

Tenant Complains AC Not Cooling to 68 degrees, Outside Is 114 degrees

Rental Property Investor ยท Glendale, AZ ยท Member since 2014 ยท 18 posts ยท 10 votes

This issue has occurred several times at different properties: tenants complaining that the AC isn't cooling to a ridiculously low temperature when the ambient temp is about 40 degrees warmer. My response has been that a professional does preventative maintenance annually and confirms working order of the AC. Upon receipt of these complaints I'll personally check the temp splits ("delta T") in several rooms to confirm they are still within the acceptable range. If the tenant is still not happy I let them know they're welcome to purchase a window air conditioner so they can attain their desired living conditions. 

The AZ Landlord Tenant Act doesn't specify a mandatory minimum temp that must be attainable. It only states that "reasonable amounts" of "air-conditioning or cooling, where such units are installed and offered" must be provided (ARS 33-163). Well, I'm sure you can agree that 68 degrees is very unreasonable with an ambient temp of 114. I've received another complaint that the temp won't reach 74, but this was on their move-in day when the thermostat was at 82 the previous day. Obviously it takes time to reach such a low set point on a very hot day.

Here's where I'm looking for advice: What is the lowest reasonable temperature to set the thermostat in the dead of the summer? (I keep my house at 81 degrees so I feel rather apathetic to these issues.) Any advice on how to cordially respond to these 'work orders'?

4Reply
208 views

Most Popular Reply

WorldWide ยท Member since 2016 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 1k+ votes
2y

i think throwing in some sort of an IQ test along with the application should be mandatory. 

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 ยท 15k+ posts ยท 11k+ votes
    2y

    Depends where you look.  Direct Energy suggests 78F (25C) for indoor summer thermostat settings, Carrier suggests 72F (22C).  I'd simply tell them that when the temperature on the thermostat is changed, it takes time to reach that temp.  I'd also send them the manual for whatever unit you have which should contain the recommended operating temperatures (and min and max).

    Edited to add it also depends if they are normally hot or cold and how they are dressed. Eg if they complain it is cold in winter, but are walking around with short sleeves and no socks, then that's on them.  I'd also see if they are doing things to help keep the house cool during the day-keeping windows closed, having curtains or blinds closed to reduce the amount of direct light coming in (ie literally the sun shining in through the windows-not simple daylight).

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant ยท Summerlin, NV ยท Member since 2014 ยท 45k+ posts ยท 66k+ votes
    2y

    agreed 76 to 80 dgrees is just fine with 110 degree weather.. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor ยท VA ยท Member since 2015 ยท 21k+ posts ยท 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Chuck E.

    To me it would be below 80 degrees but just my opinion.

    Found something new to qualify in your next lease ๐Ÿ˜€.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent ยท Washington, D.C. ยท Member since 2012 ยท 17k+ posts ยท 30k+ votes
    2y

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 ยท 3k+ posts ยท 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Chuck E. I like the โ€œyou can add a window unitโ€ solution provided the AC is working to its best ability.

    I live up north where it regularly gets down to -20 degrees. I discovered many of my tenants like to keep their heat set at 78 with the windows open during the cold months. Our state guidelines say we must maintain a temperature of 65 degrees.

    Rather than try to fix the disconnect I have pivoted to changing my heating systems over to new systems that are individually paid for by the tenants.

    Now that I have 12 units completely installed I am working on converting another 2 buildings with 9 more units.

    I figured rather than being upset at my cost I would transfer the decision making process entirely to my tenants. If they want 78 degree temperatures with windows open they will likely have monthly costs of $3-400. If they opt for more reasonable temperatures around 70 they will pay less.

    For the record my house stays on 68 during the winter and I dress appropriately.

    If your tenants want 68 degree units they can pay an extra $50 or so apiece per month for each window unit. At least thatโ€™s what it costs me to run my big window AC unit.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Glendale, AZ ยท Member since 2014 ยท 18 posts ยท 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Chuck E. I like the โ€œyou can add a window unitโ€ solution provided the AC is working to its best ability.

    I live up north where it regularly gets down to -20 degrees. I discovered many of my tenants like to keep their heat set at 78 with the windows open during the cold months. Our state guidelines say we must maintain a temperature of 65 degrees.

    Rather than try to fix the disconnect I have pivoted to changing my heating systems over to new systems that are individually paid for by the tenants.

    Now that I have 12 units completely installed I am working on converting another 2 buildings with 9 more units.

    I figured rather than being upset at my cost I would transfer the decision making process entirely to my tenants. If they want 78 degree temperatures with windows open they will likely have monthly costs of $3-400. If they opt for more reasonable temperatures around 70 they will pay less.

    For the record my house stays on 68 during the winter and I dress appropriately.

    If your tenants want 68 degree units they can pay an extra $50 or so apiece per month for each window unit. At least thatโ€™s what it costs me to run my big window AC unit.


    Excellent solutions! Thankfully my tenants are all responsible for their own utilities.

    I should add: with the relative humidity about 20%, 68 degrees feels MUCH cooler than it does in other parts of the country. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor ยท Greer, SC ยท Member since 2014 ยท 13k+ posts ยท 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

    Us too, anything much higher would be intolerable for us.
    My HVAC system can make the house 68 when it's over 100 outside.

    Everyone has different tasted.

    If our AC couldn't cool to 68 we would have to go to a hotel.

    I have over 34 HVAC systems and I'm very sensitive to when one goes out. I have portable AC units or will offer to put tenants up in a hotel if their AC goes out in the Summer.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker ยท Cody, WY ยท Member since 2010 ยท 28k+ posts ยท 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chuck E.:

    It always helps to know more than your tenant. Do a Google search of air conditioning blogs or news articles. Most air conditioning experts tell you to set the A/C temperature to 20 degrees lower than the outside temperature.

    I recommend finding a good article, then keeping it as a reference to share with tenants. If they demand better performance, let them hire an A/C technician on their own dime and get a professional opinion, or they can terminate their lease early and move somewhere else.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Developer ยท New York City, NY ยท Member since 2015 ยท 812 posts ยท 718 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

    Us too, anything much higher would be intolerable for us.
    My HVAC system can make the house 68 when it's over 100 outside.

    Everyone has different tasted.

    If our AC couldn't cool to 68 we would have to go to a hotel.

    I have over 34 HVAC systems and I'm very sensitive to when one goes out. I have portable AC units or will offer to put tenants up in a hotel if their AC goes out in the Summer.

     You are way too nice to your tenants...

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor ยท Greer, SC ยท Member since 2014 ยท 13k+ posts ยท 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Calvin Thomas:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

    Us too, anything much higher would be intolerable for us.
    My HVAC system can make the house 68 when it's over 100 outside.

    Everyone has different tasted.

    If our AC couldn't cool to 68 we would have to go to a hotel.

    I have over 34 HVAC systems and I'm very sensitive to when one goes out. I have portable AC units or will offer to put tenants up in a hotel if their AC goes out in the Summer.

     You are way too nice to your tenants...

    Yeah probably. 
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor ยท Greer, SC ยท Member since 2014 ยท 13k+ posts ยท 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Calvin Thomas:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

    Us too, anything much higher would be intolerable for us.
    My HVAC system can make the house 68 when it's over 100 outside.

    Everyone has different tasted.

    If our AC couldn't cool to 68 we would have to go to a hotel.

    I have over 34 HVAC systems and I'm very sensitive to when one goes out. I have portable AC units or will offer to put tenants up in a hotel if their AC goes out in the Summer.

     You are way too nice to your tenants...


     They take care of me by paying the rent and taking care of the property and I take care of them so they stay a long time.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor ยท The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT ยท Member since 2009 ยท 6k+ posts ยท 10k+ votes
    2y

    I don't know of an ac unit on the market that can cool below a 25 degree differential.  

