I am a rookie real estate investor and has one duplex as rental property. I was using Cozy to keep track of all expenses and bills which is now no longer avail. Do you have a recommendation for easy to use website/app to track my expenses, bills, etc?
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
Check out TenantCloud for property management. It's free for up to 75 units. If you want to accept online payments, pay just $10 a month. I believe it also does your marketing, application screening (applicant pays the fee), and more. It's just one of many property management softwares available for free or cheap.
Rental Property Investor · Central U. S. A. · Member since 2013 · 296 posts · 149 votes
4y
I started out with Excel, but moved up to Rentec Direct for property management/simple accounting. I also use QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020 for more advanced, CPA friendly accounting.
Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 399 posts · 168 votes
4y
I'm biased but honestly, excel remains the way to go. It's flexible, cheap (no membership cost if you already have a Microsoft office account), no privacy concern, etc. It's fairly easy to build something that matches exactly your needs or even find templates/spreadsheets online that do what you're looking for.
I'm quite familiar with the slew of landlord software options in the market. Over the last 1-2 years we have seen the industry change mostly in their pricing programs. What once used to be almost entirely free, now has small fees associated with them. Each software company is slightly different: flat monthly membership vs. transaction cost.
What's most important to you? If you had to put a priority list together, what are those top 2-3 features you need? Go ahead and skip online payment because they all have that. But try to be very specific.
I would also factor in your future portfolio growth. Without knowing your plans, if you have a goal of 20-50 units in 3 years or 5 units in 5 years, those could determine different software providers.
Accounting Software Recommendations - Quickbooks(Desktop), Quickbooks(Online), Stessa, Xero Online Storage to save receipts recommendations- Google Drive, Dropbox, Apple Drive Excel - to save information such as tenant name, lease start date, current rent, etc