Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Orenstein
Votes |
Primary residence to rental - prepping and repairs, tax deductions

Aaron Orenstein
Posted
Hi All,

My wife and I just purchased a larger house on our block, and plan to keep our current home as a rental. We had already been planning to do some maintenance and repairs (repave driveway, re-insulate attic, replace two broken faucets, other minor items), but were wondering if, for tax reasons, we are better off waiting until we close on the new home and this is no longer our primary.

Can this work count toward tax deductions as preparatory work on rental property, even if it's currently our primary? Does the timing matter?

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied

@Aaron Orenstein

I would talk to a CPA

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

@Aaron Orenstein

Yes, timing matters.

I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation, tax planning and financial planning. Yes, we exist.

You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Montross
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crownsville, MD
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crownsville, MD
Replied

Do talk to your CPA as timing does matter. Just because you have moved out and plan to turn it into a rental, the repairs may still have different tax consequences if you haven't "placed it in service". And make sure your CPA really understand rental properties and has rental properties of their own. It makes a huge difference in their understanding.

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Bellamy
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Replied

Timing definitely matters. It would be worth speaking to a tax professional especially when you are getting into real estate investing. The door opens wide open for tax strategy then.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied

Yes, the timing matters for tax deductions. To deduct repairs and maintenance, they must be done after the property is converted to a rental. Repairs like fixing faucets can be deducted in the year they are performed, while improvements like insulation must be capitalized and depreciated over time. If you do the work before the property becomes a rental, it won’t be deductible but can increase your cost basis for capital gains tax. It’s best to wait until after the property is a rental to maximize tax benefits.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied

Yes timing matters but don't let it be your only decision.

If there is a $1,000 repair that you have to make regardless that may take 1-2 momths to do, you may save $400 in taxes but you would potentially lose 1-2 months of rent.

Best of luck with how you move forward.