Tenant with mental health illness?

Tenant with mental health illness?

Greg GaudetPro Member
Investor · Pukalani, HI · Member since 2017 · 414 posts · 291 votes

Aloha All, 

Has anyone had experience with tenants showing signs of untreated mental health? 

I have a 4-plex and had a new tenant move in June 1st. His references and background checked out, and he's actually a pretty high earner with around six figure income, business owner, and seemed like a smart and professional guy in his 50s that had recently been divorced. The only strange thing was that he wanted to rent my studio that doesn't have interior access to the bathroom. It's only $1,200/mo since you have to walk outside to get to the bathroom. 

Last night he called me saying that every night for the last 2 weeks there have been 2-3 guys standing outside his door and window and he has heard them talking about how they're going to break in. But every time he opens the door to investigate, or he calls the cops, they run off. At first I was really concerned for my tenants safety, he was so scared that he was looking for a hotel that would take him and his 2 big dogs. But then I spoke to the other 3 tenants, who have lived there for 3-5 years, and they said they think he's paranoid because they can hear anytime someone walks by, and they haven't heard anything. They were even sitting outside one night when the guys supposedly ran off, and they said there was no one there. Then I found out about more red flags, like that he would randomly be standing outside cursing at himself and other strange behavior. Last night one of the other tenants placed one of his security camera facing the studio and the only thing it captured was when the cops came after he called them again. 

I'm not a doctor, so I have no business trying to diagnose someone, but I think it's seems very likely that mental illness is the root of this issue and that he must be hallucinating. But I don't know what I can do. Thankfully we only signed a 6 month lease, but we still have 4 months to go and I don't want my other tenants to have to deal with it that long. It would be totally different if it were a single family home and my neighbors had issues with him.. but these neighbors are also my tenants and they deserve to enjoy a peaceful, comfortable and safe home. 

I'll talk to my lawyer about whether we can terminate the lease, but in the meantime I am also curious if anyone has any experience or suggestions on how I can get him help? I have to imagine that whatever is going on with him is seriously impeding his ability to live a happy life, and chances are strong that there is treatment that can really improve his quality of life. But I can't make him go to the doctor? 

Anyone dealt with anything like this before? 

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Greg Gaudet:

First off, it's funny that we live in a time where a studio is "only" $1,200 a month because it doesn't have direct access to a bathroom.

Second, there is a chance his behavior could affect the other tenants, and it's definitely bothering you and the police, so keep a close eye on him. I had a tenant in his 80s that kept imagining someone at the foot of his bed or people breaking in and stealing his milk and t-shirts. A more recent situation was a tenant of five years, only 38 years old, but he had a minor brain injury and literally called me and the police about a dozen times over a three-week period, claiming the woman upstairs was locked in a closet and her boyfriend was threatening to kill her. Every time he called she was at work or in another City four hours away.

My recommendation is to talk to him. Explain that you've monitored the situation and he's hallucinating. See if you can get the contact information for a friend or relative that can help with the situation. If not, you may have to let it play out and hope he makes it another four months.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Gaudet:

    First off, it's funny that we live in a time where a studio is "only" $1,200 a month because it doesn't have direct access to a bathroom.

    Second, there is a chance his behavior could affect the other tenants, and it's definitely bothering you and the police, so keep a close eye on him. I had a tenant in his 80s that kept imagining someone at the foot of his bed or people breaking in and stealing his milk and t-shirts. A more recent situation was a tenant of five years, only 38 years old, but he had a minor brain injury and literally called me and the police about a dozen times over a three-week period, claiming the woman upstairs was locked in a closet and her boyfriend was threatening to kill her. Every time he called she was at work or in another City four hours away.

    My recommendation is to talk to him. Explain that you've monitored the situation and he's hallucinating. See if you can get the contact information for a friend or relative that can help with the situation. If not, you may have to let it play out and hope he makes it another four months.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    I would suggest you talk to him and say one of the other tenants has a camera that after hearing what was happening repositioned their camera to better view the area and nothing other than the police appeared on the camera.  Tell him he can get a ring camera, but perhaps there is something else wrong and he should see a doctor.

  • Greg GaudetPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Pukalani, HI · Member since 2017 · 414 posts · 291 votes
    4y

    Just wanted to give you guys an update.. 

    After getting more complaints from the other tenants that this guy was walking his dogs outside their windows between 3-5am and disturbing them, not picking up after his dogs and weeks worth of poo was starting to stink up the inside of their unit (bc their windows face the yard), etc., I had a talk with the tenant and explained that it didn't seem like this turned out to be a good fit, and that I think we'd both be happier if we just agreed to terminate the rental agreement. 

    I'm very relieved that he agreed, and he signed the mutual agreement for early lease termination. He said he'll be moving out 9/25, fingers crossed it goes smooth! 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Here are a couple take-aways for you.

    Consider offering MTM leases in the future, as you can more easily disentangle yourself from someone whom is not fitting in and messing up the feng shui.

    It wasn't required this time, but every time you have a "conversation" with a tenant, always memorialize it in writing by sending a letter, restating what was discussed and the action steps that were agreed to be taken.  I would follow this up with a formal "notice to cure" if the issue was not immediately corrected.

    Good luck on a smooth transition.  Hopefully he goes without any more drama.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.