Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Donato
Votes |
Yes or No to ceiling fans in rentals?

Vincent Donato
Posted

I have a rental duplex in Lakewood, Ohio. This older home has older ceiling fans in the bedrooms.

I'm planning to replace all the fans with LED light but wanted to hear peoples experiences on this.

My thoughts are, ceiling fans are another object in a rental that break a lot, they get dusty and gross, and these don't provide much light to the rooms. Tenants never change the lightbulbs on them, and not sure if they even get used. An LED lights up the room so much better and does not get dusty.

No, the house does not have central air, but this is Ohio so A/C window units are commonly used for the couple months of the year they are needed.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied
Quote from @Vincent Donato:

I have a rental duplex in Lakewood, Ohio. This older home has older ceiling fans in the bedrooms.

I'm planning to replace all the fans with LED light but wanted to hear peoples experiences on this.

My thoughts are, ceiling fans are another object in a rental that break a lot, they get dusty and gross, and these don't provide much light to the rooms. Tenants never change the lightbulbs on them, and not sure if they even get used. An LED lights up the room so much better and does not get dusty.

No, the house does not have central air, but this is Ohio so A/C window units are commonly used for the couple months of the year they are needed.

You way overthinking this, put up a fan for 70 bux. BTW, I have 10 years of experience out there doing 1ks of move in and outs, 

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Congrats on the rental property in Lakewood!  That' a great area for rentals.  I would suggest keeping the ceiling fans since it does get really hot here in the summer months and since Lakewood is a nicer area, a lot of the rentals already have central air. Unless you're providing window air units, I would keep them for your tenants sake.  If they never had them they probably wouldn't miss em, but you know once you remove them they'll be complaining about how hot it is.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Jarusook
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Recommend ceiling fans. Tenants will appreciate it and fairly inexpensive. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Alan DeRossett California,   I get it but the rest of the country I don't believe has as restrictive regulations or commands higher rents due to those type of improvements. 

User Stats

Votes
Alan DeRossett
  • Investor
  • Thousand Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Thousand Oaks, CA
Replied
It is not just California it applies to HUD or any low-interest loan you may want to get for a certified PEER Healthy home or Green Mortgage. Installing small things like a heat pump and insulation with new double or triple-pane windows for snow regions. Getting a home certified as Healthy clean indoor air and clean water limits your liability too and increases the standard of living for tenants if they're not getting sick from indoor air pollution or lead in the Water they have the most time to work to pay us rent. The lower interest rates on a Green loan should be motivation enough if you value cash flow. Canada has the same as the US now. check out Hud The Title I Property Improvement Loan Program https://www.hud.gov/program_of...

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Late reply but I just came across this because the investment company who owns my house did exactly what you’re considering doing. There’s vaulted ceilings. I moved in back in March and everything was fine until the heat wave hit in June (I’m in northern Alabama). Ever since then my hvac has run from 8 am til midnight and won’t cool any less than 75-76 degrees. I’ve put in a work order because I don’t feel like I should have to spend $200-$300 on fans simply because the landlord was worried I “wouldn’t clean my ceiling fans.” Just fyi I have a special tool for cleaning my fans. I have one pedestal fan that I use to move air & it helps, but it’s loud. But hey my landlord won’t have to deal with replacing ceiling fans…might have a busted HVAC pretty soon though. Something to keep in mind.