Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Aboelela
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
A Balanced Life? - Tracking Expenses

Ahmed Aboelela
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Jersey
Posted Jul 25 2024, 14:12

G’day

How do you track your expenses and find a balance between being a spendthrift and being too conservative? What does that middle ground look like for you?         

Many Thanks

Ahmed Aboelela

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 27 2024, 06:25
Quote from @Ahmed Aboelela:

Practice, practice, practice!

I'm at a point where I can afford almost anything I want, but I still have to consider whether it will really bring me joy or if it's just a temporary impulse for a shot of dopamine. It's a struggle.

In my business, I am inundated with shiny objects that promise to make my business run better, faster, produce more income, etc. I have to slow down and really analyze the cost vs. benefit before jumping in.

My personal life is the same. It would be fun to have a motorcycle again and there's one for sale at a great price! But the truth is, I won't ride it enough to justify the cost, my wife can't/won't ride with me, the maintenance, storage, etc.

I also know that "stuff" brings stress. The more stuff (toys, decor, shoes, software apps, employees, etc), the less joy I experience. I try to minimize what I surround myself with so I can really enjoy my environment.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Tusing
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jul 29 2024, 10:25

My wife and I have been using everydollar budgeting app by Dave Ramsey for the past 8 years.  The premium membership is great for tracking expenses.  It links to your checking account and credit cards.  then you slide each expense to it budget category.  

As far as finding balance with spending - for us it all comes down to the budget.  We each have a spending budget and it accumulates each month.  So if there is an item that we really want to purchase then we will save up for that big purchase. The budget brings freedom and also helps to control impulse buying. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.