Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Thang
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
sec 8 Rent Increase

Joshua Thang
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles
Posted Jun 28 2024, 02:16

Has anyone tried requesting a sec 8 rental increase but the rate comes in lower than the current rate? Would sec 8 decrease the rent to the calculated fair market value of rent or at worst case scenario remain the same and sec 8 decline the increase?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Jun 28 2024, 03:46

@Joshua Thang - I have never requested a rent increase and had section 8 come back and reduce the rate. From my experience, the reps at section 8 truly want to find suitable housing for their voucher holders hence I would be very suprised if they lowered the rent beyond the current rate. As a landlord, that may prompt me to not renew the tenants lease hence they would have to seek alternative housing. 

Based on my experiences of requesting rent increases on dozens of section 8 recipients, the housing organization has always granted a rent increase.... perhaps not at the level I would like but never below the current rate. 

Candor Realty Worcester Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jack Krusinski
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 28 2024, 04:59

Hi Josh. I have some Section 8 rentals; no, I have never had this happen. When I asked for a bump in the past, I have received a slight increase in rent. It isn't always what I want, but it is more than what is currently in place. It has never been less. 

21 Hill Team Logo
Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 28 2024, 05:26
Quote from @Joshua Thang:

Has anyone tried requesting a sec 8 rental increase but the rate comes in lower than the current rate? Would sec 8 decrease the rent to the calculated fair market value of rent or at worst case scenario remain the same and sec 8 decline the increase?

Yes. I stopped taking Section 8 for a variety of reasons. One of them was that Section 8 would not pay market rates. Why would I rent to a high-risk tenant for $850 a month when a normal renter will pay $1,000?

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 2 2024, 05:17

Never, matter of fact they are paying much more this year. I just got 1700 for a 4 br in Lee Harvard, and 900 for a 1 br in East Cleveland, 

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 2 2024, 05:17
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Yes. I stopped taking Section 8 for a variety of reasons. One of them was that Section 8 would not pay market rates. Why would I rent to a high-risk tenant for $850 a month when a normal renter will pay $1,000?

Interesting in my market they pay MORE than market rents. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 2 2024, 05:44
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Q

Yes, I've heard there are some cities where Section 8 pays very well. It's a shame because that encourages welfare dependency for the tenant and the landlord, but that's another conversation.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 18 2024, 15:32

Yes, CMHA just raised their Section 8 rental rates and are really trying to encourage more Section 8 properties in this area.  That's pretty rare that it would come in under the current price, normally like Jack said, they will give you some type of rent increase, even if it's not the full amount you requested.

But it's a completely different existential debate about Section 8 and whether they're really that much more high risk than traditional cash tenants.  I think it really depends on the neighborhoods, but in Cleveland, I've seen cash tenants with great background checks and 700 credit completely trash units and were some of the worst tenants imaginable, so I think it really depends on the area.  

But when you meet these subsidized tenants and listen to their stories, you can definitely sympathize for where they're coming from and understand that the program really does help people and the immense need for it in this area.

New Forest Realty Logo