Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Milan L.
Votes |
Tenant ask to replace burner grate

Milan L.
Posted

Hi, I am new landlord here and recently rented out a house. The tenant asked for replacement of the stove burner grate due to grease covered. It costs about $200. There is no functional issue to the burner and rather seems to be cosmetic. Please advise if this is reasonable to change. Thanks.

just a side note, the tenant has requested first month free rental, windows coverings (not satisfied with the new blinds being provided), and free utilities for 5 days. We have try to accommodate all the items she pointed out, but this seems to be unnecessary.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Milan L.:

Your tenant is trying to take advantage of your naivete. It's time to learn to stand up to them.

I have a clause in my lease that basically says they were given the chance to inspect the property before applying for it. If they choose to rent a property, that implies they are accepting it in "as is, where is" condition. I will fix things that break, but I will not make changes or improvements to the property just because the tenant asks.

If they are that unhappy, give them one chance to break the lease and move out. if they choose to stay, that is evidence they are happy with the property and will fulfill their lease.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied

A haggler on intake may be a harbinger of things to come.

Greasy grates should have been delt with on the turn.

https://www.tiktok.com/@vanesamaro91/video/ 

Good Luck!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Mason Weiss
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Milan L.:

Hi, I am new landlord here and recently rented out a house. The tenant asked for replacement of the stove burner grate due to grease covered. It costs about $200. There is no functional issue to the burner and rather seems to be cosmetic. Please advise if this is reasonable to change. Thanks.

just a side note, the tenant has requested first month free rental, windows coverings (not satisfied with the new blinds being provided), and free utilities for 5 days. We have try to accommodate all the items she pointed out, but this seems to be unnecessary.

It is one thing to offer incentives upon signing the lease, another to roll over at every request. I would see if you could clean the stove grate before replacing it. However, if the tenant is adamant, it might be time to say enough is enough. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick O'Sullivan
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

At $200, unless its almost new or a high end stove, you may want to consider a new one instead. We usually don't have a lot in appliance repairs since it usually makes more sense to get a new or like new one.