Landlord/Tenant laws in PA (Allegheny County)

Landlord/Tenant laws in PA (Allegheny County)

Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes

Hi Everyone, 

I am having troubles finding the landlord/tenant laws for the Allegheny County in PA. The only document I have found is "The Landlord and Tenant Act of 1951" (https://www.legis.state.pa.us/...).

Is there anything else I need? 

Any advice on where to find the appropriate documents would be much appreciated!

Thank you, 

Andrea

1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Andrea Campo:

Landlord laws are usually established at the State level. You'll occasionally find some laws at the City level or from an HOA.

Here's PA law: https://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...

Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice pertaining to management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - they tell you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated every year and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. There is one book for 49 states and a separate book for California.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2022 · 257 posts · 161 votes
    3y
    I can't speak to Pennsylvania or Allegheny County in particular, but I'm not sure there would be
    laws or regulations like that at the county level. Have you tried looking at the specific municipality?
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrea Campo:

    Landlord laws are usually established at the State level. You'll occasionally find some laws at the City level or from an HOA.

    Here's PA law: https://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...

    Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice pertaining to management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - they tell you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated every year and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. There is one book for 49 states and a separate book for California.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Elise Bickel TauberBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 198 votes
    3y

    I agree with the above. Landlord tenant laws are set by the State. What are you specifically looking for? There are additional rules/laws for magistrates etc when it comes to certain things. Is it eviction? Deposits? etc? 

  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Andrea Campo:

    Landlord laws are usually established at the State level. You'll occasionally find some laws at the City level or from an HOA.

    Here's PA law: https://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...

    Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice pertaining to management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - they tell you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated every year and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. There is one book for 49 states and a separate book for California.


     Thank you Nathan, 

    I will definitely get the guide.

    Andrea

  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Elise Bickel Tauber:

    I agree with the above. Landlord tenant laws are set by the State. What are you specifically looking for? There are additional rules/laws for magistrates etc when it comes to certain things. Is it eviction? Deposits? etc? 


     Hi Elise, 

    Thank you for your reply. I am not looking for anything in particular, just trying to learn as much as possible since I recently moved to the US and I would like to start investing in rental properties.

    Andrea

  • Attorney · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Generally the Landlord Tenant Act is the controlling law in Allegheny County. There are also basic default laws in PA that the Act doesn’t fully cover, such as habitability issues.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Andrea Campo

    Yep, the Landlord-Tenant Act of 1951 is still what governs almost all landlord-tenant relations in Allegheny County. The Act has been updated several times since then, and the updates are included in the document you posted.

    The trick is to figure out what that legalese document says, of course.

    This handbook will help:
    https://www.pmconline.org/reso...

    What you're probably looking for, help with evictions, is this:
    https://www.alleghenycountyana...

    If you need something else, contact me and we'll talk about it. To state the obvious, I'm not a lawyer. Also to state the obvious given my post count, I've been around a bit, as has @Nathan Gesner, and you should buy the book he posted about. I did.
     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.