Tenants left house with bad dog urine smell. Fix?

Tenants left house with bad dog urine smell. Fix?

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote

My previous tenants who left in March, 2023 violated lease on multiple occasions. Biggest issue is that they kept 2 dogs without notifying me who seem to be peeing in the house for a long time. Loft and stairs have the worst smell while bedrooms are manageable. New tenant is extremely upset since previous tenant temporarily masked the odor; and now them and their familu have to deal with it. 

What is a reasonsably priced action I could take to fix this dog smell problem? Please provide some recommendations.  Thank you. 

1Reply
289 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y

@Kashif Ali Khan Welcome to BP! Pet odors can be nasty! In my case there was dog urine all over and the PM was not inspecting. We had to remove carpeting and paint the subfloor with Kilz. We ran an ozone machine for a few days as well (people can't be present). With tenants you can't do that so hopefully vinegar and some cleaners made specifically for pet odors-Angry Orange etc will help. There are videos on youtube. All the best!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Kashif Ali Khan Welcome to BP! Pet odors can be nasty! In my case there was dog urine all over and the PM was not inspecting. We had to remove carpeting and paint the subfloor with Kilz. We ran an ozone machine for a few days as well (people can't be present). With tenants you can't do that so hopefully vinegar and some cleaners made specifically for pet odors-Angry Orange etc will help. There are videos on youtube. All the best!

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 214 votes
    3y

    @Kashif Ali Khan I understand your frustration and concern regarding the dog smell issue left behind by your previous tenants. It's essential to address this problem promptly to ensure the health and well-being of your new tenants and maintain the value of your property.

    Here are a few recommendations you could consider:

    Deep Cleaning: Start by performing a thorough deep cleaning of the affected areas. This will include removing any dirt, debris, and urine stains, as well as sanitizing the surfaces. You could hire a professional cleaning company with experience in removing pet odors to ensure the best results.

    Odor Eliminators: After the deep cleaning, you could also use odor eliminators specifically designed for pet odors. There are various types of odor eliminators available in the market, such as sprays, powders, and air purifiers, which could help neutralize the smell.

    Replace Damaged Items: If any carpets, rugs, or furniture have been damaged beyond repair due to the dog urine, you may need to consider replacing them. This could be an additional expense, but it will help ensure the problem is fully resolved.

    Prevent Future Occurrences: You could also consider adding a pet policy to your lease agreement and conducting regular inspections to prevent any future occurrences of pets being kept on the property without your knowledge.

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyle Spearin:

    @Kashif Ali Khan I understand your frustration and concern regarding the dog smell issue left behind by your previous tenants. It's essential to address this problem promptly to ensure the health and well-being of your new tenants and maintain the value of your property.

    Here are a few recommendations you could consider:

    Deep Cleaning: Start by performing a thorough deep cleaning of the affected areas. This will include removing any dirt, debris, and urine stains, as well as sanitizing the surfaces. You could hire a professional cleaning company with experience in removing pet odors to ensure the best results.

    Odor Eliminators: After the deep cleaning, you could also use odor eliminators specifically designed for pet odors. There are various types of odor eliminators available in the market, such as sprays, powders, and air purifiers, which could help neutralize the smell.

    Replace Damaged Items: If any carpets, rugs, or furniture have been damaged beyond repair due to the dog urine, you may need to consider replacing them. This could be an additional expense, but it will help ensure the problem is fully resolved.

    Prevent Future Occurrences: You could also consider adding a pet policy to your lease agreement and conducting regular inspections to prevent any future occurrences of pets being kept on the property without your knowledge.


     I feel like there should be a disclaimer added to posts that were written by a chatbot lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ocean Springs, MS · Member since 2022 · 349 posts · 301 votes
    3y

    The first thing I would do is try spraying the walls and floors down with Natures Miracle and see how that does. If that doesn't do it, the urine has likely soaked beyond the surface level, which means I would look at replacing baseboards and flooring, to include recommendations above of using Kilz on the subfloor. 

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    @Kashif Ali Khan Welcome to BP! Pet odors can be nasty! In my case there was dog urine all over and the PM was not inspecting. We had to remove carpeting and paint the subfloor with Kilz. We ran an ozone machine for a few days as well (people can't be present). With tenants you can't do that so hopefully vinegar and some cleaners made specifically for pet odors-Angry Orange etc will help. There are videos on youtube. All the best!

    Thank you so much for prompt response.
    1) Did you have to change the carpet for the entire house or only specific sections that you suspected as cause of smell?
    2) Did you have to remove subflooring (baseboards) as well? 
    3) Do you think removing carpet and padding; painting sub floors with Kilz will do the job without subflooring removal?
    4) Which Kilz you used to paint the subfloor? Can you please share a link?

    Thank you so much!! 
  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Joel Case:

    The first thing I would do is try spraying the walls and floors down with Natures Miracle and see how that does. If that doesn't do it, the urine has likely soaked beyond the surface level, which means I would look at replacing baseboards and flooring, to include recommendations above of using Kilz on the subfloor. 


    Joel, do you have any experience using Natures Miracle? Did it help you? 

    If Urine has gone into the padding; do I still need to change the base boards? Painting base boards with Kilz and replacing carpet and stairs won't do the job? 

  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    I was just thinking the same thing! Why take the time to ask ChatGPT and then cut and paste its answer to a question you have nothing to add to yourself?

    I guess to up your post count? Not fair: All 1800+ of mine were done the old fashioned way!
    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Enzyme-based cleaners (such as Nature's Miracle) tend to work best, but you really need to soak it (depending on the amount and depth/strength of the urine smell, which it sounds like is pretty bad in your case). 

    BTW - I mean soak the subfloors and baseboards. In most cases, you're unlikely to every get it out of carpets (or get it out of the subfloors when going through layers of carpet and padding). 

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Ocean Springs, MS · Member since 2022 · 349 posts · 301 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:
    Quote from @Joel Case:

    The first thing I would do is try spraying the walls and floors down with Natures Miracle and see how that does. If that doesn't do it, the urine has likely soaked beyond the surface level, which means I would look at replacing baseboards and flooring, to include recommendations above of using Kilz on the subfloor. 


    Joel, do you have any experience using Natures Miracle? Did it help you? 

    If Urine has gone into the padding; do I still need to change the base boards? Painting base boards with Kilz and replacing carpet and stairs won't do the job? 


     Yes, Natures Miracle works well for me for my senior dog. 

    It depends on if they urinated on the baseboards, looking at the time involved with removing the baseboards and spraying behind them, spraying the baseboards thoroughly, I would be inclined just to buy new baseboard and slap it up, but that might be a bit more work on stairs. I believe you need to see exactly where they peed. If it's just on the floor then you might be able to get away with leaving the baseboards alone. More sniffing is needed!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Unfortunately, it will get worse with warmer weather.  

    Remove floor; mop subfloor with water/bleach mix, let dry, 2 coats of Kiltz, 2 coats of poly sealant.

  • Technology · Dallas, TX · Member since 2022 · 468 posts · 297 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jeff Copeland:
    I was just thinking the same thing! Why take the time to ask ChatGPT and then cut and paste its answer to a question you have nothing to add to yourself?

    I guess to up your post count? Not fair: All 1800+ of mine were done the old fashioned way!

     Not to hijack this thread, but ChatGPT/AI generated content is not allowed here on the forums. Please report it to the moderators and we will deal with it. Also know that we’re going to be in an arms race against the AIs for at least a couple years.

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Aaron Breckenridge:

     Not to hijack this thread, but ChatGPT/AI generated content is not allowed here on the forums. Please report it to the moderators and we will deal with it. 

    I'm guessing you were on the student council. 
  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:

    Unfortunately, it will get worse with warmer weather.  

    Remove floor; mop subfloor with water/bleach mix, let dry, 2 coats of Kiltz, 2 coats of poly sealant.

    Thank you so much. Do I also need to use 2 coats of poly sealant in addition to 2 coats of Kiltz? Just Kiltz won't do?
    Also,  which type of Kiltz will work the best?
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:

    Unfortunately, it will get worse with warmer weather.  

    Remove floor; mop subfloor with water/bleach mix, let dry, 2 coats of Kiltz, 2 coats of poly sealant.

    Thank you so much. Do I also need to use 2 coats of poly sealant in addition to 2 coats of Kiltz? Just Kiltz won't do?
    Also,  which type of Kiltz will work the best?
    Yes, if you want it corrected without worry. 




  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:

    Unfortunately, it will get worse with warmer weather.  

    Remove floor; mop subfloor with water/bleach mix, let dry, 2 coats of Kiltz, 2 coats of poly sealant.

    Thank you so much. Do I also need to use 2 coats of poly sealant in addition to 2 coats of Kiltz? Just Kiltz won't do?
    Also,  which type of Kiltz will work the best?
    Yes, if you want it corrected without worry. 





     Thank you so much.  You have been tremendously helpful. Can you also please recommend a good quality poly sealant? Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:

    Unfortunately, it will get worse with warmer weather.  

    Remove floor; mop subfloor with water/bleach mix, let dry, 2 coats of Kiltz, 2 coats of poly sealant.

    Thank you so much. Do I also need to use 2 coats of poly sealant in addition to 2 coats of Kiltz? Just Kiltz won't do?
    Also,  which type of Kiltz will work the best?
    Yes, if you want it corrected without worry. 

    Thank you so much.  You have been tremendously helpful. Can you also please recommend a good quality poly sealant? Thank you.


  • Rental Property Investor · Beavercreek OH · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 970 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:
    Quote from @Terrell Garren:

    Unfortunately, it will get worse with warmer weather.  

    Remove floor; mop subfloor with water/bleach mix, let dry, 2 coats of Kiltz, 2 coats of poly sealant.

    Thank you so much. Do I also need to use 2 coats of poly sealant in addition to 2 coats of Kiltz? Just Kiltz won't do?
    Also,  which type of Kiltz will work the best?

     In my experience, (150+ doors) only oil based Kilz works well enough to cover and seal in the odor. It is much more difficult to work with then traditional Kilz, but no poly is necessary after.

    Gary

  • Rental Property Investor · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 42 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kashif Ali Khan:

    My previous tenants who left in March, 2023 violated lease on multiple occasions. Biggest issue is that they kept 2 dogs without notifying me who seem to be peeing in the house for a long time. Loft and stairs have the worst smell while bedrooms are manageable. New tenant is extremely upset since previous tenant temporarily masked the odor; and now them and their familu have to deal with it. 

    What is a reasonsably priced action I could take to fix this dog smell problem? Please provide some recommendations.  Thank you. 

    I owned a carpet cleaning business for years, so here are my two cents. First off, what gender if you know, and how big were the dogs? Males will go around the edges and corners of furniture and females will spot everywhere. If the dogs were small it will be easier to deal with for obvious reasons. Use a black light at night to get a good understanding of the level of contamination. If you have a few spots, just treat them. I can give you the name of some good spotters. if you end up having to seal the subfloor use the attached photo. Way easier and more effective.


     
  • Investor · PA · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Probably better to just hire a professional cleaning service that specializes in pet odor removal. For DIY, you can replace any significantly damaged flooring and such, and use odor killing products like Nature's Miracle, Rocco & Roxie, and Simple Solution if you don't want to try any of the above recommendations.

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you very much. I am not sure if they were male or female. One of them was a small dog for sure (ESA). 

    Other one seemed to be a medium size which used to live on truckers truck but he would bring it to the house anytime he is not the road.

    New tenant also complained abot what looks like splatter on one of the walls. Urine smell is bad on stairs and game room where they were keeping the kenels. There is no smell in living room or kitchen; and very minimal smell in bedrooms. 

    Can you pleas recommed some spotters for this dog urine smell?

    Also, in case of painting the sub flooring; do you recommend the one you have sent or Kliz? 

    Thank you. 

  • Financial Advisor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    For $25 bucks you can go to the local janitor supply and purchase a jug of BioPlex D. Then just have your cleaning person spray it. I always use a pump sprayer. 1 or 2 applications gets it done!

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    I comprehend your distress and worry over the issue of the dog smell left behind by your former tenants. It is crucial to promptly address this problem to safeguard the health and well-being of your new tenants and maintain the value of your property.

    To resolve this issue, here are some suggestions you may want to consider:

    Initiate a Thorough Cleaning: Begin by performing a comprehensive deep cleaning of the affected areas. This includes removing any dirt, debris, and urine stains, as well as sanitizing the surfaces. You may wish to engage a professional cleaning company that specializes in eliminating pet odors for optimal results.

    Use Odor Neutralizers: Following the deep cleaning, you may also want to use odor neutralizers specifically created for pet odors. There are various kinds of odor neutralizers available in the market, such as sprays, powders, and air purifiers, which can aid in neutralizing the smell.

    Replace Damaged Items: If any carpets, rugs, or furniture have been irreparably damaged by the dog urine, you may need to consider replacing them. This may entail additional expenses, but it will help ensure that the issue is fully resolved.

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    I just had this happen to me. I walked through the house a few months before tenants moved out and noticed a musty smell (they have 2 dogs and a cat) I assumed it was a dog smell. Two carpet deep cleanings got done and the smell was still around. Luckily I had intentions of replacing the carpets anyway. I called the carpet company because I live out of state they gave me the quote I went with it. At this point I had already used some of the tenants security deposit. When the carpet company pulled up the old carpet and pad they noticed urine stains on the plywood. To fix the issue they charged me an additional $225 to mop the plywood with water/bleach mix and then rolled kilz out everywhere to get the smell out and put down new carpet and pad. I reached out to the old tenants and showed them the $225 quote for the bleach and kilz and promptly used the rest of their security deposit to pay for it. 

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Christopher Eaton:

    I just had this happen to me. I walked through the house a few months before tenants moved out and noticed a musty smell (they have 2 dogs and a cat) I assumed it was a dog smell. Two carpet deep cleanings got done and the smell was still around. Luckily I had intentions of replacing the carpets anyway. I called the carpet company because I live out of state they gave me the quote I went with it. At this point I had already used some of the tenants security deposit. When the carpet company pulled up the old carpet and pad they noticed urine stains on the plywood. To fix the issue they charged me an additional $225 to mop the plywood with water/bleach mix and then rolled kilz out everywhere to get the smell out and put down new carpet and pad. I reached out to the old tenants and showed them the $225 quote for the bleach and kilz and promptly used the rest of their security deposit to pay for it. 


     Thank you  so much Chris. I think I could really use your help here as my situation is exactly same as yours other than security deposit part. I wasn't this lucky. I am out of state as well. Live in Texas and rental property is in Minnesota. 

    My tenant ran out of money and couldn't pay rent for 2 months. They gave me extra deposit of $700 plus I already had a deposit of 2 months which they asked to use towards the rent. Plus they said that they will get the house fully cleaned, I could use additional $700 for cleaning etc; and most importantly they would help me to rent it.

    Little did I know that they were keeping 2 dogs instead of one which would be peeing inside the house leaving behind bad smell. New tenat is upset and I don't blame them. They are saying that the smell is in game room (where dogs were kept) and stairs. I have few questions if you could help with :

    Where is your rental house located? 

    Approximately, how big of an area they had to clean with bleach and use kliz?

    Did they tell you how many coats of bleach they used?

    Did $225 also include price of kliz? 

    How much of an area you had to recarpet and what was the total they charge you?

    Can you please tell me which type of kliz they use?

    Lastly, do you smell anything now? Is it all gone?

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Sorry to hear about them not being able to pay, also sounds like they violated the lease agreement by bringing animals into the house. That’s a difficult situation. I would make the old tenants pay to replace carpets since they caused the problem. Easier said than done but thats my initial reaction. Maybe reach out to an attorney get their input.


    My house is in the panhandle of Florida.

    Room was 120sq ft

    They did two coats

    225$ included bleach kilz and labor.

    Total carpet for two rooms and a staircase was 2800$ even with the cheapest carpet type they offered.

    Unfortunately I don’t know the brand they used but I’ve used just the original kind at Home Depot before and it works fine.

    My wife was able to get back in that area for a few weeks, so she’ll be doing a walk thru this week. If anything smells off we’ll be contacting the carpet company to figure out more options. 

    Hope this helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.