Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mary Joe
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Buying and Transferring to LLC same year trigger TWICE the ppty tax hike in Florida?

Mary Joe
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted May 16 2024, 08:59

Hello, if I purchase a rental property in Miami this year and close under my name, and then transfer the title to a LLC the same year, do I need to anticipate TWO times the property tax hike for next year?   First reassessment when closing under my name, and then second reassessment when transferring the title to a LLC  , all happening within 30 days in the same year.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Diego Curbelo
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
Replied May 22 2024, 08:55

Hi Mary!

If you purchase a rental property in Miami and close under your name, the property will be reassessed for property tax purposes at that time. When you subsequently transfer the title to an LLC within the same year, it will typically trigger another reassessment.

This means you are likely to face two property tax reassessments: one when you close under your name and another when you transfer the title to the LLC, even if both transactions occur within 30 days. This is because the transfer to the LLC is considered a change in ownership, which prompts a reassessment based on the fair market value at the time of the transfer.

Admittedly, property tax implications are not my area of expertise, so I strongly recommend consulting with a local real estate attorney or tax advisor for precise guidance tailored to your situation.

Additionally, if you need property management services for multifamily properties in Miami, Curbelo Capital Management specializes in this area and would be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Diego Curbelo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 23 2024, 05:11

@Mary Joe in most states, a property tax reassessment chases market value.

So, if you do the 2nd transfer soon after the first, the impact on property tax amount should be minimal.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes