Asset management for multiple properties

Asset management for multiple properties

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone, I have a question about asset management when it comes to multiple properties. Specifically speaking in terms of how to financially manage it. Before I get to my question I want to make clear I am not asking about liability concerns; this is strictly a financial question. I currently have two rental properties and working on a third. I personally own them both, no LLC. Again, I know there's strong opinions on to have one or not but this is not about that… anyway, I am very organized and separate all Income and expenses from my personal bank account, and each rental. Each rental has its own bank account, I have spreadsheets for each showing what income and expenses were from what property. However, the more I acquire I can see that system can be quite cumbersome so my question is as follows:

Should I start an LLC as an asset management company to manage my assets? Meaning ALL rental income/ expenses flow in/ out of the LLC. One bank account, one spreadsheet to manage… just seems like it will streamline and make things easier. Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback and look forward to the insight!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

I don't see how starting an LLC will make things less cumbersome. If you do that you'll have extra tax returns, filings, new bank accounts, etc.

If all you're trying to do is combine your accounting then do just that - merge your separate accounts and do everything out of that one. It doesn't need to be an account owned by an LLC it can still be in your personal name.

Its also probably worth investing the time into learning an accounting software like QuickBooks as you will probably grow out of your spreadsheet method quickly.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I don't see how starting an LLC will make things less cumbersome. If you do that you'll have extra tax returns, filings, new bank accounts, etc.

    If all you're trying to do is combine your accounting then do just that - merge your separate accounts and do everything out of that one. It doesn't need to be an account owned by an LLC it can still be in your personal name.

    Its also probably worth investing the time into learning an accounting software like QuickBooks as you will probably grow out of your spreadsheet method quickly.

    Good luck!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I self manage all my properties and I use Excel. I have a tab for each property and a summary tab where I can see how they are all doing in one place. I keep contact info, AC filter size, magistrate info etc for each property. 

    Excel is very powerful and customizable.

    I have one bank account that everything (non IRA owned houses) flows through. My attorney and CPA got together and advised me this was the best way for me to manage things legally and for tax purposes.

  • Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    I agree with Joe- an LLC will make things more complicated from an accounting standpoint, not less. LLCs are best used for privacy and asset protection, although umbrella insurance can also be used for the latter.

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Thanks for all the responses. After more thought I agree with Joe and John. An LLC wouldn't make it any easier and would actually do the opposite and cost more money to do so. And John, I also agree, and j have some detailed excel spreadsheets as well. Thanks for the feedback and insight!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.