Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
My tenants kid is a theft, can i keep him off my property ?

Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Posted Dec 10 2023, 09:40

2 former tenants whom i evicted, and have been caught stealing from my property, come to visit, and often stay overnight at his mothers apartment, also my building, but in a different town. Yes, this theft is recorded with the police.

I think they more or less are living there, but proving that is another matter, as they are claiming they live with a different relative, but their cars are often at my apartment building.

No issues so far with the mother, can i get a no trespass order against them, because of the thefts? I would rather not have to, not renew her lease, just to make the thieves stay away. They are often taking up the limited parking spaces, which the other tenants are complaining about, hence why i know they are there most of the time. One tenant keeps sending me pics of them or their cars. He has had a physical altercation with the boyfriend of this couple.

Open to all suggestions or ideas.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 10 2023, 11:40

I hope all is well I would over protect myself in this situation things have gotten physical and nobody needs to get hurt. Whether it is litigation or surveillance I would do whatever it takes to protect yourself and your investment 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Dec 10 2023, 11:43

If parking spaces are limited, they should be assigned to units.  Talk to a local towing company to see what you need to do to get them to help you enforce it (ie what signage do they need so they can tow if you call with a complaint)?

Start by reminding everyone of the terms of the lease specifically parking and guests.  If the other tenants are complaining, then you may need to not renew the mom's lease because they will keep visiting her.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Dec 10 2023, 14:10

Non-renewal is a no-brainer.  If the lease maturity is too far out, enforce the visitor provisions in your lease (mine allows no more than 14 days) and send notice to quit or eviction will be filed.  Discuss this your resident and then proceed.  There are tons of good residents that don't come with thieves attached.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Dec 10 2023, 14:39

Thanks, cameras will being going up soon. Albeit it’s winter in Ohio and i prefer working inside and have plenty of indoor work needing done.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Dec 10 2023, 14:42

Theresa Harris - thanks, planning to speak to local towing company this week.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Dec 10 2023, 14:46

@Mike Dymski

I always use month to month leases, much easier if things go to court, as the lease is only good if it’s paid by the fifth.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 10 2023, 15:05

@Steven Westlake I am with Theresa if parking is limited hit them on parking. Then do a lease violation if they live there.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Dec 10 2023, 15:30

Get rid of the mother anyway you can, as soon as you can...!

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 10 2023, 23:59
Assign numbered parking spots, tow away anyone else. Call the police on any thieves. If mom is harboring thieves in her apartment. evict her.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Apr 19 2024, 20:33

@Bruce Woodruff - update - non renewal of lease, she left early February, left a mess, took 3 x 10 dumpsters.

See pics below.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Apr 19 2024, 21:44
Quote from @Steven Westlake:

@Bruce Woodruff - update - non renewal of lease, she left early February, left a mess, took 3 x 10 dumpsters.

See pics below.

Exactly what I would have expected. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 20 2024, 05:47

For future reference, birds of a feather flock together. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

You evicted these tenants, but you kept a relative and allowed the evicted tenants to return for visits. I would have removed the relative and been done with the home fam damily.

I suspect there were issues with the mother, but you allowed her misbehavior. Most tenants don't make that big of a mess in six months. Inspect regularly, then remove the tenants who can't maintain their units in decent condition.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Apr 20 2024, 08:07

@JD Martin - FYI, she was an inherited tenant when i acquired the building and had always paid rent. Albeit paid her share of the rent, as metropolitan housing paid about 80% for her.

I should have been more proactive, but money was coming in, so I figured i had bigger fish to fry.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Apr 20 2024, 08:07

@Nathan Gesner - FYI, she was an inherited tenant when i acquired the building and had always paid rent. Albeit paid her share of the rent, as metropolitan housing paid about 80% for her.

I should have been more proactive, but money was coming in, so I figured i had bigger fish to fry.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 20 2024, 11:30

@Nathan Gesner - FYI, she was an inherited tenant when i acquired the building and had always paid rent. Albeit paid her share of the rent, as metropolitan housing paid about 80% for her.

In my experience, tenants on housing vouchers are "low quality" tenants. They bring steady income, but they often bring problems right along with them. Most of my Section 8 tenants left on a bad note and resulted in financial losses. I no longer accept Section 8 because the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Apr 20 2024, 17:19

2 former tenants whom i evicted, and have been caught stealing from my property, come to visit, and often stay overnight at his mothers apartment, also my building, but in a different town. Yes, this theft is recorded with the police.

I think they more or less are living there, but proving that is another matter, as they are claiming they live with a different relative, but their cars are often at my apartment building.

No issues so far with the mother, can i get a no trespass order against them, because of the thefts? I would rather not have to, not renew her lease, just to make the thieves stay away. They are often taking up the limited parking spaces, which the other tenants are complaining about, hence why i know they are there most of the time. One tenant keeps sending me pics of them or their cars. He has had a physical altercation with the boyfriend of this couple.

Open to all suggestions or ideas.

The mom being there while the kids are not allowed to be there will never work. She will never side with the landlord over her kids. Evict the mom.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Apr 20 2024, 19:17

Low quality-no arguments from me.

I still have 2 that were under that system. I say were because 1 of them moved in a new boyfriend who has a full time job and they now they pay without the assistance.

No issues with either of them so far.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 21 2024, 16:51

See pics below.

This is why my handyman goes inside every rental property every 90 days to replace the AC filters. Don’t let this mess build up over time. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Westlake
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Bellefontaine Ohio
Replied Apr 21 2024, 17:19

@Kristi K.- good point