Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mohan Deep
Votes |
Lease expiration vis-a-vis notices

Mohan Deep
Posted Jul 1 2024, 08:47

I am in Milwaukee, WI and I use the WLB lease format to sign fixed-term yearly leases with my tenants. Additionally, I have a "Notice to Vacate" section in my non-standard rental provisions indicating that tenant and landlord must provide a 2 full calendar month notice to vacate. 

At the end of the lease, do I have to provide a "notice to vacate" or does the lease expire automatically since it is a fixed-term lease? 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 1 2024, 09:28

Hi Mohan Deep

General Rule: A fixed-term lease typically expires automatically at the end of the lease period without the need for a notice to vacate unless otherwise stated in the lease agreement.

For fixed-term leases, if no notice requirement is specified, they typically expire automatically.
If your lease requires a two-month notice to vacate, you must provide this notice even at the end of the lease term. Always review your lease agreement and consult local laws to ensure compliance with all regulations. I hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
Agent
#1 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Agent
#1 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Jul 2 2024, 08:23

@Mohan Deep read your lease. The WLB lease (unless you use an ancient version) states that if nothing is done it defaults to a month to month.

You can send them a Notice of rent increase (which you can get from WLB as well) sign an new lease, or do nothing and go mtm.

I find that a 60 day notice from the tenant is not very helpful, most owners don't start showings until after the unit is vacant, so what's the point? And we are in a market where we have 9 renters competing for one apartment, so I would not worry about 60 days.

But, be careful with modifications. A WI landlord had to repay 2 years worth of rent because they included a provision that Stat law does not allow (10 deadly sins - look up Koble case, for example on the RPAWI webaite)

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Corina Eufinger
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Replied Jul 10 2024, 08:39

@Mohan Deep

Whether or not it terminates by inactivity is based on the terms included in your lease.  It would mention somewhere an "automatic termination" or "automatic renewal" clause. I haven't used WI Legal Blank leases in quite a while but I know it's covered somewhere on there. IF the lease doesn't include language for automatic renewal, then it would default to being automatically terminated if neither party takes action.  Review your lease carefully!!! Then be sure the tenant understands the lease as well.  If you aren't clear on it, I would bet they have no idea either.