Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Does Landlord need to accept the church charity /assistance of tenant's rent payment?

Mahmudul Shoikot
Posted

I live in South Carolina, and I have a rental property in Texas. I have a tenant who is a nurse with a decent income. She normally pays rent on time except for the last couple of months when she paid a few days late with late fees.  It's her 7th month running for a 1-year lease contract. However, she asked me if I accept the rent assistance. Also, the church called and left me a message if I was willing to sign the 1099. I have no clue about these matters. I told my tenant that the contract is between us and as long as she pays rent on time through charity or on her own, I don't mind but I do not want to be involved with a third party. So, my question is if there is any benefit or negative impact on me as a landlord to get rent on time, or during tax filing or renewing the lease? Should I go for it? Is it a choice  I can make or there is any law that I must accept regardless of benefit or not? Please suggest me. Thank you in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied
Quote from @Mahmudul Shoikot:

I live in South Carolina, and I have a rental property in Texas. I have a tenant who is a nurse with a decent income. She normally pays rent on time except for the last couple of months when she paid a few days late with late fees.  It's her 7th month running for a 1-year lease contract. However, she asked me if I accept the rent assistance. Also, the church called and left me a message if I was willing to sign the 1099. I have no clue about these matters. I told my tenant that the contract is between us and as long as she pays rent on time through charity or on her own, I don't mind but I do not want to be involved with a third party. So, my question is if there is any benefit or negative impact on me as a landlord to get rent on time, or during tax filing or renewing the lease? Should I go for it? Is it a choice  I can make or there is any law that I must accept regardless of benefit or not? Please suggest me. Thank you in advance.

@Mahmudul Shoikot

It’s your choice what you do, but why wouldn’t you help out your tenant to give you money?  All that will happen is that the charity will send you rent designated for that tenant.  They will ask you to fill out 1-2 pieces of paper, and they will probably send you a 1099 at the end of the year, but that should not be a big concern usually.

I try and help my tenants out whenever I can if they can get free money.  In the end it really just serves to help you out!

All the best!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied

@Mahmudul Shoikot

I am unsure if you NEED to accept it (you would want to check with a real estate attorney in your state), but I have accepted this type of assistance from many tenants over the years. I would make sure you understand how much they are assisting her. Are they sending it directly to you? How much are you still collecting from the tenant? I would also review this with the tenant so you are not getting her portion (if any) late in the future.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

You can and should accept it. Prior to returning the 1099 you should ask them how much assistance they have awarded the tenant and the date they will send the check to you. If you are completing a 1099 for their funds it goes without saying the check must be made payable to you and mailed to you. The 1099 has no effect on your taxes. You were going to report the rents anyway 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
Replied

@Mahmudul Shoikot I’ve accepted several types of rental assistance. It’s helped otherwise good tenants get by and potentially not become homeless. I’m happy to help them out as long as I still get my rent.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

It's completely safe and you should accept it. The church wants to pay you directly so they can prove the money was used correctly and not squandered by the renter.

I require tenants to qualify on their own before signing a lease. Once they are in, I don't really care where the money comes from as long as I get paid.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo