Chicago Grease Trap Manhole Cover - Where To Buy?

Chicago Grease Trap Manhole Cover - Where To Buy?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 67 votes

Chicagoans are aware that many properties contain an old grease trap in the yard. Welp, I bought a property and its missing. Never had this happen.

Any leads on where to buy these? 15.5" diameter hole with an 18" diameter lip. The existing sleeve is the typical concrete, so I assume I'd just buy aforementioned heavy cover and put it on top.

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

@Eric L. I found one on amazon.com that worked ok. It was lighter since it was plastic, but it was ok. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Eric La Pratt

    Check grainger

    If not google site utility company in your area and call them - they should be able to tell you

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Eric L. I found one on amazon.com that worked ok. It was lighter since it was plastic, but it was ok. 

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Eric L. there is a place advanced concrete on Grand Ave that should have them or they can point you in the right direction. I would start by calling them. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 67 votes
    4y

    Thanks all.

    @Mark Ainley I'll try advanced concrete and see what they say.
    @John Warren I can't seem to find the size I need on Amazon. The important piece here is the exploring kids in my building don't try to do something stupid. I was thinking something heavy was necessary to thwart that but then I saw my young child and their friends on their school playground pulling a small one up. So perhaps the plastic ones are better if I can screw it down. It would need a sleeve/insert thing I can secure to the concrete wall of the trap.
    @Chris Seveney Grainger was the first place I went - no dice. Local drain plumbers might have a good answer.

    When I find the answer, I'll post back here.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Eric L. I also would check with plumbing supply houses. I use Algor plumbing in Cicero for a lot of this type of thing. If they don't have it, they at least will know where to get it. 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Eric L. you might check Ferguson supply as well. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
    4y

    @Eric L. had the exact same problem. Manhole cover was rusted through. Just bought this one. It fits the opening. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
    4y

    @Eric L. I covered it with a heavy planter so that people won't try to mess with it.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 67 votes
    4y

    @Mark Ainley @John Warren @Chris Seveney & @Michael K.

    Henry Frerk & Sons on Belmont had the cast iron one in stock and ready to go for $62.79 out the door. Easy peasy. Best option out there, in my opinion.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Eric L. - Definitely appreciate the post and sharing the outcome.  

    Just curious, was the cover missing after you did the inspection, like someone took it?  Chicago definitely has some unique properties and situations.

  • Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    Vollmar Clay Products at 5835 W Touhy will have what you need if you are still looking. Underground construction materials (aka sewer stuff) is their specialty. Henry Frerk on Belmont would be my next guess, but Vollmar is guaranteed to have it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.