Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tony H.
Votes |
Fake reference story

Tony H.
Posted Jul 1 2024, 07:16

Just sharing a story here.

I approved a tenant (boyfriend girlfriend with 3 kids) to rent our home.

I did all of the due diligence including checking landlord references. 
the girlfriend put a certain email address in the apllication as landlord reference contact. She also put a phone number.

I did a quick search and confirmed the phone number is correct. Their landlord also replied back to the email quickly. 

I offered them a lease, few hours later after some technology hiccups, she forwarded an email to me with that same email address she used for her landlord reference.

I immediately told them this is fraud and cancelled their lease. I didnt sign anything yet.

Now they are threatening lawsuit. They said I am racist 😀 

If I am racist, I wouldnt have offered a lease from the start. 

Whats funny is, I reached out to their landlord by text message. He confirmed the email that the girl provided is not his email. She knows this. The landlord told her the same thing. Yet she still says I am crazy and racist.

Wow! Im glad they didnt move in. It would have been much worse nightmare.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 1 2024, 07:37

The fact that she came back saying you were racist rather than something like 'oh no I put down my email address by mistake'-which I can see happening, says something.  I'm curious if it was an email address with the landlord's name (which clearly suggests you were being misled) or something like fluffybunny?

User Stats

Votes
Tony H.
Votes |
Replied Jul 1 2024, 07:54
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

The fact that she came back saying you were racist rather than something like 'oh no I put down my email address by mistake'-which I can see happening, says something.  I'm curious if it was an email address with the landlord's name (which clearly suggests you were being misled) or something like fluffybunny?

Exactly. The boyfriend somehow cant understand my explanation. I showed him the proof and he insist that she was not and that i was racist to her.
I’m shocked to see that from someone who works in a professional setup. His boss also spoke highly of him of having good character.
I told him, if it was just him, he would have moved in already. The girl is the problem. 
He is the one paying the rent though. But I dont really care, both need to pass my criterias.

The email address is has no landlord’s name. Just random.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jul 3 2024, 10:11

I've managed over 1000 residential units in my career (so far) and I've seen this plenty of times. There are groups that coach unqualified / problem renters in this type of fraud. Fake IDs, fake social security cards, etc etc etc. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE AND TRUST YOUR GUT! 

And, this should go without saying, but always defer to Fair Housing guidance, ensure you're treating everyone equally, and keep diligent records of all applications for 5 years. That way, their threats hold no merit.