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • WorldWide ยท Member since 2016 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 1k+ votes
    2y

    i think throwing in some sort of an IQ test along with the application should be mandatory. 

  • Christopher BerraBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent ยท St. Louis, MO ยท Member since 2024 ยท 24 posts ยท 7 votes
    2y

    Typically an air conditioner can cool 20 degrees cooler than outside. I think you are on the right track. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant ยท Summerlin, NV ยท Member since 2014 ยท 45k+ posts ยท 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

    Us too, anything much higher would be intolerable for us.
    My HVAC system can make the house 68 when it's over 100 outside.

    Everyone has different tasted.

    If our AC couldn't cool to 68 we would have to go to a hotel.

    I have over 34 HVAC systems and I'm very sensitive to when one goes out. I have portable AC units or will offer to put tenants up in a hotel if their AC goes out in the Summer.

    I would be wearing sweater and long pants in my house at 68.. In Vegas I keep mine at 80 in summer.. feels  good to me.. and I need to take a jacket to any restaurant I go to since its 72 in those places and I freeze  LOL.
  • Investor ยท Greenville, SC ยท Member since 2016 ยท 5k+ posts ยท 13k+ votes
    2y

    Maybe it's this guy.  Won an Olympic gold medal but has to sleep outside at a park in Paris because it's too hot in the Olympic Village accommodations.

  • Realtor ยท Phoenix ยท Member since 2023 ยท 73 posts ยท 38 votes
    2y

    With this weekend hitting 116 on Saturday and Sunday, the A/C cannot cool to where the tenants want it. Please check out this link from the AZ Court system regarding maximum temps. Basically an A/C unit needs to cool to 82 degrees or 20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Obviously, cooling to 96 this weekend would be oppressively hot inside. The unit should be able to get into the 80's. 80 degrees during the day seems comfortable to me. If it gets to 77 or 78, that's a bonus.  

  • Investor ยท Pearland, TX ยท Member since 2014 ยท 11 posts ยท 0 votes
    2y

    If you want 68F in August, you need to move to Alaska.

  • Flipper/Rehabber ยท CA ยท Member since 2023 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chuck E.:

    This issue has occurred several times at different properties: tenants complaining that the AC isn't cooling to a ridiculously low temperature when the ambient temp is about 40 degrees warmer. My response has been that a professional does preventative maintenance annually and confirms working order of the AC. Upon receipt of these complaints I'll personally check the temp splits ("delta T") in several rooms to confirm they are still within the acceptable range. If the tenant is still not happy I let them know they're welcome to purchase a window air conditioner so they can attain their desired living conditions. 

    The AZ Landlord Tenant Act doesn't specify a mandatory minimum temp that must be attainable. It only states that "reasonable amounts" of "air-conditioning or cooling, where such units are installed and offered" must be provided (ARS 33-163). Well, I'm sure you can agree that 68 degrees is very unreasonable with an ambient temp of 114. I've received another complaint that the temp won't reach 74, but this was on their move-in day when the thermostat was at 82 the previous day. Obviously it takes time to reach such a low set point on a very hot day.

    Here's where I'm looking for advice: What is the lowest reasonable temperature to set the thermostat in the dead of the summer? (I keep my house at 81 degrees so I feel rather apathetic to these issues.) Any advice on how to cordially respond to these 'work orders'?


     You've definitely done your homework, as you know 20 degree delta T is the typical industry standard. 46 degrees is (substantially) unreasonable.

    To note; delta t and the equipment operation is highly relevant to the envelope that's being conditioned. HERS rating including DLTO calcs are the method to understand the envelope.

    FWIW residential HVAC industry is way behind the times.

    My only suggestion for the final question is be Polite, Professional and Persuasive. Oh and hang in there

  • Member since 2019 ยท 223 posts ยท 261 votes
    2y

    Is this a single family home or apartment. I think most tenants that come from a shared wall apartment building keep their thermostat in 60's. With the shared walls and other tenants also keeping their place in 60's the ac can easily keep up. This is not the case in a SFH with an attic and multiple windows. I'm not sure why all tenants think the house is a walk in cooler. If it's 114 outside and the house can stay in the mid 70's that's as good as it gets. At night it should be able to get down below that.

    Also make sure there isn't a programable thermostat. Some people think they can set the temp up 10 degrees while they are at work and then magically the temp will get back down. This doesn't work in 100+ weather. 

  • Real Estate Broker ยท AZ/WA ยท Member since 2023 ยท 1 post ยท 0 votes
    2y

    Also a landlord in AZ.  I haven't received any complaints from my tenants, but I've got great, reasonable tenants who understand it's HOT outside and cooling the inside to 78-80 right now is reasonable. 

    I think you're on the right track.  I also know the type of home and insulation you have is a factor.  But in general, 78-80 when it's 110+ outside is completely reasonable.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Glendale, AZ ยท Member since 2014 ยท 18 posts ยท 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I keep my house and office at 69. 

    Us too, anything much higher would be intolerable for us.
    My HVAC system can make the house 68 when it's over 100 outside.

    Everyone has different tasted.

    If our AC couldn't cool to 68 we would have to go to a hotel.

    I have over 34 HVAC systems and I'm very sensitive to when one goes out. I have portable AC units or will offer to put tenants up in a hotel if their AC goes out in the Summer.

    I would be wearing sweater and long pants in my house at 68.. In Vegas I keep mine at 80 in summer.. feels  good to me.. and I need to take a jacket to any restaurant I go to since its 72 in those places and I freeze  LOL.

     I concur with you! Anytime I go to a restaurant or a store I feel like they're attempting to freeze customers out of the premises in order to prevent squatters from staying too long. 

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Glendale, AZ ยท Member since 2014 ยท 18 posts ยท 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    Is this a single family home or apartment. I think most tenants that come from a shared wall apartment building keep their thermostat in 60's. With the shared walls and other tenants also keeping their place in 60's the ac can easily keep up. This is not the case in a SFH with an attic and multiple windows. I'm not sure why all tenants think the house is a walk in cooler. If it's 114 outside and the house can stay in the mid 70's that's as good as it gets. At night it should be able to get down below that.

    Also make sure there isn't a programable thermostat. Some people think they can set the temp up 10 degrees while they are at work and then magically the temp will get back down. This doesn't work in 100+ weather. 


     This is a single family house, wood frame construction with faux stucco veneer (the thin stuff they've used since the 80s). There is not a programmable thermostat thankfully. However, I am strongly considering the type of thermostat that has password protected set points (ex. prohibits the user from going lower than 70 degrees). Even though I don't pay utilities the wear and tear on an AC is a huge expense. 

    Anyone who has had to pay for a new central AC/heat pump in recent years compared to the pre-COVID years can attest that AC prices have SKYROCKETED!!

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Glendale, AZ ยท Member since 2014 ยท 18 posts ยท 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Walter Moneypenny:

    With this weekend hitting 116 on Saturday and Sunday, the A/C cannot cool to where the tenants want it. Please check out this link from the AZ Court system regarding maximum temps. Basically an A/C unit needs to cool to 82 degrees or 20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Obviously, cooling to 96 this weekend would be oppressively hot inside. The unit should be able to get into the 80's. 80 degrees during the day seems comfortable to me. If it gets to 77 or 78, that's a bonus.  


     Thank you for that link! VERY valuable info to have on hand!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant ยท San Diego / Phoenix ยท Member since 2021 ยท 12k+ posts ยท 15k+ votes
    2y

    I keep my personal residence at 79. Let them get another unit to run if they want. I don't know if you're aware yet, but the APS rates just went up abut 40% overall. People are squacking about their rates all over social media. Unless these tenants are wealthy, I suspect that the $$ cost alone will make them think twice about their desired temperature :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